1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Stetsbar or Bigsby for my 72 Tele Deluxe Reissue?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by musojosh, Jul 19, 2018.

1. musojosh

musojosh TDPRI Member

So its wammy time for my 72 deluxe. I realise a bigsby is the coolest looking option, but im after responses regarding the general practicalities of having a vibrato system - specifically on my tele which has a hardtail bridge. I'd love to limit messing with the guitar too much however i am limited for options due to the less-common tele hardtail bridge.

My options are:
    - B5 bigsby with or without a vibramate.
    (I realise not using a vibramate equals some hole drilling - but is it more stable without one?)

- 3 Hole Stetsbar

Im leaning towards the stetsbar as it looks like a more reliable/solid option, however I have never played one. I'm assuming the stetsbar would add less weight to the guitar?

I'd love to hear from anyone with stetsbar experience. :)

2. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I do t know anything about the Stetsbar.

But I don’t think there’s an easy/drop in bridge replacement for a Bigsby on a Deluxe. Do you have an idea what to do for the bridge?

3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

The “feel” of the Stetsbar is different from the Bigsby.
    It’s look may be an acquired taste, too.
    I have installed two for friends.
    The friends did not keep the Stetsbar.
    I know most of us “like what we know”, instead of the inverse.
    I love my Bigsby, it works perfectly, and stays in tune well.
    The Stetsbar is well made, and brilliantly designed, but, you could not give me one.

asnarski likes this.
  4. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

As someone who troubleshot (is that a word?) on a Setzer Hotrod Gretsch, I'd have the proper B5 bridge kit. If done properly it will add value to the guitar. They were factory installs on 50s Classics a few years back. The roller bridge makes them very stable, and they actually increase twang and sustain if anything.

Yes, you can notch the ashtray and use solid saddles, but lateral stability and tuning will be a complete crapshoot. It looks like and is a bodge.

5. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

As the owner of two guitars with Bigsbys, I say Stets. They’re almost like the Steinberger in the way they function; stay in tune me check better.

6. ScribbleSomething

ScribbleSomething Tele-Holic

I just finished installing a stetsbar on my SG. It would have been fairly easy if I hadn’t taken the whole unit apart first. And if I would have been more thorough about reading all the instructions.

I got mine used and it came with the vintage style bar they sell. While I like the look of the vintage bar, it’s a little high and in the way for me.

5BAE4DF4-4916-467A-B6D7-EBCB8618835C.jpeg A9DB97FB-60A0-4F39-BCB0-44A00DB5CC1C.jpeg
    The original bar has kind of a strat bar placement for my hand. Not the loose wobbly strat thing. Just the angles and height felt better in my hand.
    F5BE908B-A154-4B26-AB1A-D40EE630D2F3.jpeg C987A3EA-E96D-406E-8056-E64BB67887A6.jpeg

I can tell already I like it better than the les trem 2 I had. That was okay but the spring clicks drove me crazy. And this one has a lot more range if I want it.

I have it set up to float. It’s not dialed in yet, but it’s doing about a minor 3rd on the G string. Tuning and bending kind of like a strat. The tension on one string affects the others. Though I think it might not be quite as bad as my strat for bending.

The coolest thing is that it plays well with the Gforce tuners (yes I have a 2015). So now I have a floating bridge and can switch to drop D or open E or whatever.

Though, that’s kudos for Tronical more than Stets. Tuning changes worked with the Duesenberg also.

The strings feel a little more slinky now. I think I had more break angle at the bridge when it was hard tail.

7. navigate40

navigate40 Tele-Meister

Hello

I just did this to my FSR HH Tele. The thread is below:

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/tele-bigsby-build-worked-out-great.851616/

My tele also has that strat/tele hard tail bridge. It's three mounting holes do not match any other tele bridge...so very difficult to find a replacement. Or use a Vibramate. BUT....every thing worked out great, and I am very happy with the Bigsby B5 on my guitar.

I do recommend a Vibramate. It is just easier to fit and line up. I used the V5-TEAS-ST. I found one with 5 holes (RARE), thinking that the three inner ones would line up. They did not (this model is apparently for the cabronita...which is slightly different...apparently.)

But...no big deal. Used the center hole, and then drilled the two outside ones...so now....I have the holes for an American series bridge. Vix bits for drilling. Start out in reverse to get through the finish with chipping (internet lore).

I read all about that fact that you have shim the neck, or that the string angle would be too shallow. But, those issues did not pop up for me. It was perfectly fine.

The grooved saddles that the vibramate came with do help keep the strings in place.

Callaham makes a couple items that help the bigsby work better. I put their string shaft on...makes stringing much easier...but...once you get used to holding the string onto the peg on the bigsby and tensioning one at a time....not a big deal.

As always...YMMV

bigs3.jpg

8. musojosh

musojosh TDPRI Member

Thanks for the info. What was the deal breaker for all three of you?
    Would you say it is closer to feeling like a floyd rose? Or a strat trem? Or is it doing its own unique thing?

9. musojosh

musojosh TDPRI Member

Thanks for all the info/pics!

10. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Am I missing something? Thought all Teles were hard tails? And why fit a term to one that isn’t? Not being sarcastic, just don’t understand.

11. musojosh

musojosh TDPRI Member

I'll ask the question another way...
    Would you opt for a Stetsbar or B5 bigsby (with or without a vibramate) to replace this (see photo) type of bridge piece. If you choose bigsby, explain how you would deal with replacing the bridge.

Does that make sense?

72 Deluxe Tele bridge.JPG

12. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

This is why so many of us own so many guitars.

I wouldn't want that on a Thinline, but of course, you're allowed to want it.

I dedicated another guitar for Bigsby, and yet another for a B-bender.

13. caliban335

caliban335 Tele-Afflicted

My vote goes to the B5.

14. horseman308

horseman308 Tele-Holic

There's really not a lot of options for putting a B5 on a 72 Deluxe, because most of the Bigsby kits are made for the ashtray bridge. I think Vibramate sells a cut down, notched bridge that works with their kit, and Mastery makes one for the regular drilling option.However, they all use the 3 barrel saddles, because the design of the typical Fender 6 saddle bridge won't work (that's why they usually went with the Jazzmaster type bridge in the single coil kits).

I basically did all that when I built mine. Is it a "dodge"? Yeah, pretty much, in that you just have to tinker till it works. But it DOES work. I love it and am really contemplating putting one on my other Tele.

15. caliban335

Looks like a TOM style bridge in this photo:

[​IMG]

16. caliban335

Looks like a chopped Tele bridge in this photo:

[​IMG]

17. AngelDeville

AngelDeville Tele-Afflicted

stetsbars look horrible.....

18. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Holic

I think Rutters also make a three hole bridge that's chopped for use with a bigsby and 3 barrel saddles. I've seen a lot of people use them for the Cabronita.

19. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

The Telecaster deluxe was available as a hardtail or with the Strat's trem.

20. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.