1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Stereos (Hi-Fi) obsolete?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Boil, Feb 27, 2020.

1. SAguitar

SAguitar Tele-Meister

Great thread. I can't stand mp3s, but that is what my band flips around for us to learn songs from and so I play along to way too many of those. I connect my iPhone to my old Fisher stereo and play through it and some old Bose speakers. It's not much but it works. I still have an old 33 turntable up in the attic somewhere but haven't used it in a long time. I am fairly satisfied with CDs when I just play them, but they aren't like LPs.
    A few years ago I got rid of my old Sony reel to reel tape recorder and all the tapes I had for it.

Greggorios likes this.
  2. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I once went down the rabbit hole of binaural vs. stereo recording. It's very interesting. The idea is that with stereo, the engineers create an illusion
    of 3D space by panning things in various ways to create a stereo image. In a binaural recording, you place two microphones exactly the same distance apart
    as two human ears, ideally mounted on a manikin head to help ensure the microphone capsules receive the same audio signal a human's ears would, slightly
    altered by the physical presence of noggin. You record the live performance of whatever. When you play it back through headphones, then it seems like
    you are standing in the spot that the recording was made-- your ears are ideally getting the same image as the moment it was recorded.

Anyway, I bought a nice little set of binaural microphones and would record in those days to Minidiscs. The playback was truly unreal. Amazing imaging--
    as if I was there all over again. It's kind of interesting to me that but for the luck of history we might be all listening to binaural recordings these days instead
    of stereo recordings. For those of you who are audiophiles you should try it sometime. It is a very different experience, rather mind-blowing.

https://binauralenthusiast.com/what-is-binaural-recording/

3. ArcticWhite

ArcticWhite Tele-Afflicted

Every evening.
    1977 Pioneer SX-950
    1980 NLAdvents
    Modernish CD player.
    Sold my records and turntable.

20200227_154651.jpg

20200227_153534.jpg

4. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

Those little white Advents were my first decent set of speakers! Couldn’t afford the wood grain models. That was 45 years ago.

Greggorios likes this.
  5. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Afflicted

Good guess, but they are Design Acoustics PS-10a. They feature a unique downward-firing woofer.

(Web photo)

[​IMG]

Got them for $8 and refoamed the woofers myself. Very balanced and pleasant sounding

6. guitarsophist

guitarsophist Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I still own a pair of EPI 100s. I got new woofers, crossover, and tweeters from a guy who had access to the original parts and tooling. I have an Onkyo receiver, and I had a turntable. When I put the new parts in the speakers, I put on an album of Erik Satie, played by Aldo Ciccolini. It was like there was a piano in the room. I had forgotten how a real stereo system sounded. It was lovely. Visceral. Present. But now I live in a condo, and there is no room. I listen to music on a computer through a cheap Bose system with a subwoofer. It is not bad. But it is not sublime.

7. tubevibrato

tubevibrato Tele-Meister

...never obsolete. I bought these two items over the last 3 years
    20180402_121441.jpg 20190522_210234.jpg

8. Daddy Dom

Daddy Dom TDPRI Member

Obsolete? Hell no, my system is a musical instrument in its own right!

9. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

1978 Sansui G8000 monster stereo receiver here, with a 70's pioneer turntable. 4x12" speakers in old school wood towers.
    Plastic digital stuff doesn't even come close. When I play a record it sounds and feels like the bands playing live in my living room. I had to remove a shelf and cut the back out of a new entertainment cabinet to fit it in there. Weights about 24kg or 53 lbs.

I've had a couple girlfriends rave about their new bose micro systems etc and scoff at my old system until I turn it on. :)

20200228_142642.jpg

Size reference, that's a real full sized tele headstock of one of my tele's.

20200228_145121.jpg

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
  10. Viejo

Viejo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I still have one and use it a lot but then I am almost obsolete myself. My smart-ass SIL always says "You know that will all fit on an MP3 player don't you? " And I always tell him "Yeah but it would sound like ****" His generation have zero regard for sound quality.

11. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

DSCN1003.JPG DSCN1004.JPG My system is modest now because I'm in a tiny studio apt., and so I need speakers that sound good at low volume. Because of that, I've had Paradigm, PSB, Celestion, KEF, Monitor Audio, B&W, Polk, and a few others since moving in here. The B&W 601S3 and 602S3 were some of the best, but they like to play loud. I should have kept the MA Bronzes, 'cause I really miss them. But, my Wharefdale Diamond 9.1s, Cerwin Vega SL5Ms, and old school KEF C40s are pretty fine too. If I had enough money and a big room, I'd have Klipschorns or La Scalas, my two favorite speakers ever. I used to have Cerwin Vega 312s (JBL L100 killers) and D7s, which is one of the reasons that I have tinnitus, lol. Arcam Alpha 7 CD player, Kenwood KA89, Jolida JD102B, and Integra amps with Audioquest wires.

12. 61fury

61fury Friend of Leo's

I think a better word for that might be obsolescent.

13. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I had all kinds of component stereo gear in the 1970s thru the '90s, but nowadays find my PA gear serves the same purpose—small Yamaha mixer as preamp, my custom stereo power amp, and Peavey 15" stage speakers... slight overkill for the room but that's where the speakers live anyway. So, basically I use the same sound setup in one room for home listening, "studio recording" and band rehearsals.

Sources going through the mixer include my (offline) music laptop, a cassette player and a phonograph. No tuner, since these days I rarely use radio for music. (I listen to news type stuff on radios situated around the apartment.)

I still have a Kenwood receiver and Bose speakers put away for now, but plan to use them for my home "office" desktop PC sound. Been using crummy little outboard computer speakers for too long, and I do listen to a lot of music on my PC, which is in another room.

14. Chunkocaster

The 70's were the golden years of home hifi. Back when they spent a fortune on product development and trying to obtain the highest possible quality. That product development and attention to detail is the only thing that became obsolete.
    Now they just budget high for advertising, hype and maybe getting someone famous to sell their cheap plastic boxes of average quality components. Development revolves around how can we make it smaller and cheaper to manufacture yet still sell for a higher price than the previous model.

EsquireBoy and Greggorios like this.
  15. richbike

richbike Tele-Meister

Still use a Denon 250ii I won at college in 91 with some warfedsle diamond2.1 for computer based noodling.
    Onkyo and missions for TV and music.
    But I agree...very rare to pull out vinyl or what CDs and tapes I have left.
    More likely Spotify thru the Echo

Si G X likes this.
  16. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

Indeed.

cs.jpg

You probably picked a good time to snag these. In this area, these console units used to be commonly available for $25 or so, depending on condition. Now they're a lot harder to find and gotten more pricey, well into the $150+ range usually. Hipster types like to buy them to gut them and convert them into something else while technically inclined audiophiles like to get them to restore.

tubevibrato likes this.
  17. EllroyJames

EllroyJames Poster Extraordinaire

Blasting Led Zeppelin IV the other day.. Cant beat the old stereo!

Ditchgator, Jlwctn and Chunkocaster like this.
  18. LightningPhil

LightningPhil Tele-Meister

If anyone wants to nerd out, try using Room EQ Wizard to measure the response of your system. It’s free:
    https://www.roomeqwizard.com/

A fun but deep rabbit hole may then ensue. Which may involve, dampening cabinet resonances, tweaking crossovers, altering placement, EQ adjustments, DSP corrections and then spending money on upgrades.

All the above are relatively inexpensive, except the upgrades. Even the DSP corrections can be done free if running audio from a PC. Equaliser APO is awesome, once you’ve learnt how to use it:
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/equalizerapo/

And, while not free, but also not very expensive, miniDSP’s headphone measurement jig works with the above software. The difference in clarity after DSP correction is great:
    https://www.minidsp.com/products/acoustic-measurement/ears-headphone-jig

Oh, and my setup in the main room has KEF speakers (because an aunt used to work for KEF), which have been damped and a Marantz does everything unit. A sealed sub fed by a DSP, mostly to make it a bit deeper, but also to lessen room resonances.

Greggorios likes this.
  19. 61fury

61fury Friend of Leo's

I mean I grew up in that time, my Dad was big into it. I grew up around Marantz's , Onkyos and Klipsch speakers, of course had my own lesser stereo rigs over the years. It was a golden age of quality sound, especially compared to what preceded it.

But to me an important aspect of music has always been portability, and I use it . Spotify and the Youtube app through any decent car stereo gets the job done for me now. That Marantz is still in my attic, the Onkyo is sitting right next to me. The Klipsch speakers are up at my mom's, they might be mine someday, not anytime soon I hope.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  20. Chunkocaster

I get the portability factor being important for cars and when you are out and about but never did get why micro or smaller systems were needed for home. I've lived in the same house for nearly 30 years now and hopefully live here for 30 plus more. When it gets too hard to move my stereo to clean behind it i'll just put wheels on whatever its housed in and continue to enjoy the great sound that comes out of it. It cost me less than a new iPhone and will no doubt last a lot longer.:)

Greggorios likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.