Steel Wool on the Neck... anybody do this?

Webfoot

Tele-Holic
I think I have seen people post that they take steel wool to the back side of the neck to remove the slickness and make it feel more like exposed wood.

Anybody do this?

On an expensive guitar?

Do you see the scruff marks?

Did it help alot?

Jellyroll

Tele-Holic
Did it, will do it again. Does not make it feel like exposed wood, but makes it more slippery. Does not look scuffed, but less glossy. Not real noticeable, but my guitar is a blond. I would not do it on a guitar I would think about selling or a collector piece, but I do it to all my working guitars I plan on keeping. I think it makes a significant difference.

blue metalflake

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Yes. I've done it to several necks - a great way to remove any stickiness.

Use a light touch and you'll get the best effect - no scuff marks. Don't go mad with it though.

kp8

Friend of Leo's
I've done it. Use 0000 steel wool. Go a bit easy at first. First time i did this was years ago when I had a 81 Fender maple neck guitar that looked like it was sealed in yellow glass. Was grippy as a ____. I used the 0000 steel wool on the frets to polish them suckas right up, on the fingerboard and hit the back of the neck too, gigantic improvement.

Just make sure to tape down your p/ups. The pole pieces will attract the wool shavings. It also helps to have a magnet around to pick up the shavings. I do this outdoors as well.

sneakyjapan

Poster Extraordinaire
I`ve used Scotch Guard pads instead removes the sticky and the shine comes back after playing for a while.

Mark Davis

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I`ve used Scotch Guard pads instead removes the sticky and the shine comes back after playing for a while.

Thats what I use too 3M scotch works great and you dont have to worry about the pickups.

I used to use steel wool did that for years been using the 3m pads for 10 years or so.

conkface

TDPRI Member
Comment #2 by Jellyroll I completly agree with. I've got a roadworn with no finish on the neck and it's awesome. Taking steel wool or a scotchbrite pad to a poly neck will take the fake stickyness away but with raw wood or at least with my roadworn it seams like heat from your hand imediatly transfers to the neck. When you sand down a thick polly neck you get less stickyness and is a big improvment but you miss the raw wood feel.

twangstick

Tele-Holic
I used a scouring pad on my neck. The neck had no real finish on it anyway, and after scrubbing at it for a while whenever watching TV or something, the neck became so fast and playable.

After doing this I let the natural oil from my hands go into the wood and it feels better than any other neck I've played.