Stereo amps?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Jack Clayton, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Jack Clayton

Jack Clayton Tele-Meister

I'm considering switching to a stereo amp setup for my live shows. These days I gig with a silverface Vibrochamp, and I'm strongly considering getting a second one for this purpose. I recently asked around about good stereo chorus options, as that's a sound I use often.

Can anyone tell me anything I don't know about whether this is a good idea, pitfalls to avoid, or gear choices that will make my life easier?

2. ricknbaker

ricknbaker Tele-Holic

Nice if you've got a roadie to lug all that gear around for you.

Tomm Williams likes this.
  3. logans_tele

logans_tele Tele-Meister

Just make sure that when you're coming through the FOH that they've got your left and right amp coming out in stereo and not mono or the whole point is lost.

4. bricksnbeatles

bricksnbeatles Tele-Afflicted

I don't have anything to recommend except this: Get a fully stereo chorus (so stereo input too), and use an MXR phase 99 as the start of the stereo portion of your chain. Also get a true stereo panning tremolo pedal. It's a magical effect, and a great basis for a stereo rig (My Stereo acoustic rig is mono effects> phase 99> Line6 Tap Tremolo>stereo doubletracker>stereo volume pedal> infinity looper> strymon bluesky> stereo DI)

Jack Clayton likes this.
  5. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

Ground loops were the biggest problem when I was running stereo. You'll need something to isolate ground on one of the cables going to one of the amps.

There are other options, some cheaper, but I found that this works very, very well and is versatile and rugged. It'll quiet things right up:
    https://www.radialeng.com/product/stagebug-sb6

6. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

He could put casters on his Vibrochamps and push them himself.

Actually it would be kind of cool to get a blackface one for the second one.

7. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

Didn't George Harrison do something similar with a bunch of Vibrochamps?

8. ZenGuitarist

ZenGuitarist Tele-Holic

The problem with running stereo in a live situation is that most of the audience won't be sitting/standing in the right place to properly hear the stereo effect.

I have a pair of identical amps that I use at home when I want a stereo effect but for live work I've only ever run mono.

mfguitar likes this.
  9. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Holic

I used to run a Johnson Millennium with an extension cab. Using the auto panner created a subtle but lush chorus like effect, so Bricksnbeatles suggestion of a stereo tremolo is a good one.

Also, one clean & one overdriven is another great sound.

bricksnbeatles likes this.
  10. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Holic

If you're using the stereo set up to achieve "The Stereo Effect" (ping pong delays & such) you're right, but to really fatten up your sound or add depth it still can work.

11. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

I split through a Boss Stereo Chorus into a 40 watt tube Fender on one side and 40 watt tube Marshall on the other.

Also use a 15 watt tube amp on one side and a Roland Cube 60 on the other when I don't need the volume of a big rig.

Split into stereo through a delay pedal sometimes. Have to say I don't agree with one of the posts above --- even when straight-through no effects I still find it way better than mono.

Surround-sound the band, trio plus singer, makes a huge difference.

12. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

I quite often take the extra stereo out from my Lexicon rack unit in the fx loop of my boogie rig and send it to any old amp - often a clean keyboard or bass amp. The extra amp does not need to be identical, just another sound source to trick the ears into hearing a different soundscape.

It sounds huge.

With panned echoes and decent reverbs you can lose yourself for hours.

FenderLover likes this.
  13. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

'cause one Vibrochamp is enough of a burden, huh?

radiocaster, Jack Clayton and schmee like this.
  14. ricknbaker

ricknbaker Tele-Holic

Oh actualy i see they're not that heavy.
    OK it's managable. Maybe i was thinking of a Vibro King

15. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

Radial makes an active AB/Y that will get you there too. As far as I can see, it's got all the features of the Stagebug, and is the splitter that you'd need anyway. I wouldn't risk a passive AB/Y switcher or a stereo out pedal for this application for the reasons mentioned.

ukepicker likes this.
  16. scottser

scottser Tele-Afflicted

This is the issue. Front of house and large PA rigs generally are almost always in mono because a perfect stereo field is too small of an area in a venue. In mono it sounds good anywhere in the room. If you have your own sound guy then fine but if you're relying on the house, well, I can see problems.

17. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Get a ground lifting device/pedal, I often had hum issues using two amps. Also, make sure you amps are in phases. Strike a note and look to see if the speaker cone moves in or out. Then test the other amp for the same movement.

18. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Tele-Holic

I play stereo sometimes, mostly in small places where i don't need to mic the amp, if i have to mic the amp i usually mic only one or i take only one amp, too much hassle to go stereo on p.a.

Jack Clayton likes this.
  19. Jack Clayton

Oh no. I'd never attempt that. The whole reason I'm doing a champ is because my twin reverb was breaking my back.

20. Jack Clayton

I primarily play without a mic. Im a solo act, so I don't have to keep up with a band or anything. Mostly I do small venues.

Another question on a related note: if I were to go with another amp instead of a matching pair of champs, would anyone have a recommendation? I'm considering a Gibson Falcon that's for sale locally. Any thoughts?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.