Steamed Buns vs. Toasted Buns

Do you prefer steamed or toasted buns for hot dogs, bratwursts, hamburgers, Phillies, subs, etc.?

• Steamed

Votes: 16 33.3%
  • Toasted

Votes: 30 62.5%
  • Straight from the bag

Votes: 14 29.2%

• Total voters

Flip G

Tele-Holic
buns-taste-test.png

Brent Hutto

Tele-Afflicted
I have a deal with hot dogs. I don't eat them and they don't eat me.

But if we're talking hamburger buns, toasted. Definitely. Steamed are awful.

don71

Tele-Afflicted
It depends. I don't want to sound pedantic, but you say toasted, do you really mean caramelized?

All three have their place.

Happy eating.

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Toasted is best.
Steamed is OK.
If I’m starvin’, I’ll tolerate right outa’ the bag.
The best hot dogs, European wieners, and brats I ever ate were from street vendor carts in Pr. George, BC.
They’d toast the buns, and the dogs/brats were grilled, with really good condiments.
Toasted shows respect!

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I used to love those steamed hot dogs at the Drive Inn theater! I could easily eat four of them! Okay, a half-a-dozen.

stxrus

Doctor of Teleocity
I prefer hotdog buns to be steamed but will go for fresh out of the bag or toasted.
Toasted or fresh out of the bag for burgers

Bob Womack

Friend of Leo's
I'm from Knoxville, Tennessee. Should say it all, but doesn't. Years ago, somewhere in the early '60s, a deli called Sam & Andy's on Cumberland Avenue began steaming their deli sandwiches in a Wear-Ever Fresh-O-Matic Steamer. It has since become the traditional way to serve deli sandwiches in East Tennessee.

sam-andy-deli-knoxville-1.png

While traveling, the deli's owners got the idea from a little traditional Jewish deli near Asheville, North Carolina, called the Pickle Barrel Deli. Sam & Andy and their deli are gone at this point. The oldest continually operated deli to do it is now Parton's in Gatlinburg. There's a nice historical article about the practice, HERE.

Bob

johnny k

Doctor of Teleocity
I like them in a baguette, but all 3 are fine to me. I didn't even know you had to toast them in fact.