1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Stephen Stills

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Dan R, Mar 19, 2019.

1. DHart

DHart Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

He did some memorable tunes and made quite a contribution to CS&N. Definitely left his mark on earth.

Yeah.... I thought we'd lost another one, or were about to.

He finally did get his teeth fixed - and started smiling broadly.

nomadh likes this.
  2. Fritz303

Fritz303 TDPRI Member

nomadh and SnidelyWhiplash like this.
  3. Bassman8

Bassman8 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

First song I heard when I got on the road today:

nomadh, Jim W, Ben-Zion and 1 other person like this.
  4. tomkatf

tomkatf Tele-Afflicted

Always liked this song... Nice live version... Looks like Chris borrowed a Gretsch too...

5. cottonmike

cottonmike Tele-Meister

The Treasure gives me shivers.

nomadh, brookdalebill and Ben-Zion like this.
  6. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Afflicted

I grew up listening to Stills' various bands. What an amazing player. Got to see him when I was a kid, in the mid-80s on a CSN tour. Let me tell you, Judy Blue Eyes wasn't just some studio patch job - he absolutely smashed it. You suddenly realise you're in the presence of genius.

Go back and listen to 'Just Roll Tape' (as someone above said). What a mad thing. Hey, we've got some spare recording time. I'll just casually lay down a dozen of the songs that will shape this decade and the next. Who cares if the tape goes missing for thirty years? It'll be OK.

Musical genius.

nomadh and brookdalebill like this.
  7. knopflerfan

knopflerfan Tele-Afflicted

I agree - the first Manassas album is great.

nomadh and brookdalebill like this.
  8. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Saw CSN in the rain at a fairgrounds in Lewiston, Maine in 1984 or 1985. Opened the show with Love The One Your With, Stills playing an Explorer through his Dumble. The feud was in full swing, each had their own bus. But the coolest part was The Band, ALL the members, opened the show. Robbie Robertson played the show through Crosby's Mesa Boogie, Rick Danko was larger than life, Helm was so solid, Richard Manuel... Funny thing is. I can produce witnesses who were in attendance, but there is no tour record of that show that I can find

9. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

A favorite of mine too, along with C and N. Saw him twice. His weaker element is that he isn't a standout soloist, but he is a soloist and has good lines, just not a virtuoso. I think that suits the music though, because a super star soloist often takes away from the band, the music, and the mood. His music always has a message, meaning, and a purpose, just not overt or overdone. He always had selected instruments and gear, and keeps an acoustic flavor in most of his projects and tours. He seems modest by comparison to you-know-who, and I'd rather listen to Stills than you-know-who anytime, regardless of commercial success. Oh, and I like all those Florida folks, they all seemed restrained, modest, and just great musicians, versus their nemesii ego-driven commercial superiors. And they all like gear. Might have made an interesting project or tour.

10. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Afflicted

Ah, gee, I don't know about that. I think Stills is a standout soloist. But I wouldn't rather listen to him than you-know-who. Plenty of time on my turntable for both of them.

With blessings.

11. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

just listening to this masterful performance....

Hatfield92 likes this.
  12. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

Like Winwood, he has a style that mixes blues, rock, folk, jazz, country, and gospel that is difficult to replicate, and is highly creative, unique, and individual, and is highly infectious. Another true American treasure, extremely underrated IMO, and too unfairly and wrongly overshadowed by Neil, who is much more a one trick pony IMO.

nomadh, Bassman8 and TeleTucson like this.
  13. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Neil Young has released an album in just about every genre known to Western Mankind.

There are numerous One Trick Ponies out there, but Neil is not one of them. When you watch Steve's face when Neil is in the room, there's so much love and admiration and respect showing there. If Neil has a defect, it is that he doesn't share the stage IMO as well as he should, oftentimes.

14. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

Perhaps he has, but IMO they all sucked, except for when he's being the true Neil, ala Neil #1, Nowhere, Goldrush, Harvest, Zuma, and Beach type albums.

15. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone Tele-Meister

I've been a CS&N fan since I was a pup. I'm always telling y'all stories about the folk music festival that I attend each summer. About four years ago, at the last one my wife attended before she died, the featured performer was David Crosby. Melanie was really excited about seeing him, because she also loved the CS&N/CSN&Y songs that I'd learned over the years.

His set was kind of boring and almost all the songs sounded pretty much the same.

That was the day that I realized the reason I like CS&N and CSN&Y was that I really like Stephen Stills' music. I also like a fair amount of Neil Young's solo stuff. Crosby and Nash's? Not nearly so much.

16. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Well, I am very sorry that Melanie did not get to hear David at his best.

I happen to think his 2014 album "Croz" is super.

And IMO he's done nothing bad since then.

I think it could be argued that David still has more of his "stuff" here in 2019 than do either Neil or Stephen. Those are the 3 vying for the Gold Medal in CSN & Y and Stephen has surged ahead here and there. But the big news, I think, is that Neil isn't way ahead of the others at this point. Unless you look at his career as a whole. Just talking about 2019 or very recently.

nomadh likes this.
  17. Blue

Blue Tele-Afflicted

Neil Young is a good acoustic player but his electric lead playing sucks. I much prefer Stephen Stills.

18. rad1

rad1 Tele-Afflicted

Saw him with CSNY in the very early 70’s. They did a full set fully acoustic, then did an intermission and came back with a full set electric. Joni Mitchell joined them for part of the concert. Truly fantastic night of music.

boris bubbanov and brookdalebill like this.
  19. Bassman8

I hope this doesn't go more into a Stills vs. Young thing. Apples and Oranges.

Matt G likes this.
  20. Bassman8

Just saw Chris Stills (his son) on a TV show. No surprise the man is talented.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.