1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Starting a 5F2-A build, capacitor questions

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by JoeSixPack74, May 3, 2009.

1. JoeSixPack74

JoeSixPack74 TDPRI Member

I have most of the parts to build one of these in my parts boxes except some of the caps. I have a question about 2 of the caps in the Fender schematics that have values but no voltage ratings. On the Tone pot there is a .005 uF cap with no voltage listed and the cap that goes between the tone and volume pots .0005 uF. I have found the .0005 uF cap available in 500v ceramic and the .005 uF cap available as a 250v ceramic. I figure those should work but would like it if someone double checks my figuring. The only other cap I cannot find is the 16 uF 450v, from reading other posts and other sites I am substituting 22 uF 450v in there place. I probably could do that for the 8 uF caps also and save a couple bucks.

It was also recommended going with a 12" speaker instead of a 10". Any thoughts on that?

Figure since I am building a Tele style guitar I should build the amp too. I have the Burnt Pinecaster thread in the build forum.

2. sjhusting

sjhusting Tele-Afflicted

The cap on the tone pot isn't seeing much voltage, so just about any cap will work, ceramic, mallories, ODs, whatever you want. You might not find a .005; you can use a .0047 and there will be no difference.

The 22uF will work fine. A 5Y3 is only rated for a 20uF, but it won't be a problem.

Remember that the Sovtek 5Y3 (the only current production 5Y3) isn't a real 5Y3, and will give you higher voltages than you might expect.

steven

3. FiddlinJim

FiddlinJim Tele-Holic

If you want to keep it as close to the original as possible, Antique Electronic Supply (tubesandmore.com) has 16uF caps readily available. On their site, follow Capacitors -> Electrolytics -> F&T Axial Lead and you'll find them. I've been using F&Ts for everything I build with no problems. They're made in Germany and are quite a big smaller than the huge Sprague Atoms.

They're also a great source for other things like silver mica capacitors for the low-value caps if you want an alternative to ceramic disk caps.

4. JoeSixPack74

JoeSixPack74 TDPRI Member

Thanks for reminding me of that site. I don't know how I forgot about it as I used to fool around with tube radios.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.