1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Steak

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by schmee, Jul 10, 2020.

1. ChubbyFingers

ChubbyFingers Tele-Holic

Well. That EX-cludes most of France then.

It's July. Are the air traffic controllers and truck drivers on strike again or have they all been furloughed until the COVID thing is over?

2. Rusty Spanner

Rusty Spanner Tele-Meister

:)
    I'm certainly not a steak snob.
    But I'm not a huge fan of corn fed beef either.

We don't really have it in the UK, so I was interested if people seek out non corn fed beef in the US.

3. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

Banned.

4. yojimbo

yojimbo Tele-Meister

when i cook indoors, i use the reverse sear skillet method. outdoors is different. i always use real red oak or pecan. no charcoal. i set the grill so low the meat is practically on the coals. i make sure to get a nice char on both sides of the meat. the secret here, is to use cream of horseradish for dipping sauce. there's something about how the char mixes with the horseradish that's unique

5. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

Not yet. They will be on strike when they come back from holydays.

ChubbyFingers likes this.
  6. ChubbyFingers

ChubbyFingers Tele-Holic

I'm an ex-pat Brit, but i can still remember the whole "My Lidl Pony" scandal, not to mention when we Brits scored an own-goal by feeding our own cattle on, um, other cattle....

Corn is a perfectly natural grain and there's no reason to suspect it is in any way damaging to the production of mass produced beef for the mass market (e.g. burgers).

And yes we do seek out grass fed beef, if "we" can afford it, here in Texas especially.

Next week: chlorinated chicken.

7. ChubbyFingers

ChubbyFingers Tele-Holic

and, of course, the only way a self-respecting Frenchman out in les banlieues would cook a steak is on a car-becue :)

8. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

That is borderline disrespectful but i don't really care. You guys have your fair share of idjits as well ... ;)

9. Rusty Spanner

Rusty Spanner Tele-Meister

ChubbyFingers, yes of course I remember the BSE and horsemeat scandals. Dark days for British food production.

However my question did not relate to that, merely to the preferences and opinions of US steak connoisseurs, of which there appear to be many on this thread.
    It was asked in a spirit of genuine enquiry, not intended to demean or insult anyone.

You appear to be a little defensive.
    If you would care to debate the relative merits of US vs UK food production, I would be happy to do so via personal communication, although that was not in any way the intention of my posts.

And you may find that by remaining civil, we both learn something about our different cultures. If you behave in an antagonistic and unpleasant manner, I'm sure neither of us will learn anything.

Regards,
    Pete.

notmyusualuserid and stevemc like this.
  10. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

Grass fed is superior and it is definitely sought out in the US. Since I cut down on red meat and do not eat steak all that often (maybe once or twice every couple of months), I get high quality Prime grass fed steaks.

Surprised so many folks seem to prefer extremely rare steak. I don't mind rare or even raw meat -- I love beef tartare -- but in those instances the beef is cut very thin or in small dices and is heavily flavored with other seasonings. For a large cut of meat like a steak, I think beef needs to be cooked to at least medium rare to better release the flavor in the fat marbling. Properly cooked medium rare steak develops a roasty/carmelized flavor in the fat that is hard to get in a rare preparation.

stevemc likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.