1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Steak

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by schmee, Jul 10, 2020.

1. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

We have steak about once every couple weeks...kinda run back and forth between Ribeye and NY Strip. Grilled, sometimes nekkid (EVOO, garlic salt, pepper) and sometimes dressed (Montreal Steak seasoning). Pink in the middle, nice char on the outside. Hard to beat a Weber kettle grill.

There is something about the new oven (Well, new to us. We bought it out of a foreclosure sale back in 2015 along with a matching fridge and dishwasher. We didn't actually start using it until we moved in, back in March 2020) that makes positively the best baked potatoes ever. I've been baking potatoes the same way since I was a kid, nothing's changed. Standard Russet potatoes. Wash 'em, poke 'em with a fork, rub 'em with EVOO, salt the tops with a pinch of kosher. 425F for 60min. I've just never had them come out fluffier or better tasting. Maybe it is a retirement thing... :cool:

Ricky D. likes this.
  2. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

If they don't at least attempt to get away when I start cuttin' on 'em they're probably too done for me. :D

3. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

steak? Yes, please. Cooked outdoor on the grill. Medium rare. Prefer smaller sizes, not too thick, not too thin, not too often. Savor each bite. Hey, that's good. Cold beer...

Toto'sDad and brookdalebill like this.
  4. Catatafish

Catatafish TDPRI Member

Kansas City Strip for me. I like gnawing on that bone for 20 minutes when I'm done. Lately I've been searing them on a hot iron skillet and into the oven until Medium. Then a knob of butter or blue cheese on top. Too lazy to jack around with that Weber any more.

kcarlos and Toto'sDad like this.
  5. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

It's what's for Dinner.

6. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

What is Pittsburg style?

yojimbo and Steerforth like this.
  7. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

sad, but true. In the USA, it's all about how big the steak is. In France there is more attention to the quality of the meal.

8. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Sir, I'm going to have to ask you to step away from the oven. You are being charged with felonious mutilation of a beef steak.

[​IMG]

9. Drew617

Drew617 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

For some reason I feel it's been harder to get a steak cooked Pittsburgh-style, particularly at the "fine" chain steakhouses - Capital, Ruth's Chris etc. - who really should be able to do it. I assume that's down to expansion, maintaining a consistent experience, chefs probably taking direction from a heirarchy of other chefs, the server not understanding what I'm asking for... I dunno. Can still get it at a few independent places I can think of, and I'd rather give them my business anyway.

While I wouldn't do that to a filet, a fatty NY strip or similar done Pittsburgh-style is heaven.

10. LetItGrowTone

LetItGrowTone Tele-Meister

Just ribeye medium rare, and mushrooms cooked in butter. No sauce, no other sides.

11. Despres

Despres Tele-Afflicted

I probably eat more beef than I should, but there are two excellent butcher shops within 1/4 mile of my house, so what am I gonna do, eat vegetables?

As a side, we will often mix roasted green chilis (hot but not super hot) with raw garlic and salt, like a relish of sorts.

One of the shops I like specializes in dry-aged beef - the ribeyes are fantastic, but they have a dry-aged top sirloin that is most flavorful and a bit cheaper, so we get that more often. Ribeye should be rare, the sirloin is better at medium rare.

When I was younger, I would get a whole ribeye for myself - these days I'll get one and cut it up for my son, my wife and I to split.

rangercaster and SASouth like this.
  12. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

Essentially, it means very charred on the outside and very rare on the inside. I think there may be some specific spices that they use, too. My uncle used to order steaks that way.

as5431, rangercaster and dkmw like this.
  13. ale.istotle

ale.istotle Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

There's a place in Philly that does a ribeye sampler. Three six-ounce ribeyes. Grass Fed, Grain Finished and 21 day aged.

That's right - a flight of steaks.

Fantastic quality meat. The grass-fed was my preference. I fell asleep shortly after.

yojimbo, mfguitar and rangercaster like this.
  14. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

It depends on where you buy it really. But once you have found the good butcher who sells quality, you stick to it.

kcarlos likes this.
  15. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Poster Extraordinaire

There's an "h" at the end, because it refers to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

It means the steak is charred outside and rare inside, as if it had been cooked for a very short time on a VERY hot surface, like the ones you might find in a steel mill. Some people call it "black and blue".

Nightclub Dwight and yojimbo like this.
  16. Mrbob135

Mrbob135 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I remember it like it was yesterday, but it was in July of 2008. A filet from Cattlemans Steak House at Indian Cliffs Ranch. Best steak I ever ate.

LutherBurger likes this.
  17. marshman

marshman Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Huge steak fan in Chester county--where is that? Missus marshman owes me a birthday dinner!

18. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Very tender grilled rib eye, rare, perfectly done, sweet potatoes and spinach for dinner at work last night. Can't beat firehouse meals.

19. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Pass on the location please.

ale.istotle likes this.
  20. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Poster Extraordinaire

When the cut of filet is about 3.5" to 4" thick, like these were, there's no danger of wrecking the meat. The outer, cooked part is only about 1/4" deep, and the rest is rare/raw goodness.

David Barnett and Drew617 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.