1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Stereo/hi-fi Joy

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by electricbody, Dec 9, 2008.

1. vjf1968

vjf1968 Poster Extraordinaire

Well since my Carver amp went on the fritz I have not been able to play any music through my Klipsch speakers. I am very bummed about this since that Carver amp and pre-amp were with me for over 15 years. But when it worked I have to say that when I played the Neil Young "Live At Massey Hall" and "Live At The Fillmore" on my DVD player to hear the High Resolution version of the concerts there was such an amazing sound. I have to wait till after tax time and see if there is any return from Uncle Sam to purchase a new amp, and possibly a Blue Ray player.

2. jericho60

jericho60 formerly ye olde fretmonkey

OH, I got the vinyl, I just got no place to put a turntable anymore.

3. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

I've got a car radio that can take USB-sticks with .mp3s, and I do download some otherwise hard to obtain stuff in .mp3 format - but for "quality" listening to music, I prefer records or CDs; even my entry-level hifi setup can run rings around the most sophisticated .mp3-players.

NAD 312 amplifier
    Yamaha TX-10 tuner
    JVC TD-W254 tape deck
    Dual CS 455 turntable
    Philips CDR 765 CD player (the weak link, to be replaced in the near future)
    Infinity Reference 1i speakers (relatively small - but I couldn't turn up bigger speakers in my city apartment, anyway...)

4. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

I always find it a bit weird how many musos don't have a decent hi-fi set up at home.

You'd think when someone wants to get every last ounce of tone out of their musical equipment that they'd want to experience the same when they're listening to other people's music at home, in the car or anywhere else. The two aspects seem to go hand in hand for me.

I cringe when I visit a friend's house where they have a moderate level home theatre system which gets cranked to the max whenever they have a BBQ. It distorts terribly and just sounds like crap but they seem to think that 'I'm a muso so I like loud music!'

I'd much rather listen to a decent sound at moderate levels so that you can actually hear the music without distortion.

I've never listened to an mp3 player and have no great desire to have one regardless of how convenient they may be.

Good hi-fi is a joy to listen to and makes anyone appreciate the music much more than they would through a lower quality system - even my wife (who is no tone freak) agrees with that.

5. kcp

kcp TDPRI Member

hi-fi junkie too:

built my own EL34 class A/B stereo power, us all separate components such as preamp, CD deck, turntable, tuner, dual powered subs, spent a fortune on most items including high-end cables, and turntable cartridges, love my vinyl the best

6. greggorypeccary

greggorypeccary Friend of Leo's

I've never known any other way of listening to music! :cool:

7. jericho60

jericho60 formerly ye olde fretmonkey

Mine just sounds wretched for music reproduction. Even my worn-out ears can tell...it's like a huge, loud jambox. If you want to use the sub to rattle the art off the walls for a movie, yeah. For music, NO.

I'll stick with my dinosaur, analog Marantz.

8. Eric Karonen

Eric Karonen RIP

Absolutely! I was into plain old stereo until I got a surround sound system. Awesome sound. My stereo gear is getting dusty, but I still spin a platter now and again.

9. PeteMac

PeteMac Friend of Leo's

I don't own an MP3 player . . . there, I said it.

I have always enjoyed/preferred/insisted upon having a decent stereo system.
    My "home theatre" system is built around my stereo music system, not the other way around.

NAD cd player (about 15 years old)
    New Pioneer amp (has direct monitoring mode - no tone stack, no "effects" - pure direct)
    Whatmough Monitors P10's
    and some JBL surround and centre for when I want to watch movies.

10. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Ahhhh...whilst working on computer last night, listened to LP of Stones' December's Children through Fisher 400 tube receiver and '70s JBLs.

11. Rasher

Rasher Tele-Meister

When I quit the band in the early 80s I turned to my stereo and have never looked back. I'm a confirmed addict to hi-fi and now have 1500 cds at the last count.

My hi-fi is all Naim gear now:
    Naim CDS cd player with CDS power supply
    Naim NAC 52 pre-amp with Supercap power supply
    2no. Naim NAP 135 mono power amps
    Naim SBL speakers

It's all I'll ever need or want

12. Bluesbend

Bluesbend Banned

There's nothing like kicking back and turning up the sounds. For me it's an 80w Yamaha amp with either cd's or casettes,(yes cassettes) through a set of Spendor and Design Acoustics speakers. For out in the shop it's a 110w Teac amp, pioneer cassette deck through a set of Infinity and Yamaha speakers. (I still have my turntable and old LP's as well.)

13. Carzee

Carzee Tele-Afflicted

the original set with the LED goes for good money. the batteries sure were good.
    some beautiful music on that set.:cool:

14. Rowdy Time

Rowdy Time Tele-Meister

I love going to pawn shops , antique and second hand stores for "hidden" gems. Earlier this year I found that tube powered RCA Console for $40.

I never really realized what i have laying around till I read this thread. I just bought some Advent Laureates for $50. I have Technics SL-1200MK2s for turntables with Ortofon DJS cartridges, and they go into a Rane TTM-56. My old DJ setup was pretty solid. Not really Hi Fi stuff but good nonetheless.

I'm thinking about building an amp for the Advent's, maybe a Gainclone based off of National Semiconductors LM3875. Just google "gainclone" or "chipamp."

On the other hand, if any of you have any good links, plans, or advice on building a tube stereo amp let me know. The biggest problem i have had is finding good iron at a price i can afford.

Anyways, some of you guys have some nice stuff!

15. electricbody

electricbody Tele-Afflicted

Yep, lots of folks here have some nice stuff. I'm still kicking myself for not buying that McIntosh amp. There's a ton of pawn shops here in town. I should go shopping once I'm "done" for the semester.

16. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

My stuff is upper consumer grade, Onkyo TX 2000 reciever, Advent Speakers, Pioneer manual belt drive turntable, Technics CD player. I've got an NAD cassette deck on lay away. It's going to cost me $30.00. My three head TEAC casette deck finally died, and I don't have the cash to have it fixed.

I like to run CD's through my Mackie mixer, RANE EQ's, Crest power amp and three-way Carvin PA speakers, but the neighbors have problems with it.

17. Kit

Kit TDPRI Member

MP3 players, especially iPods, are marketed as fashion accessories. For some semblance of quality, you do have a few choices. First, compression sucks the soul out of music the way pop music sucks the soul out of you. Use Rockbox firmware http://www.rockbox.org on your iPod to play FLAC files. Then run over the Apple earbuds with your car and get some Etymotic er6i earphones. You can't do anything about the crappy DAC chip but this is a HUGE improvement.

At home, the best thing you can do is get a tube preamp. I built a Bottlehead Foreplay. http://www.bottlehead.com/et/adobespc/foreplay3/foreplay3.htm This is not a subtle upgrade. After hearing the pre, naked digital sources sound thin and brittle.

MP3.... just say no.

18. bradpdx

bradpdx Friend of Leo's

I gave up on all my tube gear years ago - replaced my customized Dyna ST70s and tube preamps (with Celestion SL6S speakers) with a Bose Lifestyle system - the ultimate "consumer" sound company. It didn't take long for me to realize that my "tube amp bliss" was my own delusion, and the Bose setup (which was much easier on my family and then young children) in fact was far more musical and amenable to a real home environment. I got good money for the tube gear, but it had been a big waste of my time for years.

As to FLAC on an iPod, you don't need something esoteric like rockbox (which is beyond most users ability to setup and install). Just use the Apple Lossless codec, which is functionally 100% identical to FLAC and already works with iTunes/iPod.

You will not, however, be able to tell the difference between FLAC/Apple Lossless or well encoded AAC or MP3 files under 99.99% of real world A/B/X tests as long as the bitrate is sufficient (256kbps for very picky listeners). This is so well documented that I shall not say more.

19. twangcaster1

twangcaster1 Friend of Leo's

There's nothing like a good stereo filling a room with country music. It's a beautiful thing.

20. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

+! Brad. That Bose lifestyle stuff is awful good.

I have some Technics mid-fi electronics and a pair of JBL 4411's. For ears like mine, that's as good as it gets.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.