Stepping in for a another guitarist. Proper decorum.

Cosmic Cowboy

Tele-Afflicted
I have been asked to temporarily play in place of another guitarist who cannot play the band's upcoming scheduled gigs because of a medical situation. (He will recover and the gig is temporary)

I accepted. I will only have one rehearsal. We are playing rock, blues, country, rhythm and blues, and jam-band material.

I feel that I can adequately fill the hole, and can probably bring some more polish and variety to the set than what I have heard of their regular guitarist.

So....do I....
A) hold back, play tastefully in the background...?
B) Cut loose...and when it's my turn....try and really play it the way my heart feels it?

ChicknPickn

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I have been asked to temporarily play in place of another guitarist who cannot play the band's upcoming scheduled gigs because of a medical situation. (He will recover and the gig is temporary)

I accepted. I will only have one rehearsal. We are playing rock, blues, country, rhythm and blues, and jam-band material.

I feel that I can adequately fill the hole, and can probably bring some more polish and variety to the set than what I have heard of their regular guitarist.

So....do I....
B) Cut loose...and when it's my turn....try and really play it the way my heart feels it?
This is your moment. Set the world on fire.

David Barnett

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I

So....do I....

Is there something between those two extremes?

I'd say play as well as you can, but don't step on any toes. Play what the song needs.

Tenderfoot

Tele-Afflicted
You're a hired guitarist, so play your normal way but take the opportunity at the rehearsal to get agreement on any "polish and variety" you might be thinking of doing while going through the set list. Keep in mind that your level of playing could well disrupt the others if done out of the blue.

Have fun and good luck.

pedro58

Tele-Meister
I am on the other side of the coin. I recently cut a piece of my fretting hand index finger off. A really nice fella, who is a wonderful player, sat in last Saturday night and will likely do so again this Saturday. I watched him last week and loved what he did. I was happy that he felt comfortable with the band and played well. When the time comes, I hope I'll step back in and do my thing. I feel like he's a better player than I am. My bandmates and my son disagree. Perhaps they're used to my style, but we'll see. I don't feel threatened.

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I am on the other side of the coin. I recently cut a piece of my fretting hand index finger off. A really nice fella, who is a wonderful player, sat in last Saturday night and will likely do so again this Saturday. I watched him last week and loved what he did. I was happy that he felt comfortable with the band and played well. When the time comes, I hope I'll step back in and do my thing. I feel like he's a better player than I am. My bandmates and my son disagree. Perhaps they're used to my style, but we'll see. I don't feel threatened.
Bravo!
An adult, well considered, non-jealous response.
I never felt threatened by the considerable skills of other players.
Watch, listen, learn, grow!

Last edited: