1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Steak

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by schmee, Jul 10, 2020.

1. posttoastie

posttoastie Tele-Afflicted

I need bacon wrapped around a Filet.

rangercaster likes this.
  2. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

For dietary reasons I don't eat much red meat anymore, but I have two steak techniques I love.

Liberally season steak with salt & pepper about 1 hour before cooking and let it sit out at room temperature. Hard sear in a blazing hot cast iron skillet, add butter + herbs, finish in a hot oven basting frequently with the butter. Cover and let rest a solid 10 minutes before slicing. I like it a hot medium rare, pushing medium.

When I've got a lot of other stuff going on in the oven and kitchen, I'll do steaks sous vide. Start the same way, do a fast hard sear, seal in a plastic bag with butter herbs and garlic, then cook SV to desired temperature (around 135 or so for MR) for 60-90 minutes. Finish with a fast sear in a blazing hot cast iron skillet but do not let it rest (there's no carryover cooking with SV). The technique is different, but the final result is almost identical.

I used to grill my steaks but don't anymore. The sear is nowhere near as good as it is with a cast iron skillet, and steaks on a grill are never as juicy as when I do them in a cast iron skillet or SV.

Paul G., yojimbo, mfguitar and 2 others like this.
  3. orangeblossom

orangeblossom Friend of Leo's

What a coincidence that’s what we’re having for dinner. T-bones medium rare. The price of beef is thru the roof around here.

4. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

We've had roast and/or steak almost every week now. I had a baking steel made for the wife, she's using a high heat method and a new sous vide [same response from me]. Where we used to only go for a ribeye, the wife can now prepare a variety of cuts just as good, amazing. And she's figured out how to make succulent ribs too - but they aren't as good as from a true pit, with Hickory of course. Its been so much fun, and so successful, we've only used the grill a couple times.

PS - just saw someone else referenced sous vide! Fancy...

Hey_you and Lawdawg like this.
  5. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

More is better. My understanding of French food is that there are small quantities of a lot of things rather than large quantities of a few things. We have work to do, we can't spend all day eating.

Catatafish and jhundt like this.
  6. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I think you're just milking this...

7. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Poster Extraordinaire

I went there many times in the '80s and '90s. The steaks were excellent and their "ranch beans" were awesome. I enjoyed those almost as much as the steaks.

Mrbob135 likes this.
  8. Drew617

Drew617 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Ah, yeah. Don't think I've ordered a 22oz filet in my life so wasn't thinking that way. Let me adjust: I'd never do that to a petite filet. :)

LutherBurger likes this.
  9. 5ofeight

5ofeight Tele-Holic

God, i would love to be able to eat a stake, had a mouth op over a year ago and not had a stake since, rare with lashings of sweet onions...oh ffs, life is no fair.

10. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

Admittedly I was an early adopter of sous vide (10+ years) but at the end of the day it's just another useful cooking technique to have available. It doesn't replace my grill, or cast iron skillet, or dutch oven, but there are things I can do sous vide that I can't do otherwise. If you haven't already tried it, a couple of great sous vide things to do are butter poached sous vide lobster, olive oil cooked potatoes, and 48 hour medium rare beef short ribs. Melt in your mouth medium rare short ribs alone justify getting a sous vide rig.

11. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Poster Extraordinaire

I could never finish it there, so I always left with a doggy bag. The leftover meat was delicious the next day, too. Man, I miss that place.

rangercaster likes this.
  12. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

so, I guess you mean that Americans work, and the French do not? based on some 'understanding' of French food?:oops::rolleyes::cry:o_O:lol:

I don't know about small quantities of a lot of things. But I know that you can experience some mighty fine food in France!

We were at a little local restaurant in Spain, that was known for its grilled meats. A young couple with a child came in and sat down. The young man was beaming, with an ear-to-ear smile. The mood at the table was bright and happy. And the waiter brought their food... for him, a steak the size of a sofa cushion!! I have honestly never seen a steak like that. It must have been a special event indeed! It was a pleasure to watch him, because he had so much pleasure trying to eat this steak, and his family (and the waiters, and the staff, and all the guests including us) had so much pleasure watching him eat it, and cajoling him to finish the whole thing...

Sometimes too much is the right amount!

yojimbo, kcarlos and getbent like this.
  13. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

That is what you see on tv. I have never eaten stuffs you are describing, probably because they happen in high end restaurants, and they are expensive.

notmyusualuserid likes this.
  14. WalthamMoosical

WalthamMoosical Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Surprise ending to your story! Mine like this always end "and then I woke up."

ale.istotle and LutherBurger like this.
  15. ChubbyFingers

ChubbyFingers Tele-Holic

My father in law has a 250 acre ranch where he rears 50 or so beef cattle a year. All grass fed. We get our steaks free.

Q: How do you like your steak?
    A: Take off the horns, wipe its ass and that'll do fine.

16. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

First off, let me say that yes Americans work and French do not. Its not just more jingoism from the ugly American talking here, it's actual science. (This is NPR so you are required by law to believe all of it, unquestioningly):

https://www.wmra.org/post/american-work-ethic-french-perspective#stream/0

In terms of French eating. Traditionally it seems to be a big deal that consists of several small and simple ideas. Cheese is critically important and an after dinner drink too. I grabbed this article because I can't find the segment in one of Michael Pollen's excellent documentaries that touched on French dietary habits:

https://oureverydaylife.com/the-parts-of-a-traditional-french-meal-12511123.html

If you can find Pollen's excellent work, please do. The guy changed the way I look at food forever. There's some amazing information there and he touches on the French Paradox, something we could all benefit from studying.

kcarlos likes this.
  17. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

I once had a questionable steak ...

It was very rare ... it still had marks from where the jockey had beaten it earlier that day ...

18. TheDams

TheDams Tele-Holic

I had my share of really good steak in France, but since I moved in the US, I am always amazed (well, more in a shocking way) by the size of the steaks here.
    (When we use to go out at restaurants, we always got appetizer-main course-dessert... here, in 12 years, the number of times we ordered dessert can be counted on 2 hands)

19. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

Being born in Texas, my wife says "If it is burnt, it is almost done" I think she would butterfly a flank steak.

20. TheDams

TheDams Tele-Holic

JuneauMike and notmyusualuserid like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.