Steam Benda'

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by Davecam48, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Hi all ...........just a small post to demo a quick project I slapped together yesterday.

I seem to work mostly with very thin timber lately, usually in the order of 1.5mm to about 2mm as I keep trying to perfect my method of building with full kerf type construction to build very strong but light weight guitar bodies. I've been experimenting with a few different ways of shaping thin wood for guitar sides for quite a while and it struck me that how I used to get a good success rate before was by using a wet rag over a very hot pipe to produce steam which is hotter than boiling water.

Yesterday I said to myself............"Myself I said, lets cut out the middle man and go straight to steam!"

Bought 1/2 metre of 30mm stainless pipe and cut it in half (now have two pieces) and I drilled 11 x 3mm holes roughly in a line down one end of a pipe and made two wooden plugs, one with a 6mm aluminium tube in it.

Old pressure cooker, old steam cleaner rubber hose, old BBQ twin gas burner, and water. Hooked 'em all up as per photos, boiled water, burned left hand on hot pipe, (buy some gloves) rub 70mm wide x 1,4mm thick wood over steam eruption on pipe's end a few times, and Bob was indeed my Mother's brother. IMGP9812.JPG IMGP9807.JPG IMGP9816.JPG IMGP9818.JPG

guitarbuilder and Darkness like this.
  2. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

That's very cool. I attempted to build a skin on frame kayak several years ago. My plan was to use large diameter PVC pipe as a steam oven to prep the ribs before bending them. They seem to be the experts.

3. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Don’t you have to have a license for a contraption like that?:eek::p

You are the clever boy, Dave, never run out of steam AND keep the bar hot. Very ingenious, indeed. My reading prior to building Brenda revealed there are some who bend wood dry, but my experiments with walnut would singe, discolor, and almost burn right about the temp where the wood became flexible. Wetting it down with a spritzer bottle helped that, plus the steam seemed to help loosen up the wood.

I had set my thickness a bit more than yours-3-3.5 mm, which seemed awfully thin, until I worked with it- kerfing and top/ bottom glued on strengthens it exponentially.

It is kind of neat when you finally feel the lignin bonds giving up and the wood suddenly starts going your way—kind of like winning an arm-wrestling match, which, if you can believe Paul Hogan, is the Oz national sport, right?

4. R. Stratenstein

Some guys do use PV C pipe, but it will sag badly, and get kind of melty if not fully supported.

5. Davecam48

When I worked @ the hearing centre before I retired, an old bloke who worked with wood all his life came in one day with a load of wood to give me. His family fobade him to keep wood-working as his eyesight was failing rapidly and feared he'd cut off his hand etc. Amongst this wood was a piece of spalted sassafras which was the best timber I have ever bent. You would wave a piece over the mould and it would practically jump to shape instantly. My Long Yi Dragon's Wings build used the sassy sides and it comes out beautifully. The stuff I bent above was just some old bed frame pine 100 yrs plus old mainly as a try out ....seemed to work, the bend I photographed is 30mm diam. 1 1/4 of your inches.

DC

6. Davecam48

Hey Rick! 3 days ago I built a rather complicated heated rod using a 200Watt cartridge heater with an old towel sewn into a conveyor type belt running up over the aluminium rod from a bucket of water below. This was to produce steam which it did but not with the ferocity of the current unit and the aluminium marked everything black with aluminium oxide so more work to do after.

The stainless seems good in that regard. Might build another one with more holes or a few angle grinder cut thin slots to increase the steam flow.

DC

7. R. Stratenstein

Odd, Brenda is an all-aluminum gal, but doesn’t leave marks on the wood. Maybe it’s because I give her a good spritzing and rubdown with an old towel before we get into action. Funny, though, Mrs. Stratenstein doesn’t go for being spritzed and rubbed down with an old towel. Wimmen sure are fickle, ain’t they?

From the looks of your gadget, you’d think steam would pour out of the holes you got now, but if you need more steam, and can avoid parboiling your face and arms, slots would likely give you more, and maybe more uniform, steam.

8. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

Attached Files:

R. Stratenstein and Davecam48 like this.
  9. Davecam48

Wow!!! That's great work Dave...........great looking little amps.............very stylish and great skills!! Thanks for the link!

DC

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.