Steve Earle - Jerry Jeff: did you notice…

BelairPlayer

Tele-Afflicted
Did you notice that Steve seems to grunt, grown, grumble, sound like he might be straining at stool, clear phlegm, or otherwise make some distracting noise after every line?

Is this a new thing for Steve? I certainly don’t recall Jerry Jeff Walker ever making those sounds, so I’m not sure it “enhances” a tribute album.

It sure is distracting.

backporchmusic

Poster Extraordinaire
So he was just supposed to do a version that sounded like Jerry Jeff, like a podunk cover band that charges an $8 cover?

I think Steve's earned the right to sing however he pleases.

teletimetx

Doctor of Teleocity
Did you notice that Steve seems to grunt, grown, grumble, sound like he might be straining at stool, clear phlegm, or otherwise make some distracting noise after every line?

Is this a new thing for Steve? I certainly don’t recall Jerry Jeff Walker ever making those sounds, so I’m not sure it “enhances” a tribute album.

It sure is distracting.
after every line? Sounds like that could be distracting.

Here's Earle doing a Guy Clark song that Jerry Jeff Walker first made famous.

I'm not hearing much of what you're describing - maybe one performance doesn't tell the whole story?

BelairPlayer

Tele-Afflicted
after every line? Sounds like that could be distracting.

Here's Earle doing a Guy Clark song that Jerry Jeff Walker first made famous.

I'm not hearing much of what you're describing - maybe one performance doesn't tell the whole story?

He’s definitely not doing it there.

BelairPlayer

Tele-Afflicted
I believe Steve mentioned in an interview that he has some breathing issues at this point that he has to deal with.
Well that would certainly be a different matter altogether. In light of that possibility I went back and listened again to the two available singles. I still think the affectation is a choice.

KeithDavies 100

Tele-Meister
I love Steve - have done for years. I think that's something that he's always done - or at least for a long time - though I'd agree he's doing it WAAAAY more on that recording than I've noticed before. It's previously been an occasional thing that I liked, personally - adding character to the delivery. But I get your point here - it is indeed almost every line!

rarebreed

Tele-Afflicted
Years ago at the Nashville summer NAMM show I was in the Fender booth looking at the cool new guitars and somebody walked up next to me, it was Steve Earle.

richiek65

Poster Extraordinaire
I love Steve - have done for years. I think that's something that he's always done - or at least for a long time - though I'd agree he's doing it WAAAAY more on that recording than I've noticed before. It's previously been an occasional thing that I liked, personally - adding character to the delivery. But I get your point here - it is indeed almost every line!
I wonder how a singer of a cover band would approach this song?