1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Steely Dan

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by chet again, Jun 15, 2019.

1. chulaivet1966

chulaivet1966 Tele-Afflicted

Yep.....talk about smoooooth. :)
    But...it's not a difficult tune IIRC...just difficult to reproduce those thick harmonies by oneself.
    Guess I need to check my SD manual so I don't make a fool of myself here.

Carry on....

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  2. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yes, yes! Chain Lightning! I was thinking the same thing this past Thursday. Wondering to myself “is there anyone out there appreciating what I hear?

Wildcard_35 likes this.
  3. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Gotta do Katy Lied. Great song, makes me recall every major mistake I ever made in the past 50 years-and the fact I survived them.

chulaivet1966 likes this.
  4. Kerberos

Kerberos Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Great band with some of the greatest musicians available. I always felt Steely Dan's subject matter was on the darker side of life, drugs, and other not so stellar subjects. Interesting. The music itself is fantastic. For me, I get a lot of imagery from Fagen's lyrics, few artists do that for me. In my Top Ten Albums is Donald Fagen's "The Nightfly". Though sadly Walter Becker was ill at the time, and ultimately passed away, filling in for him was Larry Carlton. I was more than thrilled to see them at the Citifield in NY, and see Mr. 335 step out with Steely Dan. He cranked away on Kid Charlemagne like droping the needle on the record. Awesome!
    Larry Carlton.jpg Larry Carlton and & Donald Fagan .jpg

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  5. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Their obvious, hit songs are of course really, really great.

But the "unsung" ( hah! ) songs are the ones that I tend to keep rediscovering - Pearl of the Quarter, Brooklyn Ows the Charmer ( Under Me ), King of the World, Kings, Daddy Don't Live in that New York City No More. I think someone mentioned richness and depth.

They make great use of bottleneck and steel playing; Denny Diaz and Jeff Baxter - man!

Great tone is everywhere, great amp sounds.

Steely Dan loves their guitars, that's for sure, maybe more than interesting clever lyrics.

bcorig, Manual Slim and RoyBGood like this.
  6. chulaivet1966

The tempo of that one works for me too.....hmmm.

Your self deprecating sense of humor is well intact this Saturday evening. :)
    I'm pretty proficient at that too. (= I can relate amigo)

Back to it....

bcorig likes this.
  7. fnkmstr

fnkmstr Tele-Meister

All Steely Dan, all the time...

Deathray, FenderLover and 4pickupguy like this.
  8. fnkmstr

fnkmstr Tele-Meister

No static at all.

Wildcard_35, Deathray and dogmeat like this.
  9. Brian J.

Brian J. Tele-Afflicted

I really dig steely dan now, but it took me years to mature enough to actually hear and appreciate them for the talent and skill, also for the excellent sounding production on all their records

bcorig and Manual Slim like this.
  10. chulaivet1966

Chuckle....you have walked into the light weed hopper. :)

Brian J. likes this.
  11. DNestler

DNestler Tele-Meister

Up to Pretzel Logic, I think their work was a bit uneven. Both Katy Lied and Royal Scam have brilliant songs on them, but also some less inspired work. For me, Pretzel Logic is a perfect album. It's top five desert island good. One of my favourite cuts is the cover of Ellington's "East St. Louis Toodle Oo".

Aja kills of course. :) After that I'm a bit more causal a listener.

By the way, Can't Buy a Thrill is perhaps the best album title from a band named for a fictional 'marital aide'.

Daniel

Deathray and RoyBGood like this.
  12. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Doctor of Teleocity

So nice to see that (in general), members here a full of love for this incredible music - Donald's 'Morph The Cat' and 'Sunken Condos' are going in my car today to help get me through work tomorrow!

13. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Do you play “With A Gun” by any chance?
    I learned it about 30 years ago, and it was tough going. Very chordy with rhythm changes, but once you nail it, it’s very rewarding.

Wildcard_35 likes this.
  14. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Doctor of Teleocity

Inspired by Ritchie Blackmore's tip to learn sax solos, 'because they're single notes, and can be copied on guitar', I've set myself the challenge of the solo in 'Doctor Wu'. :eek::cry:

bcorig and Stringbanger like this.
  15. 6String69

6String69 Tele-Holic

An amazing band. Love SD.

16. chulaivet1966

Mornin' Stringbanger....

No....I've never thought about doing that one. (as the song structure now starts playing in my mind)
    Ha....yes....they can get pretty "chordy" as you state.

I think it's great you stuck with it and felt that "rewarding" feeling which I can relate to in this context.
    Personally speaking, I would reiterate....if one wants to become more accomplished with their musicianship one has to work on songs that force them out of their comfort zone.
    Once one has struggled through the (seemingly vertical) learning curve one's confidence is enhanced and they will be less intimidated by choosing other challenging songs.

A good day to all....I need more coffee....

RoyBGood and Stringbanger like this.
  17. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I graduated from high school in ‘80. Green Earrings, Rikki, Peg were tunes I covered on guitar in my HS jazz rock band. Like others at the time I felt they were too smooth and ironic. I appreciate them more now. I think they represent the pinnacle of studio production in the analog age. They were perfectionists that labored over every measure. I saw an interview with a studio guitar guy who said that having a solo on an SD song was a huge badge of honor. Lots of guys came in for an hour, tried their best to create a righteous solo, got paid, but their part was cut when a different studio cat laid down the perfect solo.

My own approach to playing and recording is much looser and spontaneous, but I have to admit it’s because I don’t have the patience, perfectionist urge, nor the studio talent that would be required.

Moriarty likes this.
  18. Harry

Harry Tele-Meister

Multiple sources on the Net cite a Strat with a Gibson humbucker in the neck position into an SVT bass amp. Here's the whole story from Elliot Randall, the man behind the solo.

https://elliott-randall.com/2012/06/guitarist-magazine-interview-june-2012/

Wildcard_35 likes this.
  19. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I just put on Citizen Steely Dan and listen to it all, from the beginning in 1972 to 1980. It's an amazing journey, with not a bad tune in the whole shebang. I think some mistake subtlety for sterile, maybe.

Steely Dan is sublime in all their forms and phases. I love it all. Yes, including Gaucho, amigo.

20. fretWalkr

fretWalkr Tele-Meister

I'm a big fan of Becker and Fagen's work. They have had such amazing players and know how to get the results they want in the studio, which is no small task. This video shows the level of craft / artistry that went into making their records.

Manual Slim likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.