Steel strings? To brighten Dark neck humbucker dark sounding amp

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by AJ Ray, Mar 31, 2020.

1. AJ Ray

AJ Ray Tele-Meister

Any ideas? My chris shiflett tele deluxe and bugera v5. Sound nice but due a string change and like experimenting so thinking about which strings might help to brighten the sound. I have heard that steel strings will wear my frets down more though

ping-ping-clicka likes this.
  2. marc2211

marc2211 Tele-Holic

I have used stainless steel strings exclusively for about 18 months (Rotosound British Steel) - they definitely brighten up guitars. I have a Gibson LP special that was very dark, but with steel strings it offers a much brighter tone and a lot more definition.

As for fret wear, I’ve not seen any huge increases or damage.

SS also last for ever, I go months (6+) between changes.

3. AJ Ray

AJ Ray Tele-Meister

Thanks for your reply. Are the strings you use coated ? Is that why they last so long? I play for about an hour per day and usually opt for coated although I'm wondering if this guitar and coated strings might result in a dull tone.

4. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Might help a bit yes. I’d perhaps take the pickup out of the tone stack for maximum brightness. I’ve done that before on overly warm neck pickups. Easy to try and to revert if no help. Also having an EQ pedal is a great tool for tone tweaks when using different guitars.

5. Han Valen

Han Valen TDPRI Member

1mega vol.pot

6. marc2211

marc2211 Tele-Holic

Nope, not coated. SS is naturally much much more corrosion resistant than nickel, so they last a lot longer.

7. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Afflicted

8. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

9. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

You do realise that all PLAIN strings are the same ,plain steel,and the , marginal, difference is in the wound strings only , do you?

10. ale.istotle

ale.istotle Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

And yet the winding material does change the sound.

11. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

If you watch this demo which was educational for me as well as a one variation of cure for a common problem Brain May Billy Gibbons used the dallas Rangemaster.
    Treble boosters are cool but I need a talent booster. Where can I get one of those?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
    hopdybob and Chipss36 like this.
  12. AJ Ray

AJ Ray Tele-Meister

Having played for a couple hours a day through my bugera v5 I have grown to really enjoy this guitar and the pickups as they are. To me they seem less muddy. I wonder if my amp is breaking in or something because I sometimes find myself rolling the tone back a little. J initially thought I would change the pots etc but I'm not so sure at the moment. I'm playing more than I've ever played and picking the guitar up more. Toggle switch cuts out which can be a pain but other than that I'm pretty happy stock.
    One thing I did do was lower the pickup height and raise pole pieces. Cant remember exactly what I did but i sometimes get this cool thing where a note actually gets louder as i hold it. Kinda like a wave. Pretty odd but cool

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.