1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Stereo Out?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Norton72, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Norton72

Norton72 Tele-Afflicted

I have an EHX Stereo Electric Mistress. I don't use is much -- I'm not a big flanger fan and I prefer my VL Micro Vibe for chorusy sounds. However, I am intrigued by the idea of stereo effects. (At the moment, I don't have two "matching" amps. I have an SF Champ @ 5W and an Excelsior @ 13W.) Right now my effects chain is guitar>TS9>Electric Mistress>Voodoo Labs Micro Vibe>MXR Carbon Copy>Holy Grail>amp.

I was thinking of putting the EM at the end of the chain and out to two amps. As I said, I prefer the Micro Vibe, but I haven't found a combination of the MV and the EM together that I'm pleased with. So I guess I would be stuck with just using the EM if I wanted a true stereo effect. I also realize that I would not be able to get the swirly goodness of the MV in stereo, which is what I would really rather have.

Is there a better way to do this? I have only gotten the Excelsior recently, so I haven't tried running stereo yet. I'm just sitting here at work on my lunch hour thinking about it and thought I would throw it out here. I suppose there are signal splitters of a sort that I could use, but it doesn't seem that do anything other than give you identical sounds out of each amp. I think that some guys running stereo run dry to one amp and effects in the other. What I really wish is the the Micro Vibe was stereo out.

Anyway, just thinking out loud I guess.

2. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

If the micro vibe is a 100% wet vibrato effect, splitting the signal to dry-> one amp and wet-> the other might sound good.

I bet the EHX sounds good in stereo too. I love the chorus on this box but surprisingly I haven't even tried it in stereo yet. !

3. Norton72

Norton72 Tele-Afflicted

So I checked it out tonight when I got home. With the Champ on 8.5 and the Excelsior at a bout 11:00 I got a fairly balanced sound. With the EHX in Chorus mode only I got a decent stereo effect. Even with the Chorus Depth set at 3:00 it was not as dramatic as I had thought it might be. Added in a little delay and the separation started to get lost. With the Micro Vibe and/or the TS9 added in, forget about separation. It was still cool though, playing though two amps, one on each side of the room. Loud too!

4. Lowbassnotes

Lowbassnotes Friend of Leo's

You might want to pop for a decent ABY box, the ability to switch between 2 amps and then combine is really a blast. I have a 5 watt with 10" speaker on one side and a 18 watt head with 2x12 cab on the other. I balance the volume level and it's a lot of fun using different combinations of my effects while switching back and forth. Fuzz sounds totally monster in combined mode, it's like a 3D wall of sound hitting you. And of course chorus, delay and flanger sound luscious in stereo.

5. Norton72

Norton72 Tele-Afflicted

I guess I should clarify something. Where I have used the term "stereo" and "stereo effects" what I meant was the panning effect of the chorus, or flanger or Leslie effect. When I talk to myself I always know what I'm talking about, but the meaning sometimes does not convey to others.:lol: So that's reason I wanted to stereo out from the EHX.

I do have an ABY box, not sure if it is one of the better ones. It's a Signal Flex (never heard of it) but it runs off 9V battery (not sure why it needs one), does what it's supposed to and seems relatively quiet. The doesn't seem to be a lot of signal degradation, though it seems to me that there is just a little bit.

6. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

I find having the amps set a little different gets a bit more swirl - one a touch cleaner and brighter.

I'm not familar with the EHX - but I thought those are pretty good.

I usually do Stereo Delay, Vibe or Rotary effects - not flanging.

Other suggestions -
    Spread your amps a little further apart, point them slightly away from each other, stand a little further back. Get them a little more "Left ear right ear" - not just both next to each other right in your face.

7. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

I was using a pair of Pathfinder 15r's in stereo for quite a while. I used the stereo out of my chorus pedal (CE-3), this sends an untreated signal to one amp and a treated ver to the other. I really liked this setup, with the amps set wide apart you get a really nice full spread of sound.

I modified it a bit further by having the treated signal go through a phaser (its a mono effect). I've recently upgraded to a Princeton Recording Amp but I still run the signal to a Pathfinder as well, it can give you a fullness of sound without having the volume too loud. I've used a few devices to split the signal in the past but the CE-3 is my favorite.

Previously I've used a Delay pedal to split the signal - there are some great effects when running stereo delay but I'm not sure how they would stand up in live setting (i'm a home player at present). I've never tried it with an ABY setup, there it's more a case of duplicating the sound and possibly tweaking it at the amps I guess.

My new amp has an fx loop and I'm still futzing around trying to decide the best place for everything :rolleyes:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.