Starting to Learn Bass

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by tele-rain, Jun 6, 2020.

1. tele-rain

tele-rain Friend of Leo's

I’ve been wanting to try out bass for a long while...finally pulled the trigger and got myself a Hofner Ignition series. I had been researching for months, more avidly in the last few weeks. Decided short scale is best for me...I’m a woman who is shortish and have shortish arms. I’m glad I made that decision because this 30in short scale is plenty long for me.

I am absolutely loving this bass...granted I am no expert to know if it’d got any real problems. The edge of the neck is smooth, no rough frets. I was able to tune it easily. I haven’t plugged in yet because my amp isn't coming until Tuesday. I’ve heard you can use a guitar amp, but carefully so as not to blow it out. I don’t want to chance that, I’m fine with going at it unplugged for a few days. I’ve been signed up to Fender Play for the 3 month free thing, but now subscribed for a year and switched to the bass path. It’s been awesome getting a feel for it!

Here are some pics for anyone interested. Oh and stupid question...is that piece of paper under the bridge removable? I know there are plastic coverings over the pick-guard and pick ups. But I’m not sure what that piece is under the bridge...it’s not really paper, feels like cloth. I don’t wanna mess with it until I know what it is, hahah!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
    oceanblue, DonM, nojazzhere and 9 others like this.
  2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Fantastic!
    The world needs more bass players!

nojazzhere, frank a and tele-rain like this.
  3. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Holic

Nothing like the feeling when you start hitting the groove, enjoy

frank a and tele-rain like this.
  4. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I learned bass playing with a band from day one.... yikkes....

by reading the majors off the guitarists cheat sheet or by watching his chords on the neck...

eventually you think, Hey I know how this bassline should sound, I've heard this song hundreds of times just never studied the notes...

I can't sight read music, but I could easily play to bass tabs on the fly off the page....if it wasn't too busy note wise...

good luck with your new bass... :)

Controller, frank a and tele-rain like this.
  5. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

Looks like you have a floating bridge. It's held in place only by string tension. That white material under it is just for shipping. Loosen up your strings and get rid of it.

Very cool bass, I know you will have a lot of fun with it.

Preacher, nojazzhere and tele-rain like this.
  6. tele-rain

Yeah I’ve seen the term floating bridge all
    Over when researching the bass. I figured it was there for shipping because I don’t see it on any other pics, but wanted to be sure. Thanks for clarifying!!

I am having fun already, I’m tired but don’t want to go to sleep yet, hah!

Kevin Wolfe likes this.
  7. tele-rain

Awesome! I’ve had many “stupid” moments already. Like, the strings are tuned to E A D G. I never realized that’s the same as guitar without the B and high E strings...just lower register, or pitch is it? So I know where the notes are, although I wasn’t that great on the guitar with that, sometimes. I have to think and count it out. But I’ll get there. Notes on music sheets, I know that’s a whole different ballgame, the “left” hand in piano, and the notes below the middle C. I get the concept of that, just don’t know them that well. Again, yet! I’m taking my time with the fender lessons so far, just went through a few so far. It’s just basically showing finger positions and how to pluck the strings. Sometimes I get it nice and steady, other times it’s cleanly. But that happens on guitar ALL the time too, lol.

nojazzhere and Controller like this.
  8. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

Wow girl, that’s a cool looking machine! Straight from the Beatles era! I’d love to get my hands on one of them, and as an ex bass player (I’ve been a closet guitarist forever!) I’ve always wanted to try a short scale - just never got around to it back in the day.

Enjoy your new toy, and keep us posted with your progress. If where you live is anything like over here, bass players are much sought after! I could probably pick up a job tomorrow if I wanted it! Lol :p

tele-rain likes this.
  9. tele-rain

I can’t wait till I get it going good! I already feel like I learned a lot just from the few lessons on the app. It’s quick and super basic, but just what I need.

gimmeatele likes this.
  10. Tele22

Tele22 Tele-Meister

Good luck with the new bass!

If you have specific questions for bassists, you might want to check out the TalkBass forum:
    https://www.talkbass.com/

tele-rain likes this.
  11. tele-rain

Ah awesome!! I’ve seen that forum come up when searching things before. I’ll have to sign up and maybe find my tribe :cool:

frank a likes this.
  12. tele-rain

That’s funny, kind of the opposite of me! I wouldn’t say I am really a guitarist though, I’m still very much a novice because I would only try to learn on and off for years. But the last few I have gotten back full steam ahead, and the bass bug bit me a while ago. I couldn’t justify it because I have 3 guitars and figured I should just stick with that. But the urge took me over and I am glad I gave in! I’ll definitely share the first bit of substantial progress :D

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  13. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Afflicted

Hi.

In my mind, I’m a guitar person. But actually, sometimes when I’m playing bass, I wonder if in my heart I might not be a bass person. I find it a real joy, even when just thundering along on the root.

There’s a real, visceral power to bass, and a sublime kind of release when you get into a groove.

One of the really cool things about bass, and I’ve heard respected bass players and teachers say this too, is that while it can be an intricate, advanced and complex instrument, capable of accomplished and nuanced music, it’s probably like no other in that it lets you get up and running and able to contribute really fast.

Enjoy.

Pax/
    Dean

Denton and tele-rain like this.
  14. tele-rain

Thanks! I think for me, what started to get me interested in bass was because with what I learned on guitar, I noticed that I’m mostly locked into the rhythm guitar, and as an extension of that, I started to hear the bass more prominently. I love hearing lead guitar and ripping out solos, but I don’t think that’s me in terms of playing. So, we shall see where this journey leads!

Controller and TokyoPortrait like this.
  15. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Holic

Keep at you will get there in no time. :)

brookdalebill likes this.
  16. 68Telebass

68Telebass Tele-Afflicted

^^^
    Yup! Check out TalkBass...I’m there too-

Always came up when searching for answers, and usually found them!

that’s a great looking Hofner- another thing you might consider is flatwound strings...many threads on that!

What kind of amp are you getting?
    I have a Fender Rumble 40 and find it versatile, robust EQ and overdrive, extremely light, and has XLR out if you need to go into board or PA- I use it for small gigs/venues. And guitars sound great running through it as well!!

nojazzhere and tele-rain like this.
  17. tele-rain

I also got the Fender Rumble 40! I was trying to save some money and go with the 25, but I kept reading how the 40 was better sounding overall. So what’s a bit more money, lol.

This Hofner is already making me need to learn about things I never wanted to mess with, such as the floating bridge! I did take the piece of paper out last night and the bridge moved a bit. Now I’m trying to test the intonation and I Can’t tell if it’s good yet. Granted I didn’t know how it was before I took the paper out, I just tuned it and started to pluck around. Apparently the Hofner is a finicky piece of work and requires some personal tending to. So this will be good to sort of force myself to learn these very necessary skills.

elihu and 68Telebass like this.
  18. Skub

Skub Poster Extraordinaire

When my son emigrated to Oz I had to play bass on my own recordings and found I absolutely loved it. Locking with the kick drum brings a kind of freedom only the engine room guys know!

Lucky for me my lad left a load of bass guitars to choose from,I'm spoilt!

Enjoy the groove tele-rain.

68Telebass, tele-rain and gimmeatele like this.
  19. 68Telebass

68Telebass Tele-Afflicted

Yes, the Rumble 40 worth the extra ca$h!
    A buddy has the 25- it’s OK for practice, sounds OK and does get loud.
    The voicing buttons, 4-band EQ, and the foot switchable overdrive along with the XLR make the 40 a good amp to gig with as link as you’re not in a punk or metal type band!
    Our band here on the Rez (the Pinon Pickers- check us out on Facebook- Pinonpickersband.com) does have a drummer, and we do play a bit of Journey Rush, and REM. We also play some bluegrass and folk stuff and some originals, so the rumble 40 does OK.
    For outside block parties or anything needing a bit more- check out the Ampeg Micro CL 100watt mini stack- here is mine
    39B2DD28-9972-44C6-AE92-D36BB8A1AE74.jpeg
    so cute!!
    you will also want a preamp/DI box. You can even leave the amp at home with one of those!! Very inexpensive and serviceable one is the Behringer BDI-21. You can get SVT tone in a box that goes right to PA/board- or into the Rumble 40! It’s about $30- How can you not?? I also just ordered the Caline “Wine Cellar” preamp/DI box- same price, same circuit (I think) in a nicely graphicked metal enclosure- here is a pic of that- upload_2020-6-7_13-11-6.jpeg
    I also suggest going for flatwound strings- really gets you a “Bass” tone that roundwound strings can’t get- an inexpensive way to start would be a set of Fender short scale strings- again, UNDER $30...
    Welcome to the Deep End of the Pool!!!

tele-rain and Old Plank like this.
  20. frank a

frank a Tele-Meister

As mentioned before talkbass is a great site also no treble. Ari Capp is a great educator as well as Ed Friedland and Jeff Berlin.
    Stick to the root notes at first and go from there. Good luck.

tele-rain likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.