1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Static , diagnosis help please

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by brianbanjos, Dec 20, 2010.

1. brianbanjos

brianbanjos TDPRI Member

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I won't be doing the repair work myself but I'd like to be have an idea of what may be the problem prior to bringing my Tele in for service. It's a 2000 MIM standard with all stock parts which I picked up used. It appears not to have been the victim of any misguided DIY efforts from previous owners.

Once the guitar is warmed up a bit I get static and poping sounds when my hand or pick brushes the pick guard. I can tap the pick guard and make it happen.

For process of eliminating the amp or cable I've tried:
    1) A different amp
    2) A different cable
    3) If I play over the fretboard or back near the bridge there's no static.
    4) I removed the pick guard and control plate to see if there was anything obviously wrong like a broken or weak looking connection or wire, and found nothing I could visually detect.
    5) The guitar has pretty good tone, both pickups are working, the volume and tone knobs function apparently fine. The sound doesn't "cut out" when the static happens.
    6) Again, it doesn't happen when the guitar is stone cold but starts in fairly short order once it's been played so there is some indication of a heat induced short or problem. (Could be way off base here, I'm assuming that there is enough heat in the circuit that there could be a heat based short, like what would happen in an ignition coil on an old car I once had..)

The problem is more of a nuisance than anything but it's such a nice guitar I'd like to keep it in tip top playing condition and not let little things go so they become big things later on... Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. brianbanjos

brianbanjos TDPRI Member

I want to add that it doesn't matter what pickup or combination of pickups is chosen. I still get the static with only the bridge pickup selected.

3. PaulCreedy

PaulCreedy Tele-Meister

I've fixed a crackle before by attaching self-adhesive copper sheet to the back of the plate underneath where I was getting the noise, and connecting that to earth by running some more copper sheet between the screws that hold down the pickguard and the control plate.

I noticed some crackle on one of mine this morning so I might be doing it again later today :D

4. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

save yourself some money on a Tech job.

Rub the pickguard down with a anti-static dryer sheet (like "Bounce")

make sure to use the unscented ones

it probably is static electricity and keep your room humility @ apx. 50%

5. brianbanjos

brianbanjos TDPRI Member

Thanks! I keep it well humidified in the it's case but we do heat with forced air and wood. Static makes perfect sense. I'll try the dryer sheet and this will force me to replace the dead humidifier.

6. mellecaster

mellecaster Former Member

There's your Problem....get that room Humidifier fixed, or buy a New one...for your own Health if nothing else.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.