1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Starting a few Tele builds, need advice or opinions

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by DavidV, Jan 16, 2021.

1. DavidV

DavidV Tele-Meister

I'm setting up to do a small batch of 3 telecasters to speed up production a bit. Two are going to be yellow pine bodies with painted bodies, the other I was planning on using a one piece ash slab. Biggest problem with that is that the slab isn't quite wide enough on one side and initially I wanted to have a natural finish. I see a couple of options right now:

1. Run a circular saw down the middle and add a 3/4" board on edge with some sort of contrasting wood, maybe with alternating stripes. I could still finish it with clear lacquer and have it look good but I'd obviously lose out on that one-piece mojo :eek:

2: Risk it and cut it out as is and hope the round over takes off the bark that's showing, and if not hide it with a burst or other sort of finish trick. This seems like the cheesier option to me but maybe someone else disagrees.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They are all getting necks like I made on my last build thread. So a les paul neck tenon with threaded inserts, still 25.5" scale length though. If there's much interest I may do another build thread here for them too.

[​IMG]

Dereksys38 likes this.
  2. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Afflicted

Slide it to the right and put an arm bevel on it. Might as well do a belly cut while you're at it.

3. DavidV

DavidV Tele-Meister

Genius, how do I buy you a beer over the internet?

4. peterg

peterg Tele-Meister

Shouldn’t the face of the guitar be on the other side? In case the board cups the bridge with be on the ridge instead of the valley. That doesn’t help your board width dilemma but might might keep the guitar playable.

DavidV likes this.
  5. DavidV

DavidV Tele-Meister

Opps! I just cut it, taking the first reply's advice, so either it is left handed or we take a chance.

6. wadeeinkauf

wadeeinkauf Tele-Holic

I have done this many times. A small piece on each side completely covered by a burst. An addition this small can be covered on one side as well.

[​IMG]

On my last build.

8.jpg a.jpg c.jpg x.jpg

7. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Use the wood coming out of the waist area for the part that gets added on. Make sure the end grain is going in the same direction.

If that is northern ash, you may want to thinline it to keep it from being a 10 pound guitar. That would require a top or back preferable out of two pieces with the glue joint down the center. That would hide your two or three piece body below it too.

8. DavidV

DavidV Tele-Meister

I believe it is white ash based on the size and the bark. Green doesn't get that big and blue and black have tighter outer bark even on old trees. It was ironically cut and dried in Ash Grove, Mo 20 years ago. A strat I built from the same slab is pretty light but I'll make sure to weight it once it's routed.

9. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

You likely have enough wood that the round overs will dig out the bark. Or shift it and alter the body contour.

Otherwise, add strips down the center. I had this guitar that prior owners had chipped out the bridge pickup wider than the plate and pickguard could cover. So I inlaid walnut and maple strips and recut the pickup routes.

[​IMG]

10. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

I know it’s more work, and would take away from the one piece body mojo, but I think the option of adding a center strip of some kind of contrasting wood is going to be better. If your slab isn’t wide enough for your basic outline, even without round over or additional sanding work, it’s just going to look funky when you’re done. In which case, you’ll have wasted a perfectly good body trying to cut corners.

If you’re creative, and you choose your center wood carefully with regard to grain density and ability to accept a finish, I think you’ll have a good result in the end. And you’ll still be able to do a transparent finish.

DavidV likes this.
  11. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

I've done the same as suggested. Take some from the cutoffs and add to the edges. Proper jointing and it's barely noticeable. You don't have to add much.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.