Statesboro Blues - - - no, not THAT one...

schmee

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Absolutely!! I have yet to see him live... Don't know if he still tours at all.
I think he does. I saw him live at a smallish venue in Seattle years ago. Just a trio I think. I think I saw him advertised there in this year? Jazz Alley.

John Owen

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
I think he does. I saw him live at a smallish venue in Seattle years ago. Just a trio I think. I think I saw him advertised there in this year? Jazz Alley.
Yes - you did see him advertised at Jazz Alley. Taj and his band, plus Rob Ickes and Trey Hensley were all there from Nov 22 to Dec 1. I'm sure it was great but I was too pathetic to go down there. Anyway - Taj is definitely still out there doing it.

black_doug

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
DB came to Toronto in 2015 where I went to hear him at Hugh’s Room. I was hoping he would have a band with him but he did a solo show with his Martin. For his next appearance there a few years later he brought his band but I couldn’t go unfortunately.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter

One of my favorite venues in my previous life...

Saw David Bromberg do this live in Rochester, NY- 1979 - kind of '1st date' with my ( still!!) wife

Heck of a band back in the day,
and David was equally strong solo. Just one of the best musicians we've ever heard

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Always like Taj on that one. Just so sweet and mellow on the slide.:

That's Jesse Ed Davis on slide ( I believe)
And Duane, listening to this version influenced what he would play with The Allmans

Jesse Ed Davis is IMO, responsible for 3 great guitar moments:

- the above Statesboro Blues playing

- the slide guitar on Bob Dylan's " Watching The River Flow

- the fantabulous guitar solo on " Doctor, My Eyes

Last edited:

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
Saw David Bromberg do this live in Rochester, NY- 1979 - kind of '1st date' with my ( still!!) wife

Heck of a band back in the day,
and David was equally strong solo. Just one of the best musicians we've ever heard

Not only a great musician, but a great performer. Saw him about a dozen times and always great shows. His flatpicking chops are not what they were, but he still commands attention on stage.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Not only a great musician, but a great performer. Saw him about a dozen times and always great shows. His flatpicking chops are not what they were, but he still commands attention on stage.

David just flat out said in recent interviews that he won't do the fast bluegrass picking anymore- because he can't.

It must be painful to admit that, when you know how damn good you were...

I live in NoVa and someday would love to go to his violin/music shop in Delaware and just meet him.

Shake his hand and just let him know how much of what I play, came from picking up bits and pieces of his acoustic and electric blues playing and flatpicking. Not nearly as good, duh, but I know where it came from.

Heck of a performer, charismatic

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
David just flat out said in recent interviews that he won't do the fast bluegrass picking anymore- because he can't.

It must be painful to admit that, when you know how damn good you were...

I live in NoVa and someday would love to go to his violin/music shop in Delaware and just meet him.

Shake his hand and just let him know how much of what I play, came from picking up bits and pieces of his acoustic and electric blues playing and flatpicking. Not nearly as good, duh, but I know where it came from.

Heck of a performer, charismatic

I encourage you to get to his shop to meet him. I have never been there, but met him about 40 years ago at an after-show party and have talked to him before or after shows a couple times since. A very nice man with a wealth of knowledge in his head, heart, and fingers.