1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Stereos (Hi-Fi) obsolete?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Boil, Feb 27, 2020.

1. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yes, a pink tutu!...No, my poor wording, no special seating is needed. Any chair or stool or if you like standing is fine too, paricularly if you like to swing or dance while listening. What I meant is for a good stereo image the listener should be positioned with the 2 speakers in an approximate triangle.

ArcticWhite likes this.
  2. oopsimeltednitro

oopsimeltednitro TDPRI Member

Haha, I had dreams of system made of tube pres and power, outboard DAC, ultra rare unicorn CD transport, turntable with fancy cartridge, 9 bizllion dollar cables, fancy speakers with one Velodyn sub for each. Oh, and a listening room in my mansion. As a teen or so and didn't know exactly what i was thinking of then, it just sounded impressive from what I read in good ole' Stereophile magazine. Flash forward now to my late 30s, and do all my music listening in the car and only buy gear related to guitars. Oh well, lol.

3. Mind Flayer

Mind Flayer Tele-Meister

I have a stereo system. Tuner/amp, turntable, cassette deck, and CD player. It’s not top of the line or anything, but I like to have physical copies of music whether it’s vinyl, cassette, or CD. I also listen to music on my phone, but there have been enough times where I have done a software update or switched phones and lost some music that I collect physical copies of the stuff that I really like.

Ditchgator and Greggorios like this.
  4. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Tele-Afflicted

I still have a decent system. I used to work for a company that made serious hifi kit, so I managed to acquire some pretty decent stuff back in the day.

Over the years I've had equipment at home from Bryston, Linn, Roksan, Naim, Yamaha, Royd, McLaren, Monitor Audio, KEF, a handbuilt valve pre-amp, hand-built MOSFET power amp... the list goes on.

It's all long gone now, I don't really miss it.

I'm all digital, Raspberry Pi, separate DAC, class D power, wireless and lossless files for me these days. My amp (100w per channel) is the size of a big paperback book. I still use a pair of old (30 years?) Musical Technology floorstanding speakers, although I've replaced all the drive units & crossovers over the years (and I sprayed them white...)

I used to be all old-school vinyl, serious turntables and all that, but no-one will ever convince me that vinyl sources sound better than good digital sources anymore. I spent many years comparing them in both listening and measuring tests, and initially vinyl was far superior, but the balance changed around the late 90's. A serious analog front-end into a great system still sounds wonderful, but a serious digital front-end running lossless files into the same system will sound better. The technology has come a long way.

There is no excuse for horrible low bitrate MP3 files. They have no place in music reproduction anymore. And not all digital equipment is equal in quality either, by a long stretch...

Of course, most of the time these days I listen to music on my phone, through a pair of AKG earbuds.....:rolleyes:

5. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Afflicted

Yes... Time to time... :oops:;)

[​IMG]

-tbln

JeffBlue, Sax-son, lowatter and 10 others like this.
  6. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

Yep I still use my late 90s technics system. The TV goes through it as does my phone for spotify. I use the turntable a fair bit, I haven't used CD players in years though.

7. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Afflicted

Somewhere 5-10 years ago I cheaply reinvested in analog audio after chancing upon some Onkyo gear on Amazon. A 50 watt endless volume control receiver (stays clean forever) and some tower speakers. Most expensive component was a CD deck with Wolfson D/A converters. I buy almost all my music on CDs and they sound great on this system when I turn it up.

Si G X likes this.
  8. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Afflicted

Nope.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

JeffBlue, Sax-son, EsquireBoy and 9 others like this.
  9. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

This is a fun thread! I've only got one other friend that's got gear like I do, but we get together once a month and relive a thread like this in our own environments. He just got Magnapan 1.6's that I get to hear next week.

trouserpress, SuprHtr and Greggorios like this.
  10. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Car stereo is where the majority of listening occurs.
    I rarely sit and play CDs or iTunes through my TV surround system.

11. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Don’t miss THAT clutter anymore.

blowtorch and aging_rocker like this.
  12. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

Is that a pair of Spectrum 108As?

13. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Holic

Unfortunately, my days of having my good stereo system available and playing music are just a memory. My good speakers and turntable have been in boxes in attic since my (now) young adult kids were babies.

Digital and portable music has changed accessibility of music. The car, the laptop, earbuds and headphones are where I hear most music these days.

14. Bulldoggio

Bulldoggio Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Last year I bought a 1964 tube Fisher 400 and got my JBLs reconed. I was watching too much TV. Now I cuddle my bulldog and blast Count Basie and the Meters!

15. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

in storage right now I have a pair of Laser digiital 3 way towers, Bose 301's, warfdale towers, a spare alpha nikko 230 power head with matching alpha nikko preamp and Yamaha 5.1 power head , these are going to be used in the mastering suite once the studio is built and tied directly to the outs from the console for a total of about 750 watts (enough for a small room

16. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I inherited one of these from my in laws. Just had the turntable fixed and the whole thing re-capped.

Have the original speakers too.

(This is an internet pic, not my actual unit)

qHboDER.jpg

17. Ian T

Ian T Tele-Afflicted

My kind of guy!

JeffBlue likes this.
  18. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

You're in for a treat. Love 'em. Check out the newer Maggie .7's if you're not already familiar with them. Great reviews, less $, smaller and you don't need a zillion watts to run them.:)

19. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

You mock, but there are some aspects of a listening chair that do matter. Basically, you don't want anything behind your head.

20. Ian T

Ian T Tele-Afflicted

I grew up on vinyl, and a hi-fi was the centerpiece of our living room. May well be why I'm a musician. Yet in our home, we don't listen to music hardly ever.

I just bought a Technics SL1200 mkII turntable off Craigs as a family Christmas gift. Getting back into vinyl. Loving it!

I've got a buddy who is a hi-fi geek and on his recommendation, my 11 yo and I assembled these DIY speakers. https://www.parts-express.com/tritrix-mtm-tl-tower-speaker-components-and-cabinet-kit-pair--300-702. LOVE THEM!!!! What a difference.

Found a reburbished Cambridge Audio CXA head unit from their Ebay page at a great price, $399.

Added a Schitt phono pre, and hooked up an old unused laptop for Spotify and Youtube streaming through the Cambridge head unit's DAC.

Lastly, added a home theatre sub off a buddy (to the chagrin of my hi-fi pal; hi-fi guys turn their noses at home theatre stuff).

Sounds so great! We listen to music all the time now and my 11 year old has been inspired. Success!!

Not sure what took me so long. The only thing you have to be VERY careful of when it comes to hi-fi is it's even worse than guitar when it comes to GAS. Kind of like getting into photography. Neverending GAS and it gets pricey, quick! I'm done with my budget hi-fi system! <<<<<<<famous last words.

If you are considering a hi-fi system, go for it!!!

Ditchgator, Jlwctn and Greggorios like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.