1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Steinberg UR-Cs on Macs with Big Sur

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by Blrfl, Jan 4, 2021.

1. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Afflicted

A heads up for anyone with a Steinberg UR-C considering the Big Sur upgrade:

The Good News: Big Sur's pretty nice. Noticeably faster than Catalina on several fronts.

The Bad News: Big Sur's new driver architecture renders the old drivers flaky. Sometimes it works great and sometimes it causes applications using it to get hung up.

My Mac is my work computer; the UR-C gets switched among that and my two personal systems (one Linux, one Windows). I have a less-than-ideal workaround for the Mac that will get me through for the time being. If Steinberg doesnt cough up an upgrade in the next couple of months, I might go shopping for something else. (Shame, too, because on most fronts, it's been really great.)

2. t-ray

t-ray Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Thanks for the info. I have been holding off on Big Sur for similar reasons. I use a different interface and will check their website. What model and year is your Mac? I just got a 2019 16 inch MacBook Pro. Really like it. I was happy it came pre-installed with Catalina.
    UPDATE: Native Instruments says that my KOMPLETE AUDIO 6 MK1 is compatible with Big Sur. I am very happy about that as it has been an excellent interface for the past 10 years, or so.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
  3. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Afflicted

Mine's a 2019 15" MacBook Pro, which replaced a 2015 model in 2019. We get upgraded every four years, but TBH, my '15 was still solid as a rock.

4. still_fiddlin

still_fiddlin Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Been reading some of the Steinberg issues (UR44C here). They'll have to sort them out, obviously. I wish I understood why they couldn't get their driver code into Core Audio. It's the one thing that will probably move me off that interface when there's a better selection available.

I'm staying with Mojave. Well, my old MBP has High Sierra because it's too old to update, but my problem is 32-bit apps on the Mini so it's staying on Mojave. I could update the iMac because it doesn't have any 32-bit dependencies, but I prefer keeping the two systems [I switch between regularly] the same as long as I can.

5. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Gold Supporter

Sorry to hear about the Steinberg UR-C glitch, but glad to hear you've got Big Sur up and running without any ill effects! I've heard some horror tales, but guess they've ironed out the major bugs at this point. (I retired my ancient Saffire Pro 24 due to the Apple warnings, replaced it with a MOTU M4, but still reluctant to pull the trigger on Big Sur until I hear some glowing reviews.) I stuck with Snow Leopard until they wrested it from my grasp (due to a Logic upgrade), now looking for the next rock-stable one to hang onto for several years. Still go one machine on Mojave in case of any shenanigans.

6. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Afflicted

How are you liking that thing? I backordered a M4 but canceled it after someone here said that MOTU tends to be slow to acknowledge problems. I like the physical layout and the fact that it has meters.

The UR44C has a lot to recommend it beyond this driver thing, so I'm hoping to be able to hang onto it.

Honestly, if you don't have a pressing reason to upgrade, there's no reason not to stick with something that works for you. The holidays left a bit of a gap, but I'm doing 100% of what I do on an average day with no problems.

The IT people at my company run new releases internally and give us the green light to upgrade when ready after they've verified that all of our must-have applications still work. I do mine soon after because I'm a professional computer toucher and can give them early feedback about problems. I almost downgraded back to Catalina but decided to stick it out since all I'm really losing out on is my good microphone.

Yamaha's not the only one lagging on drivers. My wired Ethernet dongle (based on the ASIX AX88179 chip) stopped working because Apple's new driver architecture broke the driver. I've read that MacOS has built-in support for Realtek's chipsets, probably because that's what's in their own dongles. I'll be switching to one of those.

7. woodman

8. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Afflicted

Yamaha finally burped up a new driver for Big Sur. Yay! It causes my Mac to spontaneously reboot after a couple of hours of streaming stuff in or out of the interface or running their mixer app. Boo!

I dropped them a line about it with all of the gory details and didn't even get so much as an auto-reply.

So my 44C is going on the block once I find a suitable replacement. Shame, too, because it's an otherwise-excellent interface.

9. still_fiddlin

I did the upgrade to Big Sur a week or so ago and installed the 1.5 Tools from Yamaha/Steinberg. I have not seen any problems, myself - knock on wood, fingers crossed, etc. I'm going to be trying a short live stream on Saturday and have Rube Goldberg-ish collection of stuff between the dspMixFx app (+ "morphing channel strip" ooh ;)), UR44C, OBS, a camcorder+capture card, a "virtual cable" (VB-Cable), funneling into Zoom. Some head-banging-on-desk time until I found the virtual cable thing, and tinkering with the audio delay to sync with the capture card video. But, video tests are now working, and it's been up for several days, a couple with the apps just running, though not streaming. The checklist is almost as bad as when I packed stuff out to record elsewhere...

p.s. I'm on a 2017 iMac retina 5k 27" i5 quad core with 72GB of RAM (I tinker with video), and I'm using the USB 3.1 "super speed" driver. AC power to the UR44C.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
  10. woodman

I pulled the trigger for those exact reasons, plus I wanted two line ins for my hardware preamps. I've been quite pleased. Only quibble is it doesn't have quite as much gain as my old Focusrite Firewire, but it hasn't been an *issue* by any means.

11. still_fiddlin

There was an update to the Tools, version 1.5.1 on April 30, 2021, FWIW. I'll probably install it this week, while waiting for paint to dry...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.