Steve Miller . . .

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Frank'n'censed, Mar 23, 2016.

1. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

As a kid, I always loved the Joker, but I got too cool for rock school, during high school, turning my back on much of my mid-'7O's pop-rock. Times have changed & I have a lot of respect for Steve & his Texas, Boz Scaggs,The Steve Miller Blues Band roots. I was pleasantly surprised to see Steve Miller booked for our local exhibition, the PNE, this summer. A few years ago, he headlined Saturday night, at Portland's Waterfront Blues Fest. What a killer show, his voice, guitar & band, (same backing vocalist since the '70's), all really impressive, including his generosity sharing the stage with Curtis Salgado, (great vocalist/harp player, who once fronted Santana, having just gone through cancer) & Randy Hanson, (THE Hendrix impersonator)!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
    Tazz3 likes this.
  2. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

Always liked Steve Miller's stuff from the 70's. Yes, it's AOR but what's wrong with that. It was high quality AOR.

I've got a dvd of him playing a summer concert in Chicago and it's got all the big hits plus he does a killer version of Jimmie Vaughan's Boom Bapa Boom. The only thing that kinda bugs me is that he changes from one strat to another for almost every strat which just strikes me as unnecessary.

I heard some of his 90's blues roots stuff and thought it was pretty good - but not good enough for me to part with cash for the cds.

3. TwangToInfinity

TwangToInfinity Tele-Holic

i really like his songs, his playing, and his tones.

nice mostly cleanish tone with lots of room/air for the music and vocals

4. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Les Dudek played a lot of those early guitar tracks on Steve's albums. No wonder it was good!

5. frankg11

frankg11 Tele-Holic

If he his changing strats every song, I suspect that he is selling or donating them as authentic played by Steve Miller live on stage. I suspect that most of his songs are std E tuning.

6. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I remember as a kid seeing a whole concert of the Steve Miller band on Tv and noticing that he had a lot of lefthanded players in his band and that Gerald Johnson, his bass player even had the strings upside down.
    [​IMG]

But the fact that he was awesome made me quickly forget about how unusual that was.

Note how Johnson has the time of his life in both clips.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  7. HWTele

HWTele Tele-Holic

image.jpeg
    Loved the Say No More LP by Dudek

studio and pondcaster like this.
  8. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

I'm a huge SM fan. He's one of my favorites, what a great guitar player!

9. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

A guy I know was his bus driver and steel guitarist for a while in the last few years. He was treated well, so that's always good to hear.

I liked Steve's first two albums with Boz Scaggs and a couple of the others from that time period. I went to see him once around 1969 and he was playing in a power trio and he seemed like he was trying to be Eric Clapton, even playing "Crossroads as part of his set." I was disappointed as I went to see Steve Miller being Steve Miller.

Check out some of his early work on this Soundtrack album to a Hippie flick called "Revolution."

10. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Tele-Afflicted

I hate to crap on the SMB parade. I really do. I have been a fan of his music since the early 70s. I finally got to see him live last summer at an intimate venue. Buddy Guy opened. Maybe I caught SM on a bad night...but that old blues dog named Buddy Guy blew his a** off the stage. BG OWNED the stage and venue.
    He commandeered it as his own. SMB paled in comparison. Steve struggled early in the set to nail his signature parts. Fair enough...I am 53 and when I gig I don't really start moving until the second set...it takes my fingers longer to get limber as I age. But he came off as a middle-aged white dude phoning it in. All the while BG was just killing it. SM played some blues...and it was just awful....Muzak compared to the smoke BG laid down. Again, I am a lifelong SMB fan....maybe I caught him on a bad night and BG on a great night...but damn, it was honestly embarrassing.

howlin and phfobric like this.
  11. Wyzsard

Wyzsard Friend of Leo's

It happens. Back in the nineties I saw Lonnie Brooks open up for Buddy Guy and Brooks had the place rocking. Hey was running Wireless and walking up and down the aisles and even stopped and handed a guy his guitar. The guy just played a basic blues riff but it brought the house down.

Buddy Guy came on and was way too loud. No kidding... A lot of people got up and went to the concession area. In between songs you could hear more chatter than applause. He must of known why because he stopped in the middle of a song and said " you all want Lonnie back out here ?" Place went nuts LOL.

Me and my buddy went from getting ready to leave to enjoing a great show. Lonnie Brooks ruled that night.

That was the only time I saw Buddy Guy and frankly I don't care to see him again. But in all fairness anyone's due a bad night I reckon.

phfobric likes this.
  12. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

I musta been seeing things, then...cuz that runs contradictory to the last show's I caught of both artists. With no disrespect to B.G. & his contributions during his prime. Buddy Guy's been doing the same tired schtick for many decades, killing time, with his same, tired monologue, (literally preaching about his influences and those he influenced), teasing audiences with a medley of partially finished songs...I've seen him do this at least half a dozen times. Of all the times I've seen Buddy, he only impressed me once, well over 20 years ago, when John Mayall, with Coco Montoya, opened. It was one of the most intense & thrilling displays of blues guitar I've ever witnessed in person! Steve Miller & his band, were in top form, in Portland, the night I saw him.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  13. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

14. studio

While auditioning for the band Journey, the record company offered him the gig with Journey, or his own solo record deal.

He chose his own record deal.

phfobric likes this.
  15. Jim W

Jim W Friend of Leo's

I am and have been a Steve Miller Band fan since the beginning and have liked many of his albums. I really like Saving Grace and #5. I would like to see him do an album that is less poppy, and really focus on his guitar playing.

16. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

That's right. he's also playing on the Brothers & Sisters album.

Here's a photo of him from last year at Infinity Music Hall in Norfolk CT. he's a personal friend of mine and he's playing a custom guitar built by my buddy Mark at Stol Guitars.
    Les still rips that thing!
    [​IMG]

phfobric likes this.
  17. studio

Les is your friend? Wow!

I put him in the same category as the rest of my guitar heroes, Gatemouth Brown, Les Dudek, Peter Green, Steve Howe.......etc.

Telenator likes this.
  18. Dan R

Dan R Friend of Leo's

I like Steve Miller in general. He is sometimes a bit 'pop' for my tastes, but I still enjoy it. "Fly Like and Eagle" and "Book of Dreams" are a must for any fan. His early work on "Anthology" was played often in my youth.

Telenator likes this.
  19. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

Cool. TeleN....friends of Les.!!!

Always liked his stuff. ..even with Allman Brothers..I forgot about..

Anway, I thought Les would be a California dude being married once to Cher?.. maybe I steretyped him back then..

20. JustEd

JustEd Tele-Meister

Saw him awhile back at Universal Studios, he was great!

Wish he would come back.

phfobric likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.