1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Start Gigging Later In Life?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by smoothrecluse, Jan 17, 2021.

1. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Way after my 20s. I was right around 47, actually.

I didn't gig as a teen. I played for a party once back then, not a booked/paying gig, just a casual arrangement for me to play and sing. And I hated the experience. My fellow teens treated me like I was a flesh-covered radio; I was just the white noise. I wasn't prepared for that. I was too insecure to perform music for people that showed no apparent interest, that gave no validation. So that was it.

And then I married at 19, and my wife conceived our firstborn 6 months later. So we were kids having kids, and the idea of trying to make a go of it musically, or even being a weekend warrior, was out of the question. I never stopped playing guitar through the years; I just didn't gig.

Fast forward to the year 2000, and the last of my three children got married. After she left home, I bought my first ever acoustic/electric guitar. I asked around and got a gig at a local coffee shop, and played through a borrowed amp (a Carvin AG100, IIRC). After that, for my birthday my kids and wife went in together on buying me a Crate TX30 "Taxi" amp, a Shure SM58 and a mic stand, and I was on my way.

And I still don't like being treated like a flesh-covered radio, but I'm not quite as insecure as I was in my teens. I've just accepted that Americans typically listen to live music that way. Plus I get enough verbal affirmation and tip money to keep me going.

2. hotraman

hotraman Tele-Afflicted

I started playing gigs at 16 and never stopped.
    Mainly gospel, folk rock and harmony based singing bands.
    At 64, I'm busy as ever. Lots of church services ( they are starting to open up here in the PNW)
    Playing pedal steel has brought new opportunities too.
    I have a 1970's folk trio project starting soon, too.

TwoBear and smoothrecluse like this.
  3. TwoBear

TwoBear Tele-Meister

Busk across America...or 'The Big Blue Marble'...or...?

smoothrecluse likes this.
  4. Rasmuth

Rasmuth Tele-Afflicted

I started gigging 4 years and 2 months ago...when I was 53. Had never played live before that. I figured I should give it a shot before I regret not doing it. It has been far more rewarding than I ever could have imagined it. I love it.

5. TwoBear

TwoBear Tele-Meister

Where is the I like that very much button to push?

LGOberean likes this.
  6. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

Yes. I was over 40. I had played in front of people before that, many times, but only a few times in a bar. I took right to it.

7. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

I played exactly one live gig as a 16 year old, with my garage band.

Then I played a variety of gigs from my teens all through the years into my 40's, though always as a side man, guest musician, one-off band member, or event coordinator.

Formed a band in my 50's, and have been playing steadily (until covid that is) ever since.

It's great to finally play live events when you actually know what you are doing.
    This much is true.

:)

riverfest16band.JPG

8. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Afflicted

I didn't really get serious about guitar until I had gotten through grad school. So, I didn't gig until my late 20s. I did gig often over the next 10+ years. Then, life just became too busy, and I had to give it up. I haven't gigged since I was around 40.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.