1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

static from Champ 600

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by MikeBee, Apr 10, 2021.

1. MikeBee

MikeBee TDPRI Member

Hi all, I have a Fender Champ 600. Recently it started making a staticky noise. Sounds like the white noise of a TV when the channel quit broadcasting at night. It is intermittent. The volume of the static is low and doesn't change regardless of amp or guitar settings. I have turned on/off many of the lights in the house with no change. Any ideas what I should be looking for??
    Thanks, MikeB

2. kbold

kbold Friend of Leo's

3. MikeBee

MikeBee TDPRI Member

Thanks for the link. Amp makes noise with guitar not plugged in also.

4. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

Clean the tube pins/sockets.
    Try different tubes.

MikeBee likes this.
  5. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Holic

Mine had the same thing--tried different tubes, no dice. On a lark, I did the tone stack and NFB bypass mod and it went away. Not a tech, so I don't know what might have gone bad further down the signal path, but it worked.

MikeBee likes this.
  6. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

I can speculate that the *fix* @Willie Johnson did to his champ originated as a bad solder joint.

If changing tubes and cleaning the pins/sockets does not solve your issue ime you could have a bad solder joint or possibly a bad resistor. Basically all of the speculation revolves around a bad connection after the volume control.

MikeBee and Willie Johnson like this.
  7. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Holic

Amp sounds really great now--added a Jenson Mod speaker, put in Fender grille cloth, and altered/cut down the back panel.

MikeBee likes this.
  8. fraser

fraser Tele-Afflicted

Long shot here,
    And it seems youve solved the problem.
    But mine came with sheilding tape, on the underside of the top.
    The tape overlapped on the sides some.
    I kept hearing a slight static kind of thing happening,
    I dont recall how i tracked it down, but somehow that sheilding was the problem.
    Maybe making intermittent contact with part of the chassis, i dont know.
    I tried tightening bolts, i tried properly grounding it to the chassis, i even tried taping it firmly in place, not that it was loose.

this was before id done any mods, it was brand new.

in the end i just yanked it out, problem solved.
    A mystery not worth the time spent chasing, to me.

MikeBee likes this.
  9. MikeBee

MikeBee TDPRI Member

So I pulled the chassis out for a look. The blue circle shows a spacer of some type. It is the same on 3 of 4 mounting bolts. The blue arrow shows the spacer missing. The chassis has warped a little as a result. Should it be that way? Are the laminations supposed to be grounded to the chassis? It just doesn't look right. The mounting nuts/bolts all show the paint blobs not broken, must have left the factory that way.

I think the output transformer has been rubbing slightly on the larger speaker, so it will get moved.

Visually, I saw no solder joint problems.

I was a bit paranoid of residual voltage in the caps. Found ~ 15 volts in the system and used a resistor to bleed them down to nothing. I was expecting a lot more voltage.

I have new tubes ordered. Will move the OT farther from the speaker and main transformer. This also has the shielding tape, I will play with that later if I get nowhere.
    upload_2021-4-11_16-38-27.png

10. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

That does seem odd, but I wouldn't expect that to make static. Static is usually a tube or resistor issue.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.