Steel Saddles vs Brass Saddles

stringfellow93

Tele-Meister
What is the difference? does this change the tone at all? I've got a vintage style 3 steel saddle bridge that I planned on chaning out. I planned on just swapping the saddles because it's so damn hard finding/keeping up with a 1.5mm allen wrench.

A.B.Negative

Friend of Leo's
I find steel saddles to be too "zingy" for my taste. I prefer brass saddles, they tame the high trebliness and sound fuller.

A.B.Negative

Friend of Leo's
Not that I've noticed. I have grooved saddles on my Bigsbyfied Tele to stop the strings sliding from side to side. It's less of a problem when the strings go through the body.

stringfellow93

Tele-Meister
I've got a traditional string through body, I just didn't know if this was every a problem. I would however love to find some brass ones with the slotted groves for extra support.

Buzzin_Cousin

Tele-Holic
I've got a traditional string through body, I just didn't know if this was every a problem. I would however love to find some brass ones with the slotted groves for extra support.

What guitar do you have, and which saddles are you going from/to? I have an affinity, and trying to figure out what's on the market that will fit it.

Brandon mac

Tele-Holic
Not gonna change the tone of the amplified guitar. May change the unplugged sound or may not. If it made any difference at all to the amped signal,people would be able to pick saddle materials out of a blind recording. Same thing with body wood. I've never met anybody who could pick out whether or not a guitar was an ash or maple or pine or mahogany body with any brand or type of saddles. Of course YMMV and likely will!

wmsimpson

Tele-Holic
Not gonna change the tone of the amplified guitar. May change the unplugged sound or may not. If it made any difference at all to the amped signal,people would be able to pick saddle materials out of a blind recording.

I agree to a certain extent... I could never pick the guitar with steel vs brass saddles in a blind test. BUT, I swapped out the 3 steel saddles on my HW1 Tele with brass (did not change strings) and it made a very noticeable difference in tone. I actually preferred the sound of the original steel saddles in that particular guitar, and so I switched them back, again without changing strings. Yes, steel and brass saddles do sound different on the same guitar without changing anything else... at least on my guitar. :)

Twang Tone

Friend of Leo's
What is the difference? does this change the tone at all? I've got a vintage style 3 steel saddle bridge that I planned on chaning out. I planned on just swapping the saddles because it's so damn hard finding/keeping up with a 1.5mm allen wrench.

Steel saddles will add brightness - great for Country picking on the clean channel, to add that pop and snap. Brass saddles produce (to my ears at least) a very slightly darker sound, not as twangy but great for sustain. My comparisons come from my MIM 50s Esquire (with steel saddles) and my AV52RI (with brass saddles). Same strings, same amp, same player.

Thanks,

xtrajerry

Doctor of Teleocity
My favorite sounding Teles are the ones I have with steel saddles. Not enough of a difference that I want to run out and swap them. They do sound a little bit brighter to me but nothing that I can't dial in with my amps.

stringfellow93

Tele-Meister
My saddles in my bridge right now are stripped so I was just curious what other people have experienced. But I agree with you, it's not something I would just randomly go out and switch.

elbee

TDPRI Member
I have brass saddles, and was a bit worried about intonation, but the guitar is really
well intonated, and stays that way even when I keep practicing heavy bendings.

SwampAsh54

Tele-Meister
I had put a set of Brass Saddles on one of my Teles, but thought that the lower stings were not sounding as musical as I had expected. I changed out the "E"-"A" saddle to a Steel saddle, and that really brought those strings back to life. All in All, I really like that combination on that guitar. I was surprised how balanced the sound was, with the two different materials.

Commodore 64

Friend of Leo's
Steel saddles will add brightness - great for Country picking on the clean channel, to add that pop and snap. Brass saddles produce (to my ears at least) a very slightly darker sound, not as twangy but great for sustain. My comparisons come from my MIM 50s Esquire (with steel saddles) and my AV52RI (with brass saddles). Same strings, same amp, same player.

Thanks,
Those are two different guitars though, different pickups, different electronics...

I fall into the "a node is a node is a node" camp. The string vibrates between nodes. The vibrations cause an electric current to be generated. That current is amplified and converted to sound waves through a very complex circuit/system. The node doesn't care whether it's steel, bone, micarta, copper, or brass. Is there a difference in the waveform? Perhaps. Is that difference discernible once it comes out of the amp (especially at a gig or rehearsal volume)? IMO, not one iota.

I have brass saddles on one of my Teles ('94 MiM). Why? Because I like the way they look.

I left the stock bridge on my other Tele, (2009 MiM). Why? Because there are other things I'd rather do with my time.

polvotone

Tele-Meister
I can't get along with brass saddles. I mostly play for tone, in my bedroom and there's a big difference in tone, between the two.

stringfellow93

Tele-Meister
I ended up getting some brass saddles (the only ones guitar center had in stock) because I was slightly intersted in them myself because I have never played one with them. I really like the tone I get from them. To me it sounds more like that tele twang that I love.

EsquireOK

Poster Extraordinaire
Not gonna change the tone of the amplified guitar. May change the unplugged sound or may not. If it made any difference at all to the amped signal,people would be able to pick saddle materials out of a blind recording. Same thing with body wood. I've never met anybody who could pick out whether or not a guitar was an ash or maple or pine or mahogany body with any brand or type of saddles. Of course YMMV and likely will!

Yuuuup!