1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Star Wars VII Force Awakens - What'd ya think?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Big_Bend, Dec 20, 2015.

1. micpoc

micpoc Friend of Leo's

I despise football, so I never post on football threads here. I'm good with that… and I suspect that the football fans here are as well. ;)

2. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

I have enough shades of grey in my real life. I don't need it in my escapist space fantasy movies.

Actually, this got me thinking about something, and it centers on the difference between Vader and Kylo Ren. Vader was created during the Cold War as the ultimate badass- cold, calculating, and utterly machine like- kind of like the propaganda centered around the countries behind the Iron Curtain, during a time when the ultimate fear was nuclear war with an emotionless empire.

Kylo Ren is a spoiled, whiny brat who wants power, but doesn't want to earn it- he fashions a mask to be like grandpa, pushes people around as long as they can't fight back, blames his parents and everything else he can think of for his failures, and gets his ass beat in spectacular fashion as soon as someone with similar equipment shows up and stands up to him. In a world where mass shootings are unfortunately common, Kylo Ren is a stand in for every impotent loser who thought that taking up a gun and unloading it in a public place would make him a big man.

There's something to be said for the zeitgeist.

Or I've already had too many beers tonight, and I'm over thinking this.

3. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

interesting. Do you find it easier to like something
    you've never seen , or dislike something
    you've never seen? I find the former to be true.
    example: I've never seen Game of Thrones (no HBO)
    but I just know I would love it! From what Ive
    heard, its kind of like Twilight Saga meets Thousand Years' War
    but with naked boobs and sister sex? (not sure about that part
    lol)

anywho...this here is a must see Star___ classic!

ill set this clip up so you'll enjoy it
    readily: her husband is supposed to be dead,
    when an Alien takes the form of him
    all kinds o drama ensues.
    great film! Its a Carpenter joint so you know
    its good.

4. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

We saw it last Tuesday. I went in with no preconceived ideas. I purposely did not watch, read or listen to anything about the movie. To us it was totally entertaining. I can't remember the last film that was this much entertainment. Maybe Finding Nemo.

I'd go see it again. And that is saying a lot

5. Gladiator

Gladiator TDPRI Member

Just thought it was a cut and paste of Episode 4 with gender switches. I think they did it to show the new generation but still, man advance the storyline just a little and don't make the copying so obvious.

6. wildschwein

wildschwein Tele-Afflicted

The prequels all did really well at the box office, sold well on dvd and blueray, spawned new cartoons, comic book and novels and sold heaps of merchandise. The franchise was in great shape when Lucas sold it. In a world where money talks and BS walks the prequels were hardly a fiasco. It's funny that everyone hated them but went to see them multiple times, bought the toys and the dvds and pumped the franchise up to a level that did not exist before 1999.

The only problem with them was that their releases coincided with the rise of a new class of whining, whinging ingrates, who are so spoiled for special FX films; and who had found an echo chamber for their opinions on the Internet. These are same sorts of freaks who would try to petition to stop Ben Affleck playing Batman, and talk about the overuse of lens flares in the new Star Trek films.

7. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

But they were pretty bad, actually.

8. wildschwein

That's an opinion that is as valid as me liking them. What can't be argued with is that they grew the value of the franchise.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  9. dlew919

dlew919 Doctor of Teleocity

I want to disagree because they were seen as pretty bad. And I personally can't stand them. Have watched the first two exactly once. Still can't bring myself to watch the third. But you give me facts. Curse you. ;)

10. Coop47

Coop47 Poster Extraordinaire

True, but they severely damaged Lucas's reputation.

11. wildschwein

I saw Phantom Menace 9 times when it was released at the cinema, saw Attack of the Clones 5 times and Revenge of the Sith about 3 times but have seen them all quite a few times since on TV and DVD -- also have watched them all with voice-over commentary on the DVDs which is well worth it.

12. wildschwein

Maybe amongst the aforementioned whingers I was talking about but if he were to die tomorrow he would go down in history as one of the most important filmmakers of the 20th Century. For comparison everyone despised Michael Jackson until he dropped dead -- after that all his perceived sins were forgiven and he was praised for his genius without question.

13. GuitarKid

GuitarKid Tele-Holic

In my less critical me, I liked the movie. It was entertaining. In my critical me, there are things I didn't like about the movie. I think they repeated a lot of ideas from previous movies. I think the emotions were not deep enough in this movie. Even Han Solo's death. To me it was a big mistake to kill Han Solo. Some people say Harrison Ford wanted his character killed; if that's the case, ok, but he could have been killed in better, more dramatic ways. I could go on. Finally, I didn't like the girl.

14. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

So, if people didn't like the prequels, they're whingers??

15. Mellencaster

Mellencaster Friend of Leo's

It was less of dramatic death was my first thought and it raised an idea that he may come back. The plausibility maybe slim but I wouldn't be surprised, if they did.

16. Vladimir

Vladimir Friend of Leo's

My issues with the movie:
    - The dialogue is too Jesse - New Girl , I mean, really Disney!
    - What kind of a Sith is that, can't even control his own temper. And the mask, looks like a bride from the middle east.
    - Too many illogical details to mention

But, it's Star Wars and not seeing it would be a mistake

17. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

I liked it.

It seemed kinda Star Warszy.

18. Tatercaster

Tatercaster Friend of Leo's

No Boba Fett
    Han dies
    New Jedi chick
    More light sabers and blasters

Kylo Ren was a whiney, temper-tantrum throwin' wuss like Anakin was in the prequel trilogy. The Darth Vader of Episode IV force strangles a guy in the first 5 minutes of the movie! Never does he throw a tantrum and destroy his own quarters. Kylo Ren gets his butt kicked by a girl.

19. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    I loved it.

It was much better than Cats.

I'm going to see it again and again.

20. beach bob

beach bob Friend of Leo's

Did anyone see Kylo Ren in action, and think of JP from the movie Grandma's Boy?

If it's just me... please; someone let me know :lol:

Again let me state: I LOVED The Force Awakens! That doesn't mean there isn't fun to be made at its expense :p

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.