Starter LVLP spraying setup - what to get?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by newuser1, Feb 12, 2020.

1. newuser1

newuser1 Tele-Meister

I'm tired of spraying with cans (expensive and less than stellar results) and I'm looking to buy an inexpensive LVLP spraying system. I watched youtube video by Highline Guitars where they had a great review of this kit:

https://www.amazon.ca/SPRAYIT-SP-33000K-LVLP-Gravity-Spray/dp/B008FDMXRW

Unfortunately I'm in Canada and can't find it anywhere locally.

Can you recommend a decent LVLP setup that won't break the bank?

I'm thinking of buying this small compressor to go with whatever LVLP kit I get:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00UHNM1R0/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&psc=1

Would that compressor work with most LVLP setups?

2. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Afflicted

That compressor doesn't make much air.
    It claims 2.6 cfm@90psi, but most manufacturers claims are on the heavily optimistic side.

The seller says that gun requires 3.5-3.9 cfm@30psi. For best results, I'd think you'd want to make sure the compressor will reliably deliver at least that much.

There is a guy (Jeff Jewitt) in the next town over from me that sells LVLP stuff expressly for finishing guitars. You might check his stuff out.

Here is a link for his outfit -

http://homesteadfinishingproducts.com/

eallen, DonM and newuser1 like this.
  3. newuser1

newuser1 Tele-Meister

Thanks George,

This guy doesn't ship to Canada unless you go through his eBay store and his stuff is quite expensive. I would get this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008FDMXRW/?tag=tdpri-20 from Amazon.com, but the seller doesn't ship to Canada. The joys of being Canadian...

Anybody else wants to chime in?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
    old wrench likes this.
  4. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Suggest you contact Jeff Jewitt at Homestead Finishing for excellent advise on guns as well as as a source. He fulfilled via EBAY so that "should" permit shipment to you up north. I'm exceedingly pleased with the new gun I purchased from him early last year as well as with the 3M PPS cup system on it.

newuser1 likes this.
  5. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Harbor Freight has 'the purple sprayer' for $20, follow youtube videos to clean & prep it for use, and it does better than rattle cans. Mostly, it sprays better than typical hobby painters can do. Only get the super fancy $500 sprayer units if you know how to spray. The youtube videos are key though.

I assume Canadian Tire has the same sprayer.

JAckal66, eallen and newuser1 like this.
  6. newuser1

newuser1 Tele-Meister

Is this the spray gun you are talking about?

https://www.harborfreight.com/20-oz-HVLP-Gravity-Feed-Air-Spray-Gun-62300.html

Canadian Tire don't have it.

Also it looks like the purple sprayer is HVLP gun, and I'm not sure it would work with a small compressor like this:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00UHNM1R0/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&psc=1

The only decent (price and quality) thing LVLP spray kit I can find locally in Canada is this, but is still $200+ with tax:

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/sprayit-lvlp-low-volume-low-pressure-spray-gun-kit/1000718437#

7. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

8. Jim_in_PA

Keep in mind that many of those "all in one" type sprayers were not really designed for lower viscosity finishes as are commonly used for things like guitars and many don't have alternative needle/tip setups.

newuser1 likes this.
  9. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

newuser1 likes this.
  10. sleazy pot pie

sleazy pot pie Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have a small 8gal compressor and buy “disposable “ guns from amazon
    Cheap 15-30$ guns
    If I had it to do over I would just buy the earlier 5500 all in one deal.
    I am squirreling away money now to buy one

11. eallen

eallen Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I usually wait for the harbor freight to go on sale for $7 or $9 & by a handful of them. I toss away a few a year. Now mind you I have use the best of the best and get by with lessor equipment over time of experience. My real reason for cheap is I am terrible about leaving finish in them for a long time & I hate cleaning them out.
    All in all though, unless they start leaking at the handle seal a good cleaning gets them back to 100%.

If you are a beginner sprayer I wouldn't spend a bunch on a spray rig until you get some experience. A pancake will run a gravity feed gun for just doing a guitar everyonce in a while. Gravity feed guns are not the same as hvlp or lvlp.

I would get a cheap gun to play with and get familiarized with how they work and practice. If you decide you like spraying get something better.

Eric

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    newuser1 and old wrench like this.
  12. Jim_in_PA

Gravity or pot can both be HVLP or LVLP...it's how the gun it setup to delivery the material, not what the finish is contained in that determines "conventional" vs HVLP vs LVLP. Air source is also not relevant...it can be air from a compressor or air from a turbine. Both support multiple gun types with the major requirement being that the gun is designed for either turbine (big hose) or compressed air (little hose..."conversion gun" relative to HPLV or LPLV)

newuser1 likes this.
  13. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Afflicted

I don't feel like I'm knowledgeable enough to make recommendations about spraying equipment. I just don't know enough about the different types of spraying systems to tell someone "this is what you need".

I can however, relate my experience with the stuff I've used myself.

I've used the low priced purple guns and jamb guns for painting quite a bit of motorcycle and auto stuff. They work OK for me too, but I've also got a 5hp 60 gallon compressor to run them. I use them in the garage or outdoors.

I've got a small indoor "paint booth" that I've been using for my guitar related paint and coatings. My indoor compressor is smaller - it's an older American made 3hp 20 gallon.

I've been using this gun for lacquer sanding sealer and lacquer top coats:

https://www.harborfreight.com/120-cc-hvlp-touch-up-air-spray-gun-61473.html

And this gun for spraying dyes and sunburst-type finishes where I'm using more reducer to dilute the stuff I'm applying. It doesn't spray much volume, but it has nice small spray pattern and it's easy to control:

https://www.harborfreight.com/adjustable-detail-spray-gun-92126.html

I know there are much better spray guns available and I'd like to have one :), but I really don't have the money to spend on them - my money goes for other stuff that has higher priority. And after all, both of those guns work good for me and the finishes that I spray.

I'd want to make sure that I've got a compressor that makes enough air to properly atomize the coating I'm using and also keep up with enough air so I can work at a steady pace without stopping for air pressure to build up.

eallen and newuser1 like this.
  14. newuser1

newuser1 Tele-Meister

15. eallen

I think we agree Jim.

I don't see a gun being gravity feed as automatically making it hvlp. In my experience, cheap guns like the harbor freight that label themselves as hvlp are not capable of providing the material transfer at a low cap air pressure to truly qualify. Slap it on a compressor able to provide the high CFM required and it won't change their ability due to internal design.

It is only allowable for non solvent based materials, meaning you could use it with water bourn lacquer, which is different stuff than traditional.

Eric

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    Jim_in_PA likes this.
  16. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

17. newuser1

newuser1 Tele-Meister

18. newuser1

newuser1 Tele-Meister

Eric, where did you find a description of what can you spray with this gun?

19. eallen

There is a question someone asked lower on the amazon page that the manufacturer answered as water based only. I always look because it is quit common for the affordable home paint type guns. Also always recommended going to the manufacturer page and downloading the manual to check things out.

Eric

20. sleazy pot pie

sleazy pot pie Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

the issue with this one, aside from not being able to use solvent based materials, is that the air flows the entire time, and you can’t adjust the shape of the flow.
    So you won’t be able to do any shading or bursts.
    This is the same with the rockler/harbor freight sprayer. also, the reservoir is on the bottom, so you have to fill it with more material than you would with a gravity gun. So the potential for waste is pretty big.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.