Steve Perry Criticizes Singers Who Uses Auto-Tune

Alex_C

Tele-Afflicted
Auto-tune as an effect, is fine. When singers use it all the time, it sucks the soul out of the performance. Imagine using it on guitar. Every note would be perfect, every stretch would snap to the chosen note. Vibrato would oscillate perfectly. Every guitarists would sound perfect, and the same, just like current vocalists sound the same. Note perfection in music kills the nuance.

Lou Tencodpees

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
In regards to a generation growing up on autotune, I think there is some validity to the discussion. A few years back a musician I respect posted a Youtube of his teen daughter singing. It was one of those cute girl with a ukelele type things. I'm guessing it was autotune in automatic mode without a whole lot of the "relax" mode engaged. Lots of snapping notes. The fan base discussion was preposterous once auto tune came into the conversation. They were saying it was a specific vocal technique (probably learned in some remote ancient village, I'm guessing lol).

My point being I think older critical ears are less accepting of the deception, especially when it is blatant (as so many commercial advertisements are these days) and the younger generations are so accustomed to it that passes as normal.

I do know that even when seated as the devil at the desk doing pitch correction myself, the ears and brain get fatigued quickly by the process. Judgement as to when you've gone too far gets quickly clouded. I'm thinking cosmetic surgeons to the stars have the same thing...just a little more filler...and a little more.

Alamo

Doctor of Teleocity
Too much use of autotune is like botox face fails!

go right ahead and google that :lol:

oldunc

Friend of Leo's
Auto-tune as an effect, is fine. When singers use it all the time, it sucks the soul out of the performance. Imagine using it on guitar. Every note would be perfect, every stretch would snap to the chosen note. Vibrato would oscillate perfectly. Every guitarists would sound perfect, and the same, just like current vocalists sound the same. Note perfection in music kills the nuance.

True to a considerable extent, but there's a great deal to singing, or any music, beyond hitting pitches; there is no "perfect".

EsquireOK

Poster Extraordinaire
I am by no means an expert on Auto-Tune and the modern music that tends to employ it. But from what I've heard of it in public places, it seems to be used more as an effect then as a means to get someone's track in tune.

It's kind of like the fuzz pedal. It was invented to make the guitar sound like a saxophone...and it's horrible at that job. But people found other uses for it.

I might not like the effect, but it's very far from the first vocal effect to be used in recording. So...whatever. I am sure there is a good use for it, that someone will, or already did, discover.

mindlobster

Tele-Afflicted
I already commented, but I will add that I use it sometimes. It's just about how much, and where. It's very useful for making a bunch of backing vocals fit together more tightly...I like the sound of something smooth and polished against the sound of something more raw. I also use comping...time stretching...all as and when I see fit. There are no one-size-fits-all rules for this stuff. Better to have it and not need it, etc.

TN Tele

Tele-Meister
Platinum Supporter
Auto tune as used in much of todays pop and rap music makes the hair on the back of my neck stand straight up. I am not a singer, and no amount of vocal training will ever make me one. I'm ok with that, better than pretending to be something I am not.

RollingBender

Tele-Afflicted
Vendor Member
I already commented, but I will add that I use it sometimes. It's just about how much, and where. It's very useful for making a bunch of backing vocals fit together more tightly...I like the sound of something smooth and polished against the sound of something more raw. I also use comping...time stretching...all as and when I see fit. There are no one-size-fits-all rules for this stuff. Better to have it and not need it, etc.

I’m not sure but I suppose the harmony vocal pedals fall into this same category. I’ve heard them used poorly many times (even once by yours truly) but with practice and a lot of time with the tool, I have worked it up to something that I think sounds very musical and pleasing. My band gets a lot of compliments on our vocal harmonies so there’s that.

I think the key is that I’ve worked with the tool a lot. I’ve learned what it can and cannot do and with the harmony pedal calculating it’s notes based on what I’m playing on the guitar, I’ve also modified my playing in parts so that the pedal behaves.

One of the most important things I’ve learned is that I can make the harmonies sound more natural and realistic by wandering into and away from the actual note with my voice and alternately, holding my note steady and changing the guitar chord behind it to change the vocal harmony notes. I’m not performing bluegrass or bluegrass style but some of the vocal techniques they use are what I am achieving.

Since the beginning of this thread, I have been paying more attention to pop music that happens around me. The use of AT as an effect became overplayed just after Cher did it. For the most part, the behind the scenes pitch correction is mostly behind the scenes and not noticed so much by me. The quality of the song writing is mostly atrocious though…