Steely Dan guitarist

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by AndreDanican, Aug 28, 2014.

1. AndreDanican

AndreDanican Tele-Holic

I heard Steely Dan last night. As usual they surround themselves with great players. The guitarist they have with them, Jon Herington, is a flat out stud. Anybody hear his solo stuff?

Walter Becker had like ten guitars, three LPs, two strats, two teles, an Explorerer :)shock:) and a flying V :)roll:). I know that's only nine but his guitar tech was so busy doing some kind of guitar shell game, constantly switching instruments in the middle of songs (as if something was wrong with the instrument in question) that it was difficult to keep track of the number of instruments lined up on stage. Some of them were never played. What's with that?

2. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity

No idea. It doesn't seem necessary to me unless you were say switching between electric and acoustic or 6 and 12 string for instance. Was it excessively humid?

3. The_Doctor [EV]

The_Doctor [EV] Tele-Meister

Can't say I'm familiar with him outside of Steely Dan, but I watched a Premier Guitar rig rundown where he was interviewed, and I was struck by the simplicity of his rig, especially as compared to the apparent excess of Walter Becker!

4. nasonm

nasonm Friend of Leo's

They're playing in town (Bangor, ME) tomorrow. I'll be working the show.

Looking forward to hearing it!

5. Chrisguitarguy

Chrisguitarguy TDPRI Member

Mr. Herrington has done a lot of projects outside of Steely Dan. Jazz, blues, fusion,... He pops up in a lot of fantastic projects. He was in a progressive band in the 80s called Chroma, worth checking out! FYI, the project I just finished up with in my studio was with Carl Clark, he purchased Jon Hereington's guitar from him that he used on Chroma, it was used on most of Carl Clark's CD. Small world!

But yeah, if Donald Fagen uses you for both SD and solo work, your a MONSTER!!!! Another small world connection, Scott Hull mastered Steely Dan's latest CDs as well as Don Fagen's solo work and Jon Herrington's solo work. Guess who mastered Carl's new CD? Small world! ; )

6. AndreDanican

AndreDanican Tele-Holic

No, it was not excessively humid or anything that would necessitate all the switching by Becker. It looked like a GC display!

7. AndreDanican

AndreDanican Tele-Holic

Enjoy! I came away very impressed with Jon Herington and the rest of the band. Fagen still can sing and is clearly the ringleader. Becker...hmm, some cringe-worthy solo moments.

8. AndreDanican

AndreDanican Tele-Holic

Let me know when Clark's CD is out!

9. Chrisguitarguy

Chrisguitarguy TDPRI Member

It comes out September 4th, the website (I believe) is to launch on that date as well (CDs will be available directly fro the site).
    http://www.talesfromtheclarkside.com/

And here is a sampler of all the tracks from the CD.
    https://soundcloud.com/carl-clark-music/tales-from-the-clarkside-demo

It is an amazing concept of a CD! When the website opens, check out what the entire CD is about and who did tge cover art work, AWESOME!!!

I hope this helps.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.