1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Stephen Stills

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Dan R, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Larmo63

Larmo63 Friend of Leo's

Stephen Stills is a living legend in my book.

The guy knows where the bodies are buried.

P Thought, Bassman8 and Dan R like this.
  2. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Holic

Is anyone else still upset with Neil for cutting that Buffalo Springfield reunion tour short several years ago? I thought I was actually going to get to see one of my all time favorite bands live. Thanks a bunch, Neil.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  3. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

Well Jimi played on Stills' first album

And they also recorded some stuff in 69

McGlamRock, radiocaster and Flyboy like this.
  4. kLyon

kLyon Tele-Holic

I played with him a few times back in the '80's, and I've never heard anyone get more sound - plain old volume of sound - out of an acoustic flattop. I played his Martin and the action was high, the strings heavy. I couldn't make it work: in his hands it sounded like an orchestra.

DonM, thegeezer, Torren61 and 5 others like this.
  5. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Afflicted

It's not Neil.Remember , it's The Muse.

boris bubbanov, Bassman8 and Flyboy like this.
  6. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

Great acoustic player, instantly recognizable electric player, great singer and writer, plus one of my favorite bassists. Too bad his hearing is almost gone. The first Mannasas album is a masterpiece!

7. Chip

Chip Friend of Leo's

I wish he’d go back to wearing his Cleveland BROWNS jersey.
    2767E3C2-9A1C-4C7F-9B90-D3F359FD8C4F.jpeg
    D167CE6F-8C7F-45C6-AB93-49F7CC365BA1.jpeg

8. Bassman8

Bassman8 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Always liked Stills a lot and long wished there was a modern authorized biography.
    In the meantime here he is in great form in my favorite Stills band.

nomadh, Chip, Ben-Zion and 5 others like this.
  9. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Afflicted

somewhere over a rainbow (Ex-L.A. resident)

I think it's cool to hear the demos of these two famous CSN songs
    It's all Stills without the amazing harmonies

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    nomadh, warrent, TeleTucson and 7 others like this.
  10. 4 Cat Slim

4 Cat Slim Friend of Leo's

So glad he was turned down for a part in The Monkees (if that story is true).
    He's the guy who got me interested in old guitars, and the reason why I played a Martin for many years.

nomadh and Larmo63 like this.
  11. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Afflicted

somewhere over a rainbow (Ex-L.A. resident)
    He auditioned but they thought he looked too old due to his thinning hair
    He was friends with Peter Tork and recommend him to the producers. He got the job.
    Good friends are good to have!

nomadh and Ben-Zion like this.
  12. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

IMO he doesn't get included by many in their short list of players because he is not particularly blues-based, nor is he an excessively flamboyant lead showman. From the first time I heard him, he stood out as incredibly musical and song-oriented in his approach, and remarkably inventive. He is a musician's musician and therefore probably less of a fan favorite as far as guitar wizardry is concerned. I think he's harder to emulate than many more flashy soloists.

P Thought, thegeezer, nomadh and 2 others like this.
  13. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

He is a great guitar player with soulful voice and his songwriting is a cut above the rest. So many interesting and varied type songs. Bluebird, Suite to Judy Blue eyes, Love the one you're with, Black Queen....the list goes on.

thegeezer, nomadh, TeleTucson and 2 others like this.
  14. 4 Cat Slim

4 Cat Slim Friend of Leo's

I saw Stills' tour with the Memphis Horns and Steve Fromholz in 1972, then with Manassas in 1973.
    Great band! In one show, they opened with "Rock and Roll Woman", then proceeded to play most of the first Manassas
    double album in sequence, for the most part, with a brief solo spot by Stills between the country and rock sides of that
    LP. I remember that Stills had 17 guitars (and one banjo) on stage.
    My understanding is that the record label was more interested in more CSN&Y output, so didn't
    promote the band (which was perceived as a Stills solo project, despite the fact that Manassas had seven guys in the band) as much as they could have. Which is a shame.

15. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

He improvised when he had to. Consider the B side of Super Session, especially It Takes a Lot to Laugh, It Takes a Train to Cry

nomadh likes this.
  16. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

what an inovative player , some of the best iconic music ever made , he once stated the best carreer move he ever made was when he was not chosen to play the part that Micheal Nesmith got in the Monkeys , it would have killed his carreer before it started, I agree. a rare talent!

Dave Gilmour did a tour before he retired with David Crosby and Graham Nash on back up vocals and Phil Manzanara on guitar, just the chemistry and vocal talents CSNY had was mind boggling the sum of the parts exceeds the whole for sure

Georox likes this.
  17. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Disagree.

Some people don't like all the "accidents" Steve has while improvising, but I think they're great and they don't scare me off one bit.

I do agree that more people should put their picks down and attempt some of the stuff that Steve does, but I do not think his rhythm playing stands out over any of the other, seemingly unlimited sets of skills Steve has shown on keyboards, bass, you name it. Basically, he does everything well, except that his furious pace is not sustainable over months and years and so he's gone into retreat from time to time, in search of repair from trying to do too much.

+

DonM, nomadh, Ben-Zion and 3 others like this.
  18. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I saw the show at the Fox in Oakland, in 2011, with Gillian and David opening. Ritchie was in great form and Stephen was full of presence and swagger and I was satisfied he had in fact licked the disease than had taken Dan Fogelburg a few years before. Neil was mostly just being solid old Neil, real good skill sets but the bass player and drummer were Neil's people and it felt like Neil Young with special guests Stills and Furay. The setlist started all Springfield but towards the end it devolved into a typical Neil Young gig.

But honestly, my fault for demanding way too much, and traveling way too far we should've stayed nearby overnight but we thought we were 21 or something.

Anyway, I've got to stop pushing back on Neil. We've always assumed there would always be another Neil Young album, then another. What if he's decided he's good with what he's done, and the creativity monkey is off his back? Maybe we're guilty of taking Neil for granted all this time.

Torren61 and Hatfield92 like this.
  19. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Tele-Holic

As an acoustic guitar player, and songwriter, he's legendary, and not just rhythm, he's got pretty great chops as a picker as well. I just love the way he does both in "Treetop Flyer", (a few mistakes in that as well), but he was after all, battling an alcohol addiction. Just about all his songs he did in open D tuning are incredible, and made him a fortune! Count me as one of his biggest fans....

nomadh, Torren61 and boris bubbanov like this.
  20. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's

Always liked him. Saw him twice with CSN & Y and once solo where Neil Young came out at the end and they played a couple old Buffalo Springfield songs. Then the next night I was in this little bar in Georgetown in D.C., the Apple Pie, and they came walking in. Good times.

boris bubbanov and Hatfield92 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.