1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Steak

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by schmee, Jul 10, 2020.

1. kcarlos

kcarlos TDPRI Member

I subsist largely on steak, so firing up the weber all the time would get old. This is usually how I cook mine. Medium rare. Easy and delicious.

Catatafish likes this.
  2. ChubbyFingers

ChubbyFingers Tele-Holic

I was a department manager for a French pipeline construction contractor for a year. In Paris. Well, Nanterre / La Defence, but close enough.

35 hour maximum week, no overtime allowed, typically 6 weeks paid vacation plus about 15 or 16 public holidays a year, maternity leave, paternity leave, unlimited sick pay...

US equivalent worked 40 hours a week plus overtime, got 3 weeks paid vacation or sick pay and 8 public holidays. Maternity pay not sure, back then it depended on employer. Paternity pay? You have got to be f'in joking!

posttoastie and kcarlos like this.
  3. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

Wife was at the grocery this morning. She came back with a pair of very nice porterhouse offerings. My son and I are the only meat eaters in the house, so they were all for us. I fired up the charcoal grill and ruined his, per his request. He likes them “medium”. Mine went on when his was almost done and was still mooing when I bit into it.

My steak philosophy is that if the porch light gets left on, and the cow walks through the front yard, it’s cooked just right.

4. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Holic

Umm, where did you find that info? I guess I wasn't included in the survey!

5. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Holic

Oh man! I wish I could find a shop around here that sells dry-aged beef. I have paid $46/lb for a good ribeye largest ribeye I have cooked was over 17 lbs. I fed a lot of friends that night.And I also brought a 15 lb ribeye.I fed over 50 people at my workplace, Took me 3 days to prep it all.

6. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Holic

Wow.It's nice to know others are educated too.:)

7. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Holic

I read an newspaper report that a French citizen sued his employer over a vacation. He was sick during that week. He sued in court and won!

8. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Holic

Now I know what's for dinner! Going to get a nice rib roast and smoke it tomorrow. Twice-baked spuds and some veggies.

9. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Holic

I took 3 classes featuring a master butcher. It is his opinion that there are 3 meat ratings. Prime, Choice, and the other is road-kill.

10. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I love steak. I just bought a new Weber gas grill for the condo.

It’s weird that corn prices are very low right now but beef prices are high.

Corn is beef.

11. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

Thai is beautiful and weird all at the same time
    I’m suddenly craving right now at 6:39am

eclecticsynergy and drf64 like this.
  12. ChubbyFingers

ChubbyFingers Tele-Holic

So do the math.

French guy gets 30 days vacation plus 15 public holidays, plus say another week of sick days. That's ten weeks paid time off. The 42 weeks a year he does work he only works 35 hours a week. So that's 42 x 35 = 1520 hours work a year.

Now take the average American. To keep the math easy let's say he gets a generous (by American standards) 3 weeks paid vacation, 8 public holidays and 2 swing days, e.g. for when holidays fall on a Thursday and the boss decides not to open on the Friday. Note the typical American doesn't get paid sick time. So the American gets a total of five weeks paid time off and works 47 x 40 hour weeks. That's 1,880 hours a year, about 20% more than the French guy.

13. ChubbyFingers

ChubbyFingers Tele-Holic

It's been the principle for a long time that if you fall sick on vacation you get extra time off in lieu, but in the UK you usually needed a doctor's note to verify you were sick.

14. ChubbyFingers

ChubbyFingers Tele-Holic

BTW Norwegian offshore oil workers went to court and won the right to watch adult movies while at work! Watching people "on the job" while on the job!

15. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

Cool story. National Enquirer?

He wouldn't need to sue. EU law allows leave days to be retaken if you're ill during them.

https://www.personneltoday.com/hr/employees-sick-while-on-annual-leave-can-retake-time-off/

The company I work for has always allowed leave days to be retaken if illness occurs, on production of a medical certificate.

stevemc likes this.
  16. djh22

djh22 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Neighbors and I bought 2 steers from local 4H kids. Last night we had a family birthday celebration and broke-in a new grill with 3 t-bones (1 1/2" thick) and a London broil.

17. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

As coluche would say, these days there are not so many jobs, i would rather leave those to people who enjoy working.

18. Rusty Spanner

Rusty Spanner Tele-Meister

No offence chaps, but much of the steak I've eaten in the US (and only in restaurants) has been of the tasteless, corn fed variety.

I assume the good stuff you're talking about is grass fed beef from proper butchers/farmers?

19. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Poster Extraordinaire

OK, we've heard from the steak snob. Now, where's that vegan?

yojimbo and drf64 like this.
  20. ChubbyFingers

ChubbyFingers Tele-Holic

There's a heck of a difference between some washed out, frozen, thawed, refrozen, rethawed "steak" (usually cow meat) you get in a Denny's or a chain restaurant and one you get from a half decent steakhouse. When you get up to the point where the steak costs more than $50 you're really into the high end stuff. At one place I asked the waiter "this wagyu stuff from Japan, does the steer come on its own private Learjet or something?"

Anyway. "Have you been to a Harvester before?"

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.