1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Steve Bruton - Waitin' For a Long Time

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by cactusrob, Feb 28, 2010.

1. cactusrob

cactusrob Friend of Leo's

2. hal

hal Tele-Afflicted

He did great work on the Crazy Heart soundtrack. RIP.

3. cactusrob

Yeah, it's sad that he passed. Such a great talent. I haven't seen Crazy Heart yet but I hear it's pretty good.

4. cactusrob

Not trying to over-post on a topic, so I hope no one gets upset about it. I just got on a Stephen Bruton kick tonight and found this and thought I'd share it. Truly awesome...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZDXFfXWsa0

5. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Hey, if they're all as good as the ones you've posted so far, keep 'em coming!

And, please tell me a little more about him if you could.

I think he's an Austin guy, but I don't know if he's from there. He plays on at least one of the Alejandro Escovedo records I have, but that's about the limit of my knowledge about him.

Cheers,
    Geoff

6. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Bruton ? Time to go learn....

Surfing youtube for VIDs, check out the Tele Strat Hybrid going on.. Great shot @ 2:21

Attached Files:

7. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I'll add this one I just watched.

Reminds me quite a bit of Rockpile.

cheers,
    geoff

8. cactusrob

He's played with just about everybody at one time or another as well as played parts in TV and several movies. Most notably, I guess, he played guitar with Kris Kristofferson for about 40 years (yes, 40). From what I've read, he was an Austin mainstay but cut his teeth in Ft. Worth.
    An awesome guitarist, producer and a great songwriter to boot with several albums to his credit. He did a lot of the guitar work with T-Bone Burnette on Jeff Bridges' new movie Crazy Heart. And yeah, I saw a clip by Escovedo where he said Bruton was responsible for him recording his first album.
    He died of throat cancer in May of last year. I think it was his second bout with it. So sad an ending for such a great talent.

9. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Stephen's dad was a jazz drummer in the 40's, opened a little record store in Fort Worth called Record Town. Stephen's older brother is a blues player of local renown. Sumpter (named after Ft. Sumpter) started off with a blues singer named Robert Ealey-they were called the Five Careless Lovers and did a lot of frat parties around TCU in the late 60's, early 70's. Sumpter told me it was a whole lot like "Animal House." Anyway Sumpter can do T-Bone Walker as well as anyone I've ever heard. I've only met Stephen once-at his first record release party at the old Caravan of Dreams in Ft. Worth-and he wasn't too friendly. No denying his talent though.

10. Kerry Vance

Kerry Vance Tele-Meister

11. cactusrob

Wow, Kerry, that was a great video. Thanks for sharing it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.