Stepping in for a another guitarist. Proper decorum.

Ron R

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I have been asked to temporarily play in place of another guitarist who cannot play the band's upcoming scheduled gigs because of a medical situation. (He will recover and the gig is temporary)

I accepted. I will only have one rehearsal. We are playing rock, blues, country, rhythm and blues, and jam-band material.

I feel that I can adequately fill the hole, and can probably bring some more polish and variety to the set than what I have heard of their regular guitarist.

So....do I....
A) hold back, play tastefully in the background...?
B) Cut loose...and when it's my turn....try and really play it the way my heart feels it?
I'd roll with Plan B for the rehearsal, and maybe after a few songs, ask the band for feedback (did I play enough, too much, am I fitting in OK?). Then adjust accordingly.

StrangerNY

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I've been doing this type of gig for my livelihood for the past year or so.

Be prepared. Take a couple of songs to get a feel. If the band wants you to step it up they'll tell you.

If you're familiar with the band, think of how their shows go and work accordingly.

Remember, it's not your gig, it's theirs. Don't step on toes, but show your best. Have fun.

- D

Brett Valentine

Tele-Meister
For me, it's always a question of: "When it's my time to step to the front, do I try to do so in a style similar to the guitarist I'm subbing for (consistency for the listeners, but maybe giving off an sense of "I can do it like them, but better), or my own thing (I'm not your main guitarist, and this is what I do, but possibly not giving the listeners what they were anticipating). Usually in this type of situation, the band is okay either way, and so the choice is left up to me.

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
C) before the rehearsal, ask them what they expect from you. Play accordingly

^^^THIS.

You are a hired private contractor, not a charter member of the band. Get a feel for what they're after; some bands like to be adventurous onstage, and some are more conservative--sticking to fairly strict arrrangements. No showboating allowed unless the leader wants it.

Papanate

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
So....do I....
B) Cut loose...and when it's my turn....try and really play it the way my heart feels it?
Play as far above the norm as you can - play the pants off the gig - guy comes back and he'll have a lot to live up too.