1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Steve Goodman

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by elihu, Dec 27, 2015.

1. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Anyone else remember this little guy...Chicago, John Prine's buddy, leukemia? He packed a whole lot of music into 36 short years (short...that's a joke). And he helped make folk music interesting for me because he could really play.

2. robinn

robinn TDPRI Member

never heard of him, real nice song and great playing. also, i'm a dutchman ;)

thanks for posting

3. sbpirate

sbpirate Tele-Holic

4. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

Mama don't allow no tele playin' round here...always remember him for this tune

5. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

"The Dutchman" is a great song written by another talented Chicago songwriter, Michael P. Smith.

6. LeftyAl

LeftyAl Friend of Leo's

I had no idea he had died.He wrote some great songs.Arlo Gurthrie recorded some of his songs.

7. elihu

The Dutchman is a great song but the uptempo way Steve does it keeps it from becoming maudlin. That's why his version is my favorite-the lyric has enough pathos all by itself.

I didn't see your thread sbpirate. Guess I should have done a search. But I did want to post that particular performance.

Here's another great performance that kinda defines Steve for me. The guy breaks a string and never stops singing-just ad libs his way through until a roadie brings him another guitar. Steve's antenna was fully extended that day.

8. hymiepab

hymiepab Tele-Meister

I was turned on to Steve through John Prine....here's a funny story about him:

Goodman features in one of my favorite political anecdotes: during the 1972 presidential campaign, he was stumping for Muskie during the Democratic primaries. It was an old-fashioned whistlestop campiagn, with Muskie and entourage travelling aboard a private train. Muskie gave speeches off the back; Goodman warmed up the crowd with music and good humor. One day, however, Goodman's digestive system was in a bad way, so when Muskie got started with the stump speech, Goodman made a beeline for the toilet.

The train, like most trains of the time, dumped its refuse in transit, and so had a sign asking passengers to not flush while the train was in the station. But Goodman was uncomfortable leaving a full bowl, and he figured the mess would just drop onto the tracks under the train, so he flushed.

Unfortunately, the mess didn't just drop out. The train's waste system was cunningly contrived to spray waste materials behind the train in a fine mist.

As Goodman returned to his seat, the door opened. In tore Muskie's campaign manager, fresh from the sight of a befouled audience. The campaign manager howled, "People are being covered with sh#t out there!"

"Hey, man," said Goodman, thinking the guy was being figurative, "he's your candidate!

9. acoustic rob

acoustic rob Tele-Holic

He's most famous for writing "City of New Orleans", but this is probably my favorite song of his.

10. hekawi

hekawi Poster Extraordinaire

my favorite from Steve:

11. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I was lucky enough to have a seen him a few times. His early departure was very sad.

12. sbpirate

sbpirate Tele-Holic

thank you for this one Steve

13. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

My favorite by him:

14. historicus146

historicus146 Tele-Afflicted

Steve Goodman, John Prine, Bonnie Kolack, the Earl of Old Town, Somebody Else's Troubles...those were the Golden Years of Chicago "folk" music

Here is a demonstration of Steve's playing prowess

15. Choucas09

Choucas09 TDPRI Member

A small package with gigantic contents.

16. elihu

Since this thread started I've been watching and listening to many performances by Steve. And I've come to the conclusion that he was amazingly uninhibited by self awareness, as he didn't seem to be constantly evaluating himself in the presence of other people. He could be contemplative, goofy, serious and ebullient (often in the same song) whenever the mood struck him. I think it would take a person with a strong self identity to pull that off. And I wonder how much his leukemia diagnosis played into that, since he fought it for what, 15-16 years? Maybe he realized that time was too precious to care too much about what other people may think.

Here's some nice guitar playing by Steve backing up John Prine. Has anyone ever played a Maccaferri/Selmer guitar?

17. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Some of the old "died too soon" artists and songwriters are at least partially "hype". The excitement is too much because one is haunted by what might have been.

Steve is NOT in that hype category. He was everything you see in the old videos and hear on the old recordings. He was most beloved on a personal level, and many of us, his untimely death hurt far more than the deaths of most more infamous musical figures.

18. Kingpin

Kingpin Friend of Leo's

Steve played the midwest college circuit quite bit in the mid-seventies, and I had the pleasure to see him several times. He was a talented, charismatic performer who wrote great tunes and could pick the heck out of his acoustic guitar. Gone waaaayyy too soon.

19. djh22

djh22 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Had the pleasure to meet him a couple of times. A heck of a musician and a great guy!

20. BopT

BopT Tele-Afflicted

When we heard he was sick again we went went to every show we could and Steve played right until the end. Just one of the best performers, players and songwriters I have ever seen. It was real sorrow when he passed. They had a great tribute concert for Steve a little while after with John Prine and a ton of others. He was special.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.