Star Wars: What's it all about?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by HoodieMcFoodie, Jul 3, 2019.

1. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

I think Star Wars is a great achievement, up there with Simpsons

I would explain it in the language of the person I was speaking to. A professor would hear me say it is a modern myth. I would tell my dad it was like a spaghetti western in space. My designer girlfriend looks at it as a design masterpiece

It isn't just a sphere of wax. Lots of angles to take on it. If I were to explain it to myself I would mention Joseph Campbell

2. kbold

kbold Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Yes, it was more etherial and Zen-like until the Midi's.
    So, .... why didn't they mention Midi's in the earlier movies, which took place at a later date???? o_O

Piggy Stu likes this.
  3. BuckNekkid

BuckNekkid Tele-Meister

Typical space opera. An oater (an old term for Western) set in space.

JayFreddy likes this.
  4. LunarSlingShot

LunarSlingShot Tele-Holic

The story of a farm boy who, with the help of an old monk, discovers that he has super powers. A smuggler and his dog help the boy use these new skills to defeat an evil empire that is hell bent on enslaving the galaxy. During his adventure he kisses his sister and his father turns out to be a robot villain. Also this is set in space.

5. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

I think Lucas wanted it to be like going to the movies in the 40's on a Saturday
    where you would watch your film and want to come back and see what happened
    next.
    I like them, but, I am a geek and a nerd.
    Did not like the funny clumsy creature with the rabbit ears though.

6. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

I agree. Nearly as bad is the complete thematic miss of the Clone Wars stuff. Wouldn't it have been better to have Jedi vs. clones rather than Jedi and clone vs. droids? Thus asking the question whether it's better to bring each individual to their full effectiveness vs. making a million of your 'best guy' (and Fett really wasn't that good anyway)

7. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Stuff explodes, merriment ensues. The bar band still gets paid the same as 1977.

JayFreddy, Macrogats, jvin248 and 3 others like this.
  8. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Star Wars is a story line created to compel the public into flocking to the local cinema & coughing up $50 to sit in the dark & not talk to your date.

teletimetx likes this.
  9. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

Asceticism, simplicity = good (think Obi Wan)

Overindulgence, greed = bad (think Deathstar)

So Lucas started off w/ this wonderful innocent film but fell victim to visions of greatness and wealth and went to the dark side.

JayFreddy, AAT65, kbold and 1 other person like this.
  10. ahiddentableau

ahiddentableau Tele-Meister

Great answer. I agree, especially with the Campbell stuff. If somebody is more bookish/nerdish, I would use that angle.

Joseph Campbell was this obscure professor who taught at Sarah Lawrence College for decades. In the 80s he did a series on PBS called The Power of Myth. It's just hours of him talking to Bill Moyers. But for reasons that are hard to explain it's spellbinding. Campbell is a beautiful talker. He explains his (Jungian) view that there are fundamental, universial stories common to most every human culture, and the main one is what he calls "the hero's journey." There is a big problem, youth with potential but no knowledge/experience sets out into the world to solve it, dramatic tension and self-learning, failure and reapplication, ultimate growth, and then confrontation and the overcoming of the evil/obstacle. The basic idea is the transformation of an individual from apprentice to master, the transformation of the hero himself in the doing, and this creating a basis for the growth of meaning within a society/culture. Apparently Lucas was influenced by Campbell's book "The Hero With a Thousand Faces" as he name-checked it a fair bit for a while, but some people think it was more opportunitistic because the PBS series was a minor sensation at the time and Campbell expressly used Star Wars as an example in the first episode and spoke of it in a flattering way.

The first three films hold to this script closely, and they are very successful. The prequels hold to it relatively closely if you keep the first three in mind the entire time, but don't really hold to it on their own.

Actually, if I was having this conversation with somebody who hasn't seen any Star Wars movies, I would focus less on explanations and more on encouraging them to start in the right place--namely the original films. I think that advice is more important than any explanation. See the good stuff so you have a fair chance of liking it, then see the rest.

The Campbell series also features my all-time favourite line about tech: "Computers are like an old Testament God: all rules and no mercy."

11. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

My favorite Star Wars fan theory is that the miduchkorians thing is just a crazy tinfoil hat conspiracy theory in the Star Wars universe, and Liam Neeson’s character is just a crackpot for believing it. By the time of the original movie no one believed it any more.

AAT65 likes this.
  12. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Afflicted

Gee...

No wonder I never watched it!

And I'm a sci-fi fan!

I have seen The Hidden Fortress that inspired it supposedly and LOVED that!

TEX

13. Allan Allan

Allan Allan Tele-Meister

In my experience, if they're over 10 years old their taste has been spoiled by modern entertainment, the original trilogy will just be "some corny space movie" the prequel trilogy will be a "REALLY BAD, space movie" and the current trilogy will be a remake of those old corny ones.

Jim622 likes this.
  14. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

@ahiddentableau

Absolutely; the Joseph Campbell view works perfectly on the first movies.

But talking to anyone who isn't into analyzing the sociological impact of mythology on a society, I'd say Star Wars is about watching 3 really good scifi movies and avoiding all subsequent sequels on order to maintain your high opinion of them...

Pasta Player and ahiddentableau like this.
  15. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Tele-Afflicted

Why would they quit if they keep making money though?

16. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Right. No reason for them to, when it's become high church for the faithful masses.

17. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Tele-Afflicted

Well, you gotta have faith. Or so I’ve heard.

18. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

Kid lives on a farm, finds his dads old teacher(but he doesn’t know that yet). The old teacher gets the kid involved in crimes including piracy, coercion, and even kills a guy in a bar fight. The old guy, the pirate, break into the kids dad’s work to free a prisoner, who later ends up being the kids sister. Anyway, the teacher confronts the kids dad(we still don’t know that yet) and try’s to fight him for not doing better in school. Dad slices right through him and he disappears. The pirates, the kid and the prisoner woman all escape and bring their friends back to blow up his dad’s work.

In the next movie the kid has to live inside a llama, he kisses his sister(still doesn’t know that yet), he goes the to jungle to party with another of his dad’s old teachers(still doesn’t know), the pirates get swallowed by a monster while running from the cops(they escape). The pirates and the sister go to a city in the clouds, aptly named ‘cloud city’ to hide out with the pirate captains much cooler friend from their youth, he double crosses the pirates and the lady for the cops, but then triple crosses the cops for his friends, after they turn the pirate captain into a refrigerator door. The kid shows up to help his friends, ends up fighting his dad who finally tells him he’s his dad, right after he cut off his hand. The kid, the remaining pirates, and his sister(still doesn’t know) all escape and he gets a wicked awesome robot hand.

Third movie:
    Pirates sneak into a worms house disguised as different pirates. The kid shows up and makes a couple pigs choke. The kid talks to the worm about letting his refrigerator door go and offers him robots. The work says now and makes him fight a puppet. He beats the puppet by closing it in a door. Meanwhile: the sister, (we still don’t know) gets the pirate captain out of the refrigerator door when she thinks she’s alone, turns out the room was absolutely full of people. Anyways the kid, the pirates, and the robots get put on a barge to get thrown inside of a hole monster. Luckily, the kid perfected a magic art since the last movie and destroys the Roman style feast the worm and his friends were having saving everyone and killing everyone else. Long story short: dad is building another work, the pirates and the kid orchestrate another attack, they befriend some teddy bears who initially try to eat them, but they worship one of the robots who is their friend. So The kid tells his sister that she’s his sister and that their dad is the one who sucks so bad. He surrenders to his dad and tries to have some real dad talk with him, which is tough since they’ve literally only spoke while trying to kill each other. Anyway, the dad’s boss convinced him to fight the kid, which eventually backfired and he throws his boss down a hole, but not before his boss super electrocuted him with his fingers. Dad dies, it’s very touching despite the complete and total lack of a relationship. The the kid and the pirates get away.

We won’t talk about the other movies... these are the ones that mattered.

kbold, 1955, Macrogats and 3 others like this.
  19. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

Three good movies? I thought two. The only thing I liked about "The Return of the Jedi" was its badass title.

But then again, I wish Clapton had stopped recording after Derek and the Dominos, so what do I know?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
    Macrogats and beyer160 like this.
  20. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

Space horse opera.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.