1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Stereo: worth the hassle?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by DeepDangler, Apr 1, 2021.

1. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Meister

I’ve sold my last tube amp and am considering getting a stereo setup for my rig but I’m on the fence. My current amp has a stereo extension cab output or I could just buy a Roland Jazz Chorus for a bit more.

Who uses stereo? Is it worth the trouble? Do you hear the difference in a rehearsal and live setting?

2. J. Bonkosky

J. Bonkosky Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Is your current amp a full stereo circuit? I have run stereo only at home and at band practice. I notice it at home for sure and it sounds great. In a band setting it kind of goes away and just sounds like a mono setup to me. YMMV

3. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I have on and off over the years, but I've always used two different amps. From my experience some amp combinations work and some don't, and you're never gonna know unless you try it. I know my Super Champ XD and my AC15 sure don't work together.

You find two amps that sound good together and it can be a magical thing.

green_henry likes this.
  4. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

stereo works great for some of the high end effects and preamps
    I use stereo for the studio setup , for live not so much as once the PA is set up no one is going to notice any panning while performing

teleplayr likes this.
  5. Refugee

Refugee Tele-Meister

It can make a difference. What I like to do is make sure that both amps are very different from each other. Having two of the same, lessons its impact. The theory behind that is like having a preamp section > off to f/x > split stereo > two of the same type amp, means that the signal will reach the speaker at almost the exact same moment. If it takes longer for one signal to get through it's side of the split, it makes it take a few milliseconds longer, and that deepens your stereo spread. Like a Mesa on one side and a Tweed with a rectifier tube on the other. Or a Dual Rec vs. Fender SF. Or, two really different Fenders. Or a Marshall and a Mesa etc.

If you are playing a lot of distorted rock type of music it's difficult to get much in the way of returns running in stereo. Greatly depends on how big the house system is and who is operating it.

muscmp likes this.
  6. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Meister

My amp is a 112 combo and has 2 speaker outputs. Standard and “effect out” which only plays the signal from the effects loop. I tested it once with a cab and it sounded cool but never picked it up.

7. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

Michael Swart (Swart Amps) makes a stereo amp (2 12 cab, I believe). I can't imagine what kind of separation you'd get with the speakers being so close together? However, he is a man of high regard in the boutique amp business. His amps are beyond reproach. And, he answers the phone, usually, when you call. Give him a ring.

8. lathoto

lathoto Tele-Meister

Stereo is not worth it.

Now two decent and decidedly different tube amps is a different story. It's better to separate bass and treble in conjunction with delay and reverb. Delay in the bass, reverb in the treble. Like Chet Atkins. Now that's got the makings of something that has depth and edge.

One time I had three amps. All Fender Tweed. Deluxe (bass), Bassman (treble), and Champ (lead boost). It was a lot to carry and mic up for a gig but it sounded really cool.

9. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Tele-Afflicted

I've been known to use 2 Tweed Deluxes.

10. J. Bonkosky

J. Bonkosky Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

So that is not a stereo amp. That is just an external speaker jack. Your signal will still be mono. Two amps with a stereo pedal chorus for example is stereo from a mono source (your guitar). If you could send the signal from each of your pickups to both amps that would be a full stereo setup. Neither the Roland JC120 or JC22 are full stereo. The JC40 is the closest to full stereo, but the effects loop is mono to stereo. Confused yet?

11. graybeard65

graybeard65 Tele-Meister

My experience with running a stereo rig live was that it was really lost. I spent money on a great rack rig and separate cabs, and we put one cab on either side of the drums...and offstage you couldn't tell.

At home, it was a blast with all of the delays and chorus hitting the separated cabs ~ but in the end it was a lot to load in and load out for very little result.

I wouldn't do it again - BUT...love the idea of using multiple amps for texture!

YMMV, just my humble two centavos

northernguitar and mfguitar like this.
  12. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I used to use a stereo setup but live it makes no sense; you would want the entire audience to hear the same thing. However, it can sound cool up close and if that inspires you then go for it.

northernguitar likes this.
  13. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

I enjoy running stereo and it just takes another amp and another cable. I run two Fender Super Champ XD amps off of the stereo outs from my Boss ME80 multi FX. It sounds huge live. The 30 total watts into 2 10” speakers is plenty of power in my band. Chorus, delays and reverbs sound very nice in stereo.

That Cal Webway likes this.
  14. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Friend of Leo's

Lovely at home with your amps in front of you, too much hassle for live, i gave up after 2 gigs...

Ricky D., teleplayr and DeepDangler like this.
  15. Fluddman

Fluddman Tele-Holic

I agree, great at home and for recording but not worth it for live use.

16. MarkA

MarkA Tele-Meister

I use stereo, 2 different tube amps or via the axeFX. I can never go back to 1 amp.

4pickupguy and DeepDangler like this.
  17. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

I wouldn’t gig with it unless I had a roadie, but I run a Fender Pinwheel and Oceans 12 reverb in stereo as the last two effects in the chain. Left goes to the Tone Master Blond Deluxe, right goes to the Supro Saturn. Glorious is the only way I can describe it.

DeepDangler likes this.
  18. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Great at home, I know running keys in the past, stereo looses some grandness at a gig. But, I think the texture of having two amps and the dispersion is worth it. I'm pretty close to taking two amps tomorrow nite, although its a small stage. And, I don't wanna traumatize the band, lol. Thinking about it...

19. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Afflicted

I run a Helix stereo into a Marshall combo and a Leslie. Simply marvelous.

Bob

DeepDangler and Mexitele Blues like this.
  20. Old Smokey

Old Smokey Tele-Meister

I really enjoy playing in stereo at home, but I just use monitors (or headphones) rather than two amps.

DeepDangler likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.