Static on bridge PUP

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by hollowman, Jul 23, 2019.

1. hollowman

hollowman Friend of Leo's

I noticed some static sounds coming thru my amp when I was practicing tonight alone, it was only on the bridge pup on the Hi input on my Maz 18. So i started to troubleshoot, first the connections on the board, then the cables, then the speaker cable to the cab. Messed with the inputs on the amp, the bridge pickup, knobs on the amp and guitar...

Finally i found that the static occurs when on the bridge pickup, when I brush or anchor my fingers against the pick guard under the bridge, i mean, physically touch the pick guard. If i rub the guard there, it literally just statics through the amp.

I have a 93 MIJ Tele Custom, and the PUPS are Lollars and it has been re-wired and potted with the new PUPS about 15 years ago. I know the route and wiring are right there under the guard, but what could be causing this static to occur? I haven't talked to my tech yet, I'm guessing it is a shielding or wiring issue, but never had this happen or notice it before... Ideas?

2. Verne Bunsen

Verne Bunsen Tele-Holic

Before you get into more invasive procedures, try rubbing the pickguard down with a dryer sheet. I've had that clean up a noisy static charge before.

hollowman likes this.
  3. jackal

jackal Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

If the dryer sheet helps, you can do a permanent fix by shielding the pickguard with copper tape and connecting the tape to guitar ground ie: volume pot.

hollowman likes this.
  4. hollowman

hollowman Friend of Leo's

interesting, i will try the dryer sheet thing, but it was very specific to one area that causes the static so not real hopeful this will work!

looks like a trip to the shop may be forth coming...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.