1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Steely Dan > Complete Songbook?

Discussion in 'The Writers' Block' started by Matt G, Jan 30, 2020.

1. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Afflicted

My quick Google search didn't turn up any obvious examples of a complete Steely Dan songbook, but what I'm after may simply have been a few pages from the top. Can anyone here point to (better yet, recommend) a book like that? Obviously guitar tab would be nice, but for what I'm doing I can work it out from piano if need be.

Thanks in advance for the advice, whether it's a 'yes' or 'no such beast'.

Cheers

Matt

2. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Maybe try the Ultimate Guitar Tabs site. It's not always perfect, but usually gets me in the ball park.

Matt G likes this.
  3. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Afflicted

Thanks. If I have to get the one by one then that's a start . . . but I'd rather just spend the money and get them in a single book.

4. Linds

Linds TDPRI Member

Matt
    Go to bookdepository.com and search on "Steely Dan Complete". It's $(A)45.30 post free. It's a collection of voice and piano arrangements.
    Linds

stormsedge and Matt G like this.
  5. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Afflicted

Thank you Linds, you champion.

I had a hunch the answer would be obvious.

Although I'm usually pretty good at search, there was so much crap that I gave up early and tried Plan B.

p.s. if you've been here since 2003 and this is only your 8th post, you must the Master Of All Lurkers. ;-)

tubegeek and drmordo like this.
  6. Linds

Linds TDPRI Member

My grandfather told me,"Linds, it's better to be thought an idiot than to run off at the mouth and remove all doubt." I always paid attention to the old boy:lol:
    Linds

tubegeek, drmordo and stormsedge like this.
  7. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

As I was interested in this too (just didn't know it), I note that Amazon also has a "complete" and an "anthology", as well as a few others. Happy Hunting!

Matt G likes this.
  8. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Afflicted

Ah! That makes sense.

I though you might've spent the last fifteen years in jail. ;-)

9. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Afflicted

The anthology seems to have only about 36 out of 63 songs from the pre-1980 band. Steely Dan Complete is looking like the prize.

stormsedge likes this.
  10. Linds

Linds TDPRI Member

Yes. Every track off every album. If you want guitar parts, you'll have to do the hard yards.
    Linds

stormsedge likes this.
  11. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Aha! Excellent...I didn't have time to investigate other than titles.

12. chulaivet1966

chulaivet1966 Tele-Afflicted

Matt G and stormsedge like this.
  13. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Afflicted

I mostly want to see the changes written out in a way that doesn't fry my eyes. As for guitar parts, am guessing that YouTube already features some twelve year old virtuoso who's laid out every single note of every single lead. . . .

drmordo and stormsedge like this.
  14. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Holic

Unfortunately, if you read the Amazon reviews of Complete, it seems to have quite a few significant errors. Also, the guitar chords are apparently very simplified and not terribly helpful.

It might still be useful, but you'll have to use it as a building block rather than the answer. If you can read music at all, I suspect the written parts are more accurate than the guitar chords, but the reviews state there are errors in the notation as well...

Matt G likes this.
  15. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Afflicted

Yes, after a close look at the reviews, all the songbooks seem pretty average. Rather than spend the money and then have to finish the job myself, I've bookmarked this Steely Dan tab site.

16. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Holic

I've recently been spending time with an older SD book called "Music from 4 Albums" (the first four) that seems pretty good though I've only run thru a handful of songs. I also have another older book that is just Royal Scam and Aja, though I have not even opened it thus far. So the only 70s album I don't have is Gaucho. I need to get that too, because I need to learn Third World Man someday, which is a personal fav. For many years, it kind of sat on me that such a brilliant and haunting ballad was their last recorded song. It was an incredible note to go out on. That said, I love the new albums, though I wish they'd kept more of a 70s style with the drums.

For me, I don't plan to perform these songs live, I mostly study them to expand my understanding of chord use and for inspiration in my songwriting. So if the book is pretty close, that's ok with me.

For two incredibly concentrated lessons on songwriting, spend a couple of hours analyzing "Doctor Wu" and "Bad Sneakers". You could write a textbook from those two alone IMO.

17. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Afflicted

Every time I open one of their songs up, I get a whole box full of lessons. It still amazes me that such young guys could have so much sophisticated music in them.

18. chulaivet1966

chulaivet1966 Tele-Afflicted

I hear you....isn't that the truth.

I'm a rhythm player and have no interest in learning leads at all.
    If I'm at some function/venue and get conned I can play the following ones reasonably well. (a cold Sam Adams would also help)

Pretzel Logic
    Black Friday
    Only A Fool Would Say That
    Ricki Don't Lose That Number
    Kid Charlemagne

I enjoy playing along with all of them and have contemplated grabbing another one but don't want my neurons to seize up. :)

Back to it....

Matt G likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.