1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Stereo Pedals

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by mistermullens, Apr 8, 2015.

1. mistermullens

mistermullens Poster Extraordinaire

I'm going stereo for my stage setup and I need some advice. I just picked up my second Vox AC4TV as a backup and for stereo stage use. Yes, I gig with a 5w amp, and it's awesome!

My Current Pedal Chain
    Guitar>Tuner>Crybaby>Boss 63 Reverb>AC4

Sometimes I'll sneak an overdrive pedal in the chain, but I rarely use it since I get my overdrive from the amp.

I have a Live Wire A/B/Y pedal I can use, but I take a minimalist approach to my gear, and the fewer pedals the better.

I'm not into delay, so those pedals are out. I've been hard pressed to find a reverb pedal I like as much as my Boss 63. I love tremolo, and miss it, even though I don't use it all that much.

I'd love to have a reverb & tremolo combo pedal, but they are expensive, and I don't know how many will do stereo. I'd also love to ditch the A/B/Y box if possible, and have a stereo reverb or tremolo pedal do the work.

Cost is a factor as well, but if I can offset any purchases by selling of any existing pedals, I'll do it. So, I'm looking for stereo reverb and stereo tremolo pedal suggestions as well as recommendations on pedal order.

Thanks!

2. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I have a TC Electronic Nova Modulator pedal that does chorus, phase, flanging, tremelo and vibrato. It's a little large and pricey, but gives you a lot of bang for the buck. I especially like the trem on it.

The Zoom MS-70CDR might be a smaller, less expensive alternative.

Any stereo chorus pedal will split the signal even if you don't use the chorus.

Just some thoughts...

3. Lucky Day

Lucky Day Tele-Afflicted

I have a line 6 Verbzilla that I picked up used for about $100. It has stereo in and stereo out. I use a boss CH1 chorus to split the signal, then each output goes into a separate input of the Verbzilla and out to each amp.

Behringer makes an inexpensive stereo tremolo pedal, but I can't recommend it having never used it.

My preference right now is to run tremolo at the end of the chain, so it makes the effect more stark. I find if I do tremolo then reverb (or OD, or chorus), the reverb kind of washes out the tremolo effect.

4. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

You will love the stereo rig!! Lots of people will say it's not worth doing but I played through 2 small amps for 15 or so years and loved it! The type of music and sound you are after are obvious criteria for how you do this, but for the rig I'm putting together I'm going with compressor into ODs into tremolo (and or chorus) reverb, delay. The trem or chorus are mono in stereo out. The verb and delay will be stereo in, stereo out. These days the delay/verb is the most important stereo effect to me. I think delay/verb with slight modulation sounds great.

5. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

There are tons of stereo reverb options from TC, Boss, and Hardwire that are all probable pretty good. I had a Hall of Fame (TC) that was decent, but I let it go when I got an amp with spring reverb that I liked.

As far as tremolo pedals in stereo, this one seems pretty cool. I admit, I haven't played one, but when I was looking (pun alert!) at stereo tremolo pedals this one caught my eye (dang did it again!).

http://www.youngpedals.com/thelooker.html

6. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Don't count out delay pedals! For a stereo rig, a delay of about 15ms sent to one amp and the dry signal sent to the other will give you some width without sounding like you're using any effects at all.

7. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

I do this with my DD-2.

8. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Here is a relatively new pedal with some will say, "the best old Fender tremolo" that keeps both amps live even when the effect is off:

Fulltone Custom Shop CS Supa-Trem2 Stereo Tremolo

Attached Files:

9. mistermullens

Thanks for the tips, everyone. I've been looking at the EHX Pulsar. Looks good, price is reasonable, and I like some of those funky sounds it has on tap. Any thoughts on this one?

10. Sun Of Ra

Sun Of Ra TDPRI Member

Mxr used to make a stereo in and out tremelo. TC electronics makes all those you mentioned. I liked the Biyang tri reverb when I had it. It has stereo in and out. Line 6 and Hardwire are others who makes them in stereo. Behringer make a stereo in and out reverb also.

Id put the tremelo before reverb. If you do it that way you dont need a stereo input for the tremelo.

Also, an unbuffered a/b box would be splitting your signal.

11. TheletterJ

TheletterJ Tele-Afflicted

I've always loved Line 6 stuff for this application. The M5 has a ton of effects, small footprint, stereo ins and outs, and it can be had at a steal.

12. mistermullens

Thanks for the tip on these. Can the M5 run two effects at a time? I always have reverb on, so that plus tremolo? Still, this may be a good option because I can lose the tuner from my board as well since this has one built in. Would probably work well with acoustic too!

Never mind. It's one at a time. Still, this may be the best option, even if I have to use a separate reverb pedal.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.