Steve Miller . . .

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Frank'n'censed, Mar 23, 2016.

1. phfobric

phfobric Former Member

Steve got mixed reviews in Orlando. O'do is a rocking town. Surprised MANY an artist, with our appreciation of their work. I remember at Eddie Graham's Sport's Stadium (THE Cow Palace), some years ago when John Kay of Steppenwolf jaw just dropped when he heard and felt the response he got from the Orlando crowd. Typical! Another venue, Kemp's Coliseum, at a time when the Steve Miller Band did some acoustic numbers, the crowd was just it's rowdy self, and were going nuts for some ROCK. Maybe rude, but enthusiastic, the crowd then had to endure a LECTURE from Steve, blah blah blah! LET'S ROCK, Steve! C'mon! I guess O'do was too small time for him. Kemp's later that year burned down. And I don't believe SMB ever made it back (previous post says he did Universal. I was wrong!). "Gotta bulldog in my Lear Jet! Gonna teach him how to fly, by myself. Gone. Solid gone!" Steve said the "Fly Like an Eagle" album was gonna be his swan song, and a flippant, "Good-bye!" HE MADE MILLIONS

2. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

Steve Miller writes perhaps the most inane, inarticulate lyrics of any 70s artist, and that's saying a lot. Otherwise, he's OK.

Blue Bill likes this.
  3. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Reading some of the disdain in this thread reminds of the old joke: How many guitar players does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
    10. One to actually do the work and nine to explain how they could either do it better or what's all wrong with the one guitar player.

I have always enjoyed Steve Miller, tons. Yeah, in a long career, he may have had a slack night or two and there's a few things that may not be my flavor, but that's a long career.

I've read that he was there in Chicago, in the 60's, like Elvin Bishop, Mike Bloomfield and Paul Butterfield. Before many of those with such discerning tastes might have even thought of such things. He's lived long enough to see most of the original band members pass away. Had his neck broke in a car crash. Got a little more mileage on the tires than any hundred critics.

He released an album not too long ago, based in blues & R&B, I think it's called Bingo! - pretty tasty.

Evabody is entitled to opinion, for sure, but looking down your nose too much will make you cross-eyed.

t guitar floyd, phfobric and Zepfan like this.
  4. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I saw The Church at one of the Disney venues just to the South and West of Orlando itself. The band had been majestic just a few nights before a fun crowd in New Orleans but the people in the FL audience were one of the most lousy, self absorbed audiences I have ever been among. The Church were bummed because their close friend Grant McLennan has just died (and they were 1000s of miles away) but when Kilby asked of those close to the bandstand for recognition of Grant and his talents the "fans" just sat there. We were too far back to console Kilby & Co., and I admit these were maybe 40% tourists or more, but Great Audiences and Orlando IMO don't belong in the same sentence. No offense intended. Not enough Lifetime residents, Native Floridians; not enough serious English Language music fans per capita is what we found in 5 years of having a place in Heathrow. Great for shopping, boating and golf! :^

Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
    phfobric likes this.
  5. JustEd

JustEd Tele-Meister

Heathrow/Lake Mary. Well, that explains it really stuffy there.

The shopping is still pretty decent in Sanford but it seems Golf is going the way of Tiger.

phfobric likes this.
  6. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Not much to do with Steve Miller, but we like walking to Dexter's for lunch, and the sandhill cranes were so cool. We usually ended up heading to the Atlantic Coast and seeing bands over that way. Really liked going up to Saint Augustine and messing around up there, and over by New Smyrna. Loved eating pizza at Tony's on New York Avenue in DeLand - that's actually more my income bracket.

I guess some parts of Heathrow/Lake Mary were kinda stuffy but when people are wearing basketball jerseys and bedroom slippers into Ruth's Chris Steak House, maybe more stuffy would actually be better. I like wearing a jacket to dinner if I'm going to spend that much money.

+

As for Steve Miller, gimme Buddy Guy or Les Dudek. Instead.

phfobric likes this.
  7. TeleRooo

TeleRooo TDPRI Member

I saw Steve a few times back in the Rock Festival days. After paying a few of the Hits, Space Cowboy and such, that most of the crowd screamed out to play. He got down to playing what he wanted to play. The Blues. He can play Blues guitar and he played the Harp pretty darn well too.

Blue Bill and phfobric like this.
  8. BopT

BopT Tele-Afflicted

Always liked Steves pre Joker music. Living in the USA, Going to Mexico(great tune) etc. can't say how good his show is never saw the man.

9. harold h

harold h Friend of Leo's

"They headed down to-ooooo old El Paso
    Thats where they ran into a great big hassle"

and

"Billy Mac, he's a detective down in Texas
    ya know he knows just exactly what the facts is"

Flash1909, Blue Bill and phfobric like this.
  10. Despres

Despres Tele-Holic

I've always liked to picture someone sitting down with a pen and writing: "lovey dovey, lovey dovey, lovey dovey, lovey dovey all the time. Oooeee baby, I'll sure show you a good time."

src9000 and Blue Bill like this.
  11. phfobric

phfobric Former Member

Shopping, boating, golf...don't slip on your Topsiders, mate! With all due respect, I AM a lifer, and there are PLENTY of us. No, not the Doctors and Lawyers who sit on their hands in the lower bowl at Magic games. Except for Michael having a house in Heathrow (actually North of Town, between O'do and Sanford), I don't get the connection between Telecasters and Heathrow, unless the Tele's are hanging in glass cases on the walls, never been played. Universal and Disney are Rocking Out Loud; Why? Because the groups WANTED to play in Orlando. Not because someone had a nice day "on the links" in Heathrow. I'm 61, been honestly (studying, playing, performing, recording) rocking since I was 11 (on the home piano; later switching to guitar), and I don't believe you got around enough in your five (5) years, here. Maybe the places were too scary to go into? See you out on the links!

12. jdm61

jdm61 Tele-Holic

You folks may be misremembering MANY of the lyrics from the 70's. Back then, it was about the music because even Robert Plant admitted in later years that he smoked too much weed and read too much Tolkien back in the day. :D

phfobric likes this.
  13. phfobric

phfobric Former Member

Okay! 70's lyrics. you got it!

"There's a law for the rich and one for the poor, and another one, for singers.
    It's 'Die young, and live much longer. Lie in bed and stare and wonder'".

What was Tolkien smoking? Rumor mill is, he was Remote Viewing life in Pangaea! Back to Mr. Miller, "the midnite smoker". How could Miller, much less Plant, smoke and sing so frikkin' high? Now there's a Mobus strip of a question! Steve Perry (Journey, kids) was quoted as saying he loved smoking pot, but it "didn't figure into his vocal instrument". Smart guy. All stratospherical vocal ranges. The reason we never did much Steve Miller was that no one could cover his vocal range. He was the Brian May of vocalists, as well; creating impossible harmonies for a regular band to do right. Many tried

teletimetx likes this.
  14. don71

don71 Tele-Afflicted

I was fortunate enough to see Steve at Star Light Theater in KC circa 1990. Its a great memory for my wife and our two friends. Before we called it a bucket list, we certainly checked that of the list.

His music is an important part of our life play list.

I try not to ask too much of lyric content. It all has to play well together. Nice to see the shout outs to Gerald and Les.

He-Steve payed his dues and we got the music from it to prove it.

phfobric likes this.
  15. phfobric

phfobric Former Member

I realize it is only a google or bing away, but which song was released first; "Space Cowboy" or "Lady Madonna"? There's one of those multi-tracked vocal lines of Steve's in there that is just nuts, more scat than blues. Hard to imagine the song without it in there. The bridge with bubble pipes, even. Jimi used slide whistles. No cowbell,tho'.......yet, "I gotta fever..."

16. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

As Bone Simple as his Hits were, they were Recorded Pushing some limits about how clean and Clam-Free they could be.
    Put Rock n me on the Turntabe through a Couple of Klipch Corner Cabs and the Room moved in perfect Harmony.
    Face it, his stuff was sounded pretty darn good when you turned it up.

-ST

phfobric and Blue Bill like this.
  17. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I really like the pre-big AM radio hits era SMB.
    The Boz Scaggs, Geroge Rains era stuff.
    It's cooler, IMO.

18. freshchops

freshchops Tele-Meister

Saw him live last year (I believe) touring with Journey. Always loved him growing up, first time seeing him. He was great. Man, can he play and his tone is just so tasty! I was not disappointed. Journey on the other hand - I'd have left within about 1-2 songs if I wasn't there as a guest w/ my family. Although I've gotta admit he's a badass, I never liked Neal Schon's playing. All that screeching, squealing and spluge noodling at insane decibels just starts sounding like piercing noise! :mad:

19. Georox

Georox Friend of Leo's

20. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Steven Miller is an amazingly talented guy.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.