Stereo Speaker Advice

drmordo

Friend of Leo's
Congrats on coming back into the fold!

I have experimented a lot with vintage gear, and the one thing that has improved dramatically since the late 70s is speaker design. They literally did not understand how to design a speaker cab until the late 70s. The one exception I have heard are 70s EPI speakers, which frankly I love and have two sets of, though they really need an eq to come to life. They can also be gotten fairly cheaply or you can buy the components online and build your own cabs.

That said, new stuff can be great and will potentially be even cheaper. I personally gravitate toward JBL because I've had several pairs from different eras and they all sound great, so I would look for a recent manufacture set of JBLs. I would start by looking for studio monitors, because I find the hyped sound of consumer speakers fatiguing.

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I have a pair of Sonos that I’ve got wired to my phono preamp output. Reason I like them is that they are also an easy streaming platform when I’m not playing a record.

Tarkus60

Tele-Holic
I have a pair of Sonos that I’ve got wired to my phono preamp output. Reason I like them is that they are also an easy streaming platform when I’m not playing a record.
I wasted money on phono preamp. My 1977 Kenwood rejected it.......lol
The Kenwood phono preamp is good enough!
I guess my real question is floor standing or bookshelf.