1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Stereo: worth the hassle?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by DeepDangler, Apr 1, 2021.

1. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Afflicted

Stereo is nice for swirly chorus and ping-pong delay, but I like wet/dry better. I use a Gibsonette, a low watt tweedy circuit for the dry, and send the wet signal to a 45w Pro Reverb. It brings out the best of both amps, which complement each other well.

muscmp likes this.
  2. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Meister

I don't believe you're understanding what the wet output does. The amp has a speaker out and a wet speaker out. Wet speaker only plays the effects loop signal and the amp speaker plays dry. I can connect to the wet out of my chorus in the loop with a dummy plug for the dry out and it plays through the extension cab while the main speaker in the combo plays dry to achieve stereo chorus I'm defining stereo as having a wet/dry setup. It's not "true stereo" since the effect can't pan but most chorus pedals just send dry and wet signals and do not pan. I doubt anybody uses a stereo guitar these days.

3. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Holic

I ran stereo to two SS 1x12 SS amps with modeling in front. Same amp, different speakers. One speaker ran closed back, one open. One was deep and low, the other brighter. Eq'd for the same.

One upside was that if one amp died, I had another that could be tweaked to do the job for the night.

Did the sound matter? To me, but I'm guessing no one else heard a difference.

DeepDangler likes this.
  4. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Holic

For a great example of someone doing it right,check out Brian May's "how to sound like me" video on YouTube. He does some great stuff with multi amps and delay.

4pickupguy and DeepDangler like this.
  5. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Afflicted

No

DeepDangler likes this.
  6. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

Things that I would consider if deciding this would be:
    1. What kind music?
    2. What kind of clubs/PA stereo?
    3. How many instruments in the band?
    4. Do you run Keys or vocals drums stereo?

The main question being would the music benefit from it? If you are talking about a 9 pc funk band with horns my answer would be no. If you are in a 3 pc Police or Rush tribute band then yes, and even then you have to contend with #2.
    My live rigs have always been stereo and now w/d\w. That said, I have never been in large bands and we have always had a sound guy. We play a weird mix ranging from bluesy fusion to rock. To answer your question though, I love it but I have made my rig as tiny as possible (which probably still too much). Most people will tell you it’s not worth it, and unless you willing to go the extra steps to make it worth it, they are right. A Roland Jazz Chorus plinking away on one side of a stage unmic’d (or worse, mic’d through a mono PA) is a different thing from a Roland Jazz Chorus mic’d stereo in a stereo band. I always liked how great vocals and drums sounded with stereo verb on them more than a stereo guitar. Keyboards always sound better than guitars stereo too. You really notice it when a band suddenly gets quiet in a song. Side sticks on the snare sound huge and your notes in the delay are filling the air. That’s when it’s worth it!

Nahtabot and DeepDangler like this.
  7. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

IMO it's a personal choice because it gets lost on anyone standing outside of the "relatively small" perfect listening position. Even concerts/festivals/clubs setup for Stereo only benefits the people in the coveted seating position. Everyone else just hears a differently balanced mix... any "stereo" they are hearing at that point is not intentional, it's just naturally happening in that position of the room.

If a stereo setup inspires you, go for it. Just don't expect everyone to hear it in all it's glory the way you do ;)

Please consider my comments within the context of "rehearsals and live gigs". The Studio is an entirely different game.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
    DeepDangler likes this.
  8. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Afflicted

i agree that using two amps LESSENS the impact sometimes. i use a 66 deluxe reverb with a vox ac15c1 and it is an amazing sound. however, i also use a 75 vibro champ and 76 champ together, set one up with high bass and low treble while the other is the opposite and it works real well. so there are many different combos that will work quite well. i don't gig anymore so this is all at home stuff.

play music!

DeepDangler likes this.
  9. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Meister

Thanks for all the info guys! I’ll probably refrain from a stereo setup at this point in time. If a jazz chorus falls into my lap, that will be the extent of it.

10. doghouseman

doghouseman Tele-Meister

Has anyone tried running in stereo through the PA? I know most PAs are run in mono, but I have been kicking around the idea of trying to run in stereo - through the PA.

I am guessing certain big bands (Pink Floyd, U2) must run in stereo through the PA at live shows to get their big sound and to get the delays sounding good.

11. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Afflicted

Most stages in clubs don't have the space needed to have more than one amp & using a stereo P.A. in a club just doesn't make sense.

12. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

I ran a keyboard stereo, versus dragging a Leslie. It was great on stage, I don't think it translated as well to the house. But neither does a Leslie.

This thread has me rethinking stereo for a different reason. I setup a stereo rig at the house this week, enjoying some great stuff. First, I didn't realize my multi-effects was stereo - bonus! And second, I didn't realize a lot of patches have stereo signals, not just the time based effects. But the real reason I'm considering a stereo rig for a next performance, is dispersion. I was gonna run a second cab on the other side of the stage, but now thinking of trying stereo. Testing out gear and techniques sweetens the gig experience imo.

13. telel6s

telel6s Tele-Afflicted

I think there are a lot of "it depends". What kind of music? Where are you playing? In a band, what are the other instruments and how many vocals? What effects are you using?

Ages ago (late 90s/early 00s), the other guitar player in my band had a stereo rack system. Could you tell it was stereo? No; at least I couldn't. Did it sound good? Yes. For him bringing a second 10" speaker cab was a no-brainer because that was his sound. End of questions.

True stereo is probably hard to implement correctly in most typical band environments. If you aren't putting your guitar through the PA you'll need to separate your amps to each side of the stage. Some spots just won't have enough space. Others may be big enough but would anyone tell the difference from 15 feet away when combined with bass, drums, vocals, what-have-you? Probably not. If you are micing up or going direct, most PA systems these days can be run in stereo. But if it's a house PA, then you need to be sure that whoever is running the sound knows to do that and you'd probably want to sound check the mix. In one place panning 80%/20% to each side will work while someplace else you might want only 65%/35% so there's not dead space at stage center. Again, will anybody in the audience notice it? Maybe. In this case they probably won't go, "Oooooh, the guitarist is running in stereo. How cool is that?!". But it might provide a better overall sound than if you were running mono. You would have to be the judge of that.

Wet/Dry is a different thing. This is what the OP's amp seems to be set up to do. Being able to do clean delay from one amp/channel while having fuzzed out reverb or a wah in another could be cool. You could still pan/separate the amps to each side to enhance the effect but I don't think it would get lost so much if you had to place each amp beside each other. I'm getting more and more intrigued by this idea. I haven't set it up yet to try it out, but EHX is sending me a Tri Parallel Mixer pedal this week (OK, I had to pay them for it) with which I can do the parallel effects thing into mono or use it to send signals to separate amps/channels.

14. kennl

kennl Tele-Afflicted

I once attended a Mannheim Steamroller concert presented in 5.1 surround sound.
    I walked around the venue and noticed that the effect was best experienced at one point - the FOH board. A great technology can minimize that problem, and provide the most accurate reproduction to all listeners. Mono.

DeepDangler likes this.
  15. tiktok

tiktok Poster Extraordinaire

I used a stereo system for years, rack preamp, effects, power amp, two EV Thiele cabinets. It sounded great...to me, standing there in the sweet spot. The rest of the band didn't care. The audience never mentioned it, most of the PA's were dual mono anyways.

In the end I decided it wasn't worth the hassle for the gigs I was playing.

DeepDangler likes this.
  16. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Meister

Mono makes the most sense for live application. Strong and surround systems at home were created to simulate the sound stage of a live environment. This kind of tech shouldn’t be necessary when playing in a venue where you have an open sound stage..

17. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

I play my GT-100 into my stereo monitors at home. If I were going to play out live, which would be seldom these days, I think I would buy a pair of Katana 50's. They're pretty cheap. I could run the GT-100 into the line-ins for a small stereo setup, or just take one Katana by itself for a small thing, like a jam.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.