Starter skateboard recommendation?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Jupiter, Jun 20, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

My just-turning-13 daughter is saying she's interested in learning to skateboard. She wants a "plain" board so she can paint/decorate it herself.

I don't know how serious she is or if she will take to it really, so I don't want to spend much money on an experiment.

I'm looking at some that are about 30 bucks. They say "mini" and they are about 22".

She's petite, but after all she's still a middle school student. Is a 22" board too tiny for a teen?

Any thoughts or recommendations?

2. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

I think this may be the wrong demographic.

3. Jupiter

My just-turning-13 daughter is saying she's interested in learning to skateboard. She wants a "plain" board so she can paint/decorate it herself.

I don't know how serious she is or if she will take to it really, so I don't want to spend much money on an experiment.

I'm looking at some that are about 30 bucks. They say "mini" and they are about 22".

She's petite, but after all she's still a middle school student. Is a 22" board too tiny for a teen?

Any thoughts or recommendations?

4. Jupiter

dang, duplicate thread, how did I do that?

5. Jupiter

what? we got lotsa dads here! :)

telemnemonics likes this.
  6. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

Grand dads.

Edit.
    Sorry, I guess I'm feeling kinda old.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  7. brucerbc

brucerbc TDPRI Member

My opinion only: mini decks are kind of a novelty / special purpose setup and not a great beginner skateboard.

For someone just starting out I'd recommend a deck and wheelbase based roughly on their height and shoe size. If they're experienced, then you can start to factor in ability level and intended use. Many online shops have fit guides that factor these in (e.g. https://www.warehouseskateboards.com/blog/2017/11/22/size-skateboard-need/)

For safety and likelihood of enjoyment, I'd personally suggest a deck that's around 7.5" wide with an axle width that matches. The length will vary among boards / manufacturers, but most will range from 28"-31".

As far as decorating it herself, most skate shops stock plain "shop decks" that might work? Note though that - for safety - the top needs grip tape for traction. If the base already has a graphic, then maybe she can express herself with stickers rather than paint?

Price is the tougher issue. Honestly, I think you're likely looking at more like $70-80 for something safe and rideable. This includes wheels and bearings that freely roll and will stand up to some use, bushings that aren't too soft or rigid and trucks (wheel hanger and axle) and a deck that are robust and not too heavy.

Last things, please make sure that your daughter ALWAYS hears a helmet ... and ideally wrist guards to start AND that she learns balance and stopping on flat ground before tackling anything more ambitious:

Hope this helps!

8. Jupiter

good stuff; thanks! We pretty definitely won't be getting into the 70-80 buck range unless I have some evidence that she's going to really get into it, though. If the deck is decent I guess I can upgrade the wheels and/or trucks at some point.

9. Guran

Guran Friend of Leo's

I think you may be wrong. ;)

That is a way to make pretty sure that she doesn't get into it. ;)

In my opinion, as a skater for 40 years and as a dad of two girls, 10 and 12, the wheels on el-cheapo skateboards are almost always in the sub-crap category. Just plain unridable. The exception in later years has been the wheels on some very cheap $25 longboards and some of the Pennyboard type. In both those cases the wheels are pretty different from what you (usually) put on a regular popsicle stick type of board.

About size, I agree with brucerbc that you should go for a smallish full size board. Nothing much shorter than 30", unless she is very petit. Then maybe 28" might work.

10. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

ah, the days of fence palings and roller skate wheels.... and bitumen.... those were the days,, NOT...:lol:

I wish we had those wider modern boards back then....;)

Whatizitman likes this.
  11. Jupiter

That's a risk we are gonna have to take I guess... :p

Actually, there's been an update, and it seems like her friends are getting together to buy her one that's more like 60 bucks.

Probably I'm gonna be spending my money on a helmet and wrist guards.... :rolleyes:

12. tvas22

tvas22 TDPRI Member

I'd consider trying to pick up a full set up second hand - you could always sand off the graphics easily enough.

You could also introduce her to Nora Vasconcellos if she's not already familiar, she's really good and does interesting things with her griptape:

(Some NSFW language on the vid though as a disclaimer)

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  13. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

As an 70's-80's skater I'd invest $80 on a board for my daughter/granddaughter. Anything to keep em occupied & off the phones.

14. Bluey

Bluey Tele-Meister

Yep. The O'l Surfer Sams.
    A day on one of them was fun, some of mums Mercurochrome & back out the next day for more fun.

15. Jupiter

I am old enough to remember making skateboards out of old metal-wheeled skates, but I also remember the late 70s when urethane wheels happened. There was a brand of boards that was really big then...Infinity, was it? I didn’t have one, but my friend did...

16. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nora shreds. Absolutely . And there are a ton of really ripping female skaters right now.

Fuel the stoke.

8A3A6896-DADF-4871-A23B-39B45DDF7888.jpeg

17. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

Take her to a decent skate shop, let her look around, and engage the staff. They know what will suit her best so that she learns to enjoy the hobby & not walk away with a broken elbow the 1st day.

18. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

This is my moment!

Think of a skateboard like you would a guitar: Would a $30 Target guitar be something you want to learn on? It's definitely worth going to a proper skateboard shop, especially for your first skateboard, to pick up and feel all of the parts. I used to sell skateboards for a living, and one thing that I always tried to tell my customers was that the most important thing is that you enjoy the board: If you don't like it, you're not going to ride it...and if you're not going to ride it, you've just wasted the money, be it $30 or $300. Having said all that, a blank or shop deck should run about $30; trucks, wheels, and bearings should be somewhere in that neighborhood of $75-100 depending on what you're buying; so you're looking at a total expenditure of between $100 and $120(ish).

Is she interested in learning to do tricks, and get into the more aggressive, acrobatic aspect? Or, is she just looking to cruise? IF she's just looking to cruise, a 22" Penny (or Penny-style mini cruiser) will do just fine. But, if she's looking to do some tricks, she'll likely want something longer and wider (31" x 8" or so) for added control.

scelestus and Mike Eskimo like this.
  19. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

I've seen you build some guitars. Build a skateboard!

Get some trucks and cut out plywood that she can paint. Then cut out four or five more plywood bodies in different shapes and she can paint those too. I've seen templates you can download. I even converted a trashed garage sale short board into a long board to see what the fuss was all about, using some scrap plywood.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how+to+build+a+longboard+skateboard+

20. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Holic

It's been a long time since I've been into skateboarding.

Iirc Skateboards usually came in a standard length and various sized widths. Skinnier width is a bit easier to control then wider boards, while wide boards have mire stability etc.

I'd do a straight up build with her. Buying the bits and odds is fun and assembly is satisfying. Don't skimp on trucks/wheels.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.