Steely Dan

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by chet again, Jun 15, 2019.

1. chet again

chet again Tele-Afflicted

I never really got into their albums but got the 45 of "Rikki". I never really turned the radio off if their songs were playing either.

I'm interested in hearing what you think of their albums "Katy Lied" and "The Royal Scam". I got used copies of a couple of the other albums today.

Tell me what you think of the group in general.

2. TeleTucson

TeleTucson Tele-Afflicted

Classic stuff ... at the core, Donald Fagan, Walter Becker, Jeff Baxter ... but always pulling in additional amazing studio talent on guitars. Elliott Randall, Larry Carlton, and more. What's not to like? :)

3. xland

xland Tele-Meister

I'm a huge Steely Dan fan. Royal Scam is one of my favorite albums of all-time.

Aja gets a lot of glory as their masterpiece and I don't necessarily disagree, but Royal Scam is right up there. From start to finish, a fantastic album. It's a must have in any classic/pop rock collection. Must. Have.

4. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

As much as i am a headbanger..those are my 2 fav albums..& Aja...makes no sense..i listen to steely Dan & Miles Davis. the songs capture the 70's to me growing up..the sneaky lyrics..the riffs..the great musicianship...i am mesmerized seeing them live... 98 lp (2).jpg

5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

They were the soundtrack for my high school years.
    Great guitar stuff, super clever/obtuse lyrics, brilliant melodies.
    My favorite albums are Countdown To Ecstasy, The Royal Scam, and Katy Lied.
    Love it still!

6. chulaivet1966

chulaivet1966 Tele-Afflicted

Always been a top favorite of mine.
    I have the SD Complete songbook which is complete though Aja...circa 1978.
    Yes...it's a bit ragged now. :)
    [​IMG]

Still on my practice playlist to this day:
    Kid Charlemagne/Rikki Don't Lost That Number/Black Friday/Pretzel Logic/Only A Fool Would Say That.

I could never say one album was better than the other....all have their special appeal to me.
    Although I didn't warmup to Goucho as much I still think it has it's musical merit for that era.
    All were stellar in all aspects to this old bird.

Carry on....

7. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

The Royal Scam is probably my fave of theirs if I had to pick but I have everything of theirs and enjoy all of it. Royal Scam is the summit of excellence with the guitar work though IMHO. Weakest is Two Against Nature personally. They then really bounced back with Everything Must Go, which is very cool album.

There is only good stuff to be discovered working through their catalogue and listening to them develop.

8. chet again

chet again Tele-Afflicted

I got Can't Buy A Thrill today. Never looked closely at the album cover before. Ha ha

Also got Countdown To Ecstasy.

9. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Reelin' In The Years has, to me, amazing guitar work. I love most songs on all their albums. Simply the best of the best as far as song construction, vocals and musicianship.

10. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Afflicted

ya.... Reelin'... especially in the times, it was a breath of fresh air. what can I say, obviously great musicians and a bunch of great songs. some of the lyrics.... meh, but yes, killer group

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    Greggorios, Crashbelt and Torren61 like this.
  11. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I was never crazy about them but liked Do it Again and then really liked Reel'in in the Years. Then I got their Greatest Hits CD and heard the blistering guitar solos on Kid Charlamagne and My Old School and thought, I like these guys. I saw them last summer with The Doobies and really enjoyed them even though Walter Becker is gone.

Wildcard_35, Greggorios and Torren61 like this.
  12. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Afflicted

there was a bar I used to go to that had a live version of "Peg" on the jukebox and da-ham did that rock... there was a longer solo than the LP had and just as rippin' if not more, weird tho because there was a pretty long rap at the beginning... talking to the crowd. I never heard it anywhere else.

verb boten, RoyBGood and Torren61 like this.
  13. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Great topics, great melodies, great textures, great mixes, great timeliness - they pretty much nailed everything about music.

14. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

Love them!! To me they represent an absolute pinnacle of songwriting and instrumental creativity. They effortlessly blended different styles (rock, jazz, blues, R&B) into almost a new category of music....and it didn't sound like a mash-up....it was all very effortlessly musical.

Anyone who doesn't like Steely Dan is afraid of music!! And is probably impotent....and very likely smells like Old Spice and suppressed rage. :cool:

I mostly know the earliest stuff and I think one of the greatest they wrote is one of their simplest musically and lyrically......

15. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My favorite song on that album as well.

boneyguy and Greggorios like this.
  16. Keefsdad

Keefsdad Tele-Holic

Royal scam and Countdown are amazing. Larry Carltons work on RS is legendary.

Greggorios, Deathray and studio1087 like this.
  17. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Doctor of Teleocity

Superb in every respect and simply in a class of their own. Don't forget Donald Fagen's solo albums; 'Morph The Cat' is a personal favourite.

18. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I think they’re great. Aja and Can’t Buy a Thrill are two of y favorite (all time) albums. I have a Dan anthology TAB book and properly learning one of their songs can be a long and complicated process. The complexity and beauty with Becker, Baxter and Carlton was amazing. I like all the auxiliary percussion and groove.

We saw the Becker and Fagan Rock and Soul Review concert in 1988. Hearing them bring it live was very exciting.

Greggorios, Deathray and RoyBGood like this.
  19. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Doctor of Teleocity

You're in for a treat! 'Razor Boy' is one of my favourite Steely Dan songs. Oh, and 'Pearl of The Quarter'. Another favourite is 'Here At The Western World' but is only (as far as I know) on a 'Greatest Hits' album - I think was recorded during the Royal Scam sessions and why it never made the cut for the album I'll never know.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  20. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Royal Scam and can't buy a thrill.
    Could NOT believe how good that guitar intro is on Reelin' in the Years
    even though it was played by Elliot Randall who played a solo based on the melody.
    Steely Dan! What can I say? Definitely one of the joys of my youth.

Torren61 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.