Stay-In-Tune Bridge

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by KenH, Jun 22, 2012.

1. KenH

KenH Tele-Holic

I've seen these bridges in magazines but I don't think they're available to the general public yet. I know most won't give up their 3-saddle but an interesting concept.

Attached Files:

2. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

Read somewhere they work really well but are very difficult to set-up properly.

I usually don't care what my guitars look like as long as they play well but that bridge is pretty fugly.

Also appears to be useless for palm muting so that takes it off the table for me.

3. twiggymac

twiggymac Tele-Holic

if you just string up the guitar, tune it (from the bridge) and play you will be fine, until you bend. the bridge mechanically tunes each string (i forget how) so even when you bend it compensates. the only way to set it up is to tune it up (with the tuning pegs) until the string goes up in pitch, then tune down until it is just in tune. bends will work but if the strings sharpen over time (or flatten) you will either be out of tune or have non accurate bends.

not perfect by any means, but a cool concept.

4. old_picker

old_picker Tele-Afflicted

total waste of money
    if the guitar is set up right with quality hardware you will stay in tune good enough

5. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

Tried one once, didn't see the point of having such a bridge.

6. Verne Bunsen

Verne Bunsen Tele-Afflicted

Exactamundo. I've got two Teles with Bigsbys, and after the initial setup battles even THEY exhibit rock-like tuning stability. If your guitar won't stay in tune, there is a reason for it. Find and address it, and you won't need a fancy, fugly kajigger like that.

7. PinewoodRo

PinewoodRo Tele-Afflicted

I like tuning my guitar - it's a kind of mental preparation before playing. A bit of a ritual.

8. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Guess I'm a bit of a traditionalist. No matter what it may or may not do it looks kinda heavy and kinda ugly compared to a minimalist Tele bridge. None of mine seem to have much of a problem with tuning. They all hold up pretty good.

9. xcurrent

xcurrent TDPRI Member

KenH, They (Evertune) does sell to the general public. I own one that I waiting to stick in a Warmoth Telecaster body. Warmoth has the template and offers the route. Should have it in a few weeks. It will be another oddball build for me; basswood body, flame maple top, evertune bridge, P90 Kinman noiseless in the neck, Duncan real broadcaster in the bridge, Acme controls, 1 3/4" Afra neck Strat neck with ebony fingerboard and Sperzel tuners.

10. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Hmm. Turn the tuner pegs until the guitar goes up in pitch, then back it off.

I would have to learn to string tuners all over again, because my technique is ALWAYS to tune up from below. I would expect it to be stable otherwise.

This is very counterintuitive.

What issue with conventional guitars is this supposed to fix, precisely? Is this to help people who are often just clueless about being in tune? I don't get it.

11. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

The whole thing is basically a floating trem for each string. The pull of each string is counterbalanced by a spring. So the thing with turning the tuning peg: you can turn the tuning peg and the pitch won't change until the difference in tension is too much for the spring. And that's why the note won't immediately change pitch when you bend.
    Oh, and to instal it you have to router out an large trem cavity in the back of your guitar.
    In my opinion, a large, expensive inelegant solution to a minor issue.

12. MrAstro

MrAstro Tele-Afflicted

Looks like a solution in search of a problem to me.

13. bwattier

bwattier TDPRI Member

The ONLY benefit that I see to this system is that in the event of a broken string, the other 5 strings would not go out of tune. That's something I could get excited about.

With that being said, the downside is that you'll lose probably half a pound of wood out of your guitar in doing the necessary routs, you'll lose the ability to bend strings and have it sound right, you'll lose your ability to tune the guitar without having special tools on hand (a 2.5 mm hex key), and lastly, the thing just plain looks hideous (opinion, I know). Anyway, it doesn't seem like it's worth going for even if it was cheap, and it's not ($330 on the website).

Just my two cents...

14. Frenster

Frenster TDPRI Member

I've installed dozens of these, many of them for high profile touring professionals and all I've heard from them are high praises and "thangawd someone finally came up with this". Let me just ask how much time you spend tuning when recording? I've installed a slew of these for high profile producers, and they bring me more guitars to install them on. If you've seen Sting or Faith Hill or Nickelback or Black Eyed Peas lately, you've seen them on stage.

I'll be glad to answer any questions you have about it. I recommend you don't poo poo things you haven't tried.

If you haven't tried one, you simply don't know what you're missing.

thud likes this.
  15. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

Not to discredit your input, but to put it in perspective; you have posted here 16 times and 12 of those where on the evertune bridge.

16. Verne Bunsen

Verne Bunsen Tele-Afflicted

Well if Nickleback Guy uses it, that's reason enough for me to steer clear, hahah! Maybe the thing is great, I don't know, but I don't see one on Jeff Beck or David Gilmour or Jimmy Pages guitars yet somehow they manage to stay in tune and I have a lot more respect for those guys as guitar players than Faith Hills guitarist. I'm still in the "great solution for a non-existent problem" camp. It can be a lot of work and take a lot of attention to detail, but identifying and remedying setup issues will render a guitar stable, and without all that fugly hardware. That's my two cents anyhow!

17. Frenster

Frenster TDPRI Member

Again, don't poo poo what you have not tried. You like Satriani? Steve Stevens? Wayne Kramer? Clint Black? Scott Ian? James Burton? There are quite a few users. Beck and Gilmour use whammies so the Evertune wouldn't be their thing. I'll BET if Page tried one, he'd love it. I haven't personally met anyone who's tried it who thinks it isn't incredible.

If you played one, I'd bet you ten bucks you'd like it. As far as the nonexistent problem goes, I know how much time I've spent tuning when recording. With the Evertune, it's simply always in tune, hence, no more tuning in the studio.

But as usual, all the people who haven't tried it talk smack about it.

18. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

I tried it, didn't like it.

19. Frenster

Frenster TDPRI Member

You're the first I've heard of. What bothered you about it?

20. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

Maybe you should read what AJ posted just yesterday (at 5:23am)? :eek:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.