1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Star Wars

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Steerforth, Jan 23, 2021.

1. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

I think it’s time that I watch the, “Star Wars” movies. I’ve waited forty-four years since the first one came out. It’s time for me to see what all the hoopla is about.

Should I watch them in release order, or chronological order according to the storyline?

2. Suproman

Suproman Tele-Meister

I would watch them in release order.

Marc Morfei, Tyuk, beanluc and 28 others like this.
  3. Richie Cunningham

Richie Cunningham Tele-Afflicted

And watch the old THX remasters, not the special editions or anything that came after, when it comes to the original trilogy.

Tyuk, Sconnie, Festofish and 8 others like this.
  4. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Yeah, what @Suproman said. The story was meant to unfold in the order of the movie releases. I think the impact of of some things would be lost - better to have these "oh, that's why that happened later.." moments, than "yeah, that was predictable" in the episodes 4-6 (releases 1-3). They're not all great, though. And, try to remember what movies were like before the first one came out (1977)... it helps.

5. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

In release order, you must watch

6. Henley

Henley Tele-Holic

..I'd wait another 40. :p

Pualee, 7171551, getbent and 8 others like this.
  7. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I’ve seen all of them. The story is hokey. The physics is fantasy, not science. But it’s entertainment. Accept it for what it is. Fun. And the leading ladies? That’s where you find the fantasies that keep you coming back.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
  8. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

[​IMG]

9. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

It’s like what JI LI said...basically comic books put to film.

And that’s okay.

10. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

i would watch...star wars 1977...then empire strikes back 1980...then return of the jedi 1983

and skip the rest

11. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

Honestly,

I'd recommend watching episodes 4to6 (the original trilogy).
    Then start watching the Mandalorian.

If you get bored, watch the prequel trilogy.

Do not watch the most recent trilogy. If you skip it entirely, your opinion of the franchise will be better.

12. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

My daughters are after me about the whole thing. They’ve decided that I should watch, “The Mandalorian” and that I need to do the preparatory viewing first.

They’re like their mother. Once they decide something, that’s it. So I’ve resigned myself to becoming a, “Star Wars” expert. :lol:

I don’t even know what a “Mandalorian” is. I thought you found them in Bluegrass bands or something.

13. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

A New Hope, then Empire Strikes Back, done.

After that came the ****zus, then predictable Disney apologies for Carrie Fisher’s bikini scene.

Ed Driscoll and Steerforth like this.
  14. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Holic

Watch them in release order, then watch them in chronological order. However, do not fall into the stigma surrounding the prequel trilogy.

Edit: I would also tell you to read the original EU books now called Legends. They provide a comprehensive and relatively connected story from the birth of the Jedi approximately 20000 years before Star Wars IV through to over 120 years after Star Wars Episode VI. There are some amazing plot lines in here that Disney just said nope too. Sadly, in my opinion any of them would have made a better trilogy than what they made.

If you like comic books the best place to start is the original plot for Episodes VII through IX called Star Wars Dark Empire. This was supposedly written from the original Lucas script. This story is with out spoiling anything, the story that got me to watch and read anything put out before Disney even thought about buying it. It's what drove me to beg my dad to let us watch them. So well written and so well drawn.

Steerforth likes this.
  15. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

I’m not sure what year, I’m 48 and was little, but the first time I saw Star Wars was on a VCR that my uncle owned that was as big as a 100 watt amp head on a 5” black and white TV screen.

Steerforth likes this.
  16. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Holic

Can you still get them on Dvd or Blu-Ray? I remember watching them with my dad when I was 12, but I don't remember the medium. He borrowed them from a guy at work. They I got all six for Christmas.

Steerforth likes this.
  17. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Holic

Read the old EU books. They have better plots than most of the stuff coming out of Disney. I have read a good number of them. Although there are a few plot wholes, they provide a much richer experience than most of the Disney stuff. You even get to meet Luke's wife Mara Jade. Possibly the most [email protected]@ss character in any Star Wars timeline.

This little drawing is from a book called Survivor's Quest by Timothy Zahn. Who was contracted by Disney to rewrite his story arc to fit what Disney did to the story line because according to Mrs. Kennedy "We have no books or material to go on for this movie series. We have to create everything from scratch." I might be paraphrasing but this is essentially what she said. But remember before those movies came out there were star wars books and comics published at least bi-yearly between 1977 and 2007.

[​IMG]

Steerforth likes this.
  18. edvard

edvard Tele-Afflicted

Watch them in "machete order"

IV - Star Wars
    V - Empire Strikes Back
    II - Attack of the Clones
    III - Revenge of the Sith
    VI - Return of the Jedi

Why? Long explanation here: (Link removed, I don't want to spoil too much)
    but I'll spare you that;
    Basically this order keeps it the story of Luke Skywalker, so you get where his story begins (IV), the big plot twist (V), an extended flashback (II & III), and the final redemption story (VI). Two films of Luke, two films of Anakin (Vader), and one film that ties them together. Nice.

But what about episode I? Eh, it's crap and doesn't do really anything for the story, and in fact ruins one of the most ingrained aspects of the entire mythos (I'll spare you). There are two things that might seem inconsistent in episode II that wouldn't make sense if you don't watch episode I, but you'll figure it out.

I would also add that watching "Rogue One" first wouldn't be a bad decision, as it sets up and gives a bit of context to episode IV, but really it's just a damn good film on its own, but it's not necessary

The last 3? Eh, watch them or don't, they don't really add much to the story, and should be judged on their own merits, which are rather mixed, in my opinion. The only interesting thing (IMO) is the wrap-up of Luke's story in episode VIII. I haven't seen episode IX, and at this point, I don't really care enough to do so, but eh, you might find them enjoyable.

19. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Afflicted

Start with Rogue One, which immediately precludes A New Hope and (hot take warning) is the best Star Wars film to date.

20. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Holic

Withdrawn

Steerforth and edvard like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.