1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Steve Cropper Teles - again.

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Telemarkman, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Found this interesting picture of Steve and Eddie Floyd with a pair of identical (white) blond Teles. The Telecaster was obviously the guitar of choice with soul players in the 60's.

[​IMG]

In late 1963 Steve bought 2 Telecasters - one which was tuned in the standard tuning, and one that he tuned in open E "'cos that's the way Otis played it". You can bet that it's the same one that Eddie's playing in the pic. Steve brought both these Teles with him on the Stax/Volt European Tour in 1967, and one of them was stolen, according to Steve.

The first Tele type guitar that Steve owned, he got from Duck Dunn. It was a 1959 blond Esquire that was used for the recording of the first Booker T & the MG's album (including "Green Onions"). It's the same Esquire he used on "Minnie the Moocher" in the Blues Brothers movie.

[​IMG]

Just a bit of trivia for fans of The Colonel and his Teles.

2. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Still a great choice for a soul guitar. Nothing does those funky picked licks better for me and still I love cranking up the bridge for those "scratchy" rhythm riffs like Soul Man. Nice stuff. Thanks for sharing.

3. Loco

Loco Tele-Afflicted

Always good to see new (to me) photographs of 'The Colonel' in the very early Stax days - thanks for posting it! Just wish there were more pics in colour - especially featuring those (white) blonde Telecasters, which are possibly as legendary as the great man himself!?

4. jimdd

jimdd TDPRI Member

tres cool!

5. skillet

skillet Tele-Meister

Thanks for the pics and the info. :)

I like to read musician autobiographies and biographies, can anyone recommend a good book that covers the Stax-era history of Booker T and the MGs or just 'The Colonel' himself? As much musical history as this band (and man) has been involved in, there have to be some great stories there.

6. goz211

goz211 Tele-Meister

Thanks for posting Telemarkman (and great screen name - just saw your location).

7. Hiflyer

Hiflyer Tele-Afflicted

He was so classy looking in the Stax days, as is a rosewood board Telecaster.
    Thanks for the pic.

8. Telemarkman

This one's a good place to start:

[​IMG]

9. Telemarkman

Hahah! How could I ever become anything else than a Telecaster lover? ;)

Thank you guys for the nice comments! :cool:

10. brown meadows

brown meadows Tele-Meister

Cropper is definitely one of the finest players ever. He IS the reason I switched to the Telecaster and never looked back.

11. Abu Twangy

Abu Twangy Friend of Leo's

Steve Cropper is the reason I first got into Teles back in the day.

12. GigsbyBoyUK

GigsbyBoyUK Friend of Leo's

Of course nowadays he plays Peaveys and is quite critical of Telecasters.

13. Woody Relic

Woody Relic TDPRI Member

Otis Redding apparently only played guitar in open E tuning. You'll note that Otis' "Sitting on the Dock of the Bay" (written by Otis and Cropper) has only major chords--there are no minor or dominant 7th chords in it. If you tune your guitar to open E, you can play "Dock of the Bay" with one finger. This is probably true of other Otis Redding compositions as well.

I want Eddie Floyd's suit! I always wanted a nice shiny suit that I could buff to a high gloss...

14. Sollophonic

Sollophonic Friend of Leo's

Couldn't agree more>

For the soul band I play in, I use my Teles certainly for the funk/soul stuff.

And thanks for those great pics, nothing looks as businesslike as sharp suits, and white Teles.

Steve Cropper was the master of economy and melody in my book. Still is even.

15. kermit

kermit TDPRI Member

16. GigsbyBoyUK

GigsbyBoyUK Friend of Leo's

And it will be interesting for me knowing why he's now playing Peaveys, instead of Telecaster

I quote from Jan 2012 issues of Guitar & Bass magazine:

"[The Peavey Steve Cropper signature guitar] allows me to get the sounds I like with ease, and my fingers and wrist don't hurt when I get through playing it. Some guitars are like handling barbed wire. Even if they're vintage guitars you have to work more, and I'm not as young as I used to be, so I tend to lean towards the custom stuff for ease of playing. It's kinda like Ferrari versus a Chevrolet. Some of these kids say 'How come you don't play a Fender?' I say, it's very simple - your pa gives you two sets of keys for your birthday and out on the driveway there's a Ferrari and a Chevrolet; which one are you going to drive off with? That's the one I'm playing!"

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  17. Telemarkman

He may of course be honest about it, but OTOH he's "obliged" to say so because of his contract with Peavey. Fender should have offered him a deal long time ago, but they didn't ... They can only thank themselves.

At least he found the Telecaster good enough to use it for three decades ...

18. hockey guy

hockey guy Tele-Meister

When I think of Tele players I always think of Steve Cropper first ! His music w/ Booker T & the MG's have been a inspiration to me. What a sound his Tele makes !!

19. juans82

juans82 TDPRI Member

Great info!

20. younkint

younkint Tele-Afflicted

My two Peaveys sit, mostly unused, due to the terrible hand cramping I get these days from their thin necks. I have to have a big Telecaster neck for no pain. Funny thing is, Cropper is why I went to a Telecaster to begin with.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.