Steer me right

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Missing Link, Feb 26, 2020.

1. Missing Link

Missing Link Tele-Meister

Hey folks question I am starting to dabble in rewinding failed guitar pickups. I was give some copper wire last week that is I believe 24 AWG (0.45mm), I know most all use 43-43 AWG (standard) wire to wind with but I have been searching all over to include this web site for information on if anyone has experimented with different size wire and amount of raps and the tones they came up with.
    I will probably give it a try but would be nice to hear of others with stories who have blaze the trail.
    Steer me to them thanks.

DL265919.jpg

2. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I'm nowhere near an expert, but the thickest I've heard of anyone using is 38 AWG in Charlie Christian pickups. Most tele pickups seem to use 42 oe 43 AWG. Maybe some of the pickup wonks on here can give you better info. Good luck.

3. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

save yerself a heap of grief and stick with 42awg.

4. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

in the world of Fender pups, about all were done with 42AWG. with the most notable exception being the Tele neck... at 43 . . perhaps this will help

[​IMG]

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.
  5. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

and there was a reason for 43awg in that tiny neck pickup bobbin, which had to do with what that neck pickup was created to achieve from day one. truth is, these dayze, 42awg is not only viable for that neck pickup, it can be more advantageous as a guitar pickup.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.